Industry News: Nikon Teases Their Full Frame Mirrorless Camera & New Mount

May 11, 2017
melgross said:
There are three markets, really. The first one Canon has covered with their present M series, which is doing very well, thank you.

As far as FF goes, there are two more markets. These who just want a FF sensor for dynamic and noise reasons, and will be happy with a small, light and relatively inexpensive body, and likely won’t be buying more than two or three consumer grade lenses. Say, the 6D people.

The other wants a more top end sensor, and a bigger heavier body with much more sophistication. It’s the 1Ds/5D crowd, vs the Rebel crowd.

There are always those in between, of course. I suppose that if Canon is coming out with two, as Nikon seems to be, they will cover both ends, though not the extremes, as yet. The ELV is still the sticking point for 1Ds users, according to canon’s statements.

One of the wild cards is video, I think. The case for mirrorless gets more persuasive if video is part of the equation. However, hand held video has its limitations, and working on a tripod limits the appeal of an EVF in comparison to using the rear screen. So, one question would seem to be whether there is a part of the market that is particularly responsive to strong video capabilities, rather than just being infatuated with video centric magic numbers.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
BillB said:
melgross said:
There are three markets, really. The first one Canon has covered with their present M series, which is doing very well, thank you.

As far as FF goes, there are two more markets. These who just want a FF sensor for dynamic and noise reasons, and will be happy with a small, light and relatively inexpensive body, and likely won’t be buying more than two or three consumer grade lenses. Say, the 6D people.

The other wants a more top end sensor, and a bigger heavier body with much more sophistication. It’s the 1Ds/5D crowd, vs the Rebel crowd.

There are always those in between, of course. I suppose that if Canon is coming out with two, as Nikon seems to be, they will cover both ends, though not the extremes, as yet. The ELV is still the sticking point for 1Ds users, according to canon’s statements.

One of the wild cards is video, I think. The case for mirrorless gets more persuasive if video is part of the equation. However, hand held video has its limitations, and working on a tripod limits the appeal of an EVF in comparison to using the rear screen. So, one question would seem to be whether there is a part of the market that is particularly responsive to strong video capabilities, rather than just being infatuated with video centric magic numbers.

I found the video boring and not compelling. Almost like it was a spoof of an old Star Trek movie or show - like what you might see on an old episode of: Mystery Theater 3000.

You make a great observation Bill. I would add this thought/question to the mix.

Canon (as is any company) is not only looking at selling to existing customers - they want to add new customers all the time. And if the younger generations (I'm a 60's born dude myself, so Gen-X) are used to Smartphones from the time they are practically walking, then Canon is going to need make/offer products that are compelling for these younger ones to use - smaller, lighter, but with all the latest tech. "My $800-1,000 smartphone shoots 4K and fits in my front pants pocket. So why should I buy a tank-of-a-camera and pay $4,000 and it doesn't even shoot full, 4K video?" We are also living in, at least in western cultures and specifically in America, the age of FADS. And companies would do well to recognize this a offer at least a few products to appeal to this part of the market. (And yes, I know that for these types of products due to the tech, manufacturing processes/time, etc. that this is hard to do.) But some "FADS" can last a long time, especially if companies offer compelling products for the "FAD". I think Canon has done very well for a long time.

I can't wait to see the final results of both what Canon's new MLS-FF offerings will be and Nikon's...
Good times for all. Sony needs to get back to the point where their products' reputation is as good as Minolta's products used to be. I remember back when Minolta had the Maxxum line of autofocus cameras (when that tech was first getting introduced...).

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
BillB said:
melgross said:

I wish we had good numbers as to what percentage of people buying cameras actually use them for anything near “serious” video. I never see people using a DSLR to shoot video. It’s always a smartphone. Canon has excellent camera lines for video, that are video cameras. What happened to that 1Ds variant that was for video? I don’t think it did that well.

It’s very possible that there exists a small, but very vocal, group of people that do use DSLRs for video, but that most people don’t. At least, that’s what I believe.

Video will never be more than an add-on to a still camera. Whatever people may think, the ergonomics of still cameras is very different from those of video cameras. You can shoot either with either, but it will never be more than a compromise.

Upvote 0
melgross said:
I wish we had good numbers as to what percentage of people buying cameras actually use them for anything near “serious” video. I never see people using a DSLR to shoot video. It’s always a smartphone. Canon has excellent camera lines for video, that are video cameras. What happened to that 1Ds variant that was for video? I don’t think it did that well.

It’s very possible that there exists a small, but very vocal, group of people that do use DSLRs for video, but that most people don’t. At least, that’s what I believe.

Video will never be more than an add-on to a still camera. Whatever people may think, the ergonomics of still cameras is very different from those of video cameras. You can shoot either with either, but it will never be more than a compromise.

I don't know what the numbers would say, but I use my DSRLs for video for my kids plays/shows/recitals. And yes, it's usually on a tripod and I record the audio separately. I used to use a camcorder for this purpose (Canon HV20?) years ago (handheld, what was I thinking?), but the DSLR solution is much easier for me. I already have the lenses and tripod, so getting video in addition to pictures requires using a second body (a backup). Larger sensor, better lenses than dedicated camcorders with no additional cost to me. Atop the tripod, the camera is > 6 ft off the ground and clears the audience armed with ipads/cell phones. I set up the tripod against the back wall, but with f/2.8 or f/4 zooms, I can still frame the way I want and have a reasonable ISO.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
From Nikon rumors: "I am just questioning my own rumors - could this be a medium format camera?"

Probably not, but if one of Canon's new MILC cameras turns out to be medium format I'm going to laugh my a$$ off... and maybe buy a camera (Medium format, huge new mount).

If Canon's new mount (provided there is a new mount at all) is for a MF camera, how many here would be giggling along with me after all the small mount panic going on around here? ;)

---

Canon's newest camera? It's a mirrorless MF system! There I Said It! Big New Mount with 50 megapixels sensor at 25 fps burst rate AND two SSD flash drives rather than small CF or SD-like cards. Fully articulated 2.7k high frame rate live-view screen.
Lots of primes and three zoom lenses coming out right out of the gate!

DCI 4K 4:4:4 RAW video and DCI 4K 4:2:2 interframe encoded 60 fps video at full 4096 by 2160 sampled from ENTIRE sensor with full DPAF and better noise handling/reduction than even Canon 1DxMk2!

YES YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

P.S. Sony's newest upcoming MF camera is even better specced-out! With Much Better Codec that has more frames rates, frame sizes, aspect ratios, multiple colour sample-formatted pixel types and coming right of the gate with the FASTEST 16mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm prime lenses ---EVER--- besting even the Zeiss Otus series! It will be a portaiture and ultra-wide LANDSCAPE MASTER MONSTER of a camera/lens combo!

P.S.2 -- I Told You So......

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
P.S. Sony's newest upcoming MF camera is even better specced-out! With Much Better Codec that has more frames rates, frame sizes, aspect ratios, multiple colour sample-formatted pixel types and coming right of the gate with the FASTEST 16mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm prime lenses ---EVER--- besting even the Zeiss Otus series! It will be a portaiture and ultra-wide LANDSCAPE MASTER MONSTER of a camera/lens combo!

That doesn't sound right - why would Sony release 16/35/50/85 primes on medium format? Depending on the sensor size those would all be way wider equivalents to their full frame counterparts. Even if the sensor was the same size as the GFX50s those lenses would be the equivalent to 12.64/27.65/39.5/67.15 in full frame. If it were a portraiture monster there would likely be something longer available, I would think.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
HarryFilm said:
Canon's newest camera? It's a mirrorless MF system! There I Said It! Big New Mount with 50 megapixels sensor at 25 fps burst rate AND two SSD flash drives rather than small CF or SD-like cards. Fully articulated 2.7k high frame rate live-view screen...

...YES YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

To put this into context:

HarryFilm said:
...BUT...we DO have another software surprise for you which should be happening right around this coming Wednesday....

HarryFilm said:
...Anyways there IS A VERY DIFFERENT SURPRISE coming
your way, so keep watching ON THIS FORUM HERE in
the next 5 to 7 days to see what's up on that end!

It's a dooozy of a surprise !!!!!! :) ;-) :) ;-)

To remind everyone:

unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
Still waiting...

June 5. Still waiting....

June 13. Still waiting...

July 5: Still waiting

July 24: Still waiting

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
melgross said:

One of Canon's justification for the quality of video in the 5DIV was that their research had shown that a vast majority of people who shoot video shoot 10-15 second clips to supplement stills, and is not a major consideration in the buying decision. I can only take them at face value but did wonder if this was more post-hoc justification than design decision.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
HarryFilm said:
Canon's newest camera? It's a mirrorless MF system! There I Said It! Big New Mount with 50 megapixels sensor at 25 fps burst rate AND two SSD flash drives rather than small CF or SD-like cards. Fully articulated 2.7k high frame rate live-view screen...

HarryFilm said:
...BUT...we DO have another software surprise for you which should be happening right around this coming Wednesday....

HarryFilm said:

To remind everyone:

unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
Still waiting...

---

To put it BLUNTLY and simply...I don't have to care what YOU say or any ANYONE thinks on here any more! The SIMPLE FACT OF THE MATTER...IS......THAT I actually DO KNOW MORE about what's coming down the pipeline THAN YOU DO !!!!!

Why?

Because the company that bought MY codec is making sure it's TELLING ME DIRECTLY what's coming down the pipeline THAT'S WHY! And I ensured my NDA and and sales agreement allows me to do so....AND THE REWARD for that 444/422 codec
is WHY there is a Bell 429 and a Knight XV parked in my hangar....THAT'S WHY!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
HarryFilm said:
---

To put it BLUNTLY and simply...I don't have to care what YOU say or any ANYONE thinks on here any more! The SIMPLE FACT OF THE MATTER...IS......THAT I actually DO KNOW MORE about what's coming down the pipeline THAN YOU DO !!!!!

Why?

Because the company that bought MY codec is making sure it's TELLING ME DIRECTLY what's coming down the pipeline THAT'S WHY! And I ensured my NDA and and sales agreement allows me to do so....AND THE REWARD for that 444/422 codec

But...I thought it was your employer who owned the codec and told you you could not release it rights-free because you wrote it on their company time?

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
HarryFilm said:
unfocused said:
HarryFilm said:

HarryFilm said:

HarryFilm said:

To remind everyone:

unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
Still waiting...

---

Why?

Aggression is a sign of weakness. All codecs conform to international standards, yours if indeed you have written any will be just the same otherwise they will not work with anything else in the chain. Many claim unique products but dig deeper and they are generally based off of what they learnt from others but with improvements. The mobile phone industry is a prime example of one company suing another company and then the counter claim i.e. Apple verses Samsung but both rely on prior art of others.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
unfocused said:
HarryFilm said:

Why?

So funny.

The problem with you Harry is that like so many liars, at some point you can't keep all your lies straight. Let me refresh your memory:

Back in April you announced you had sold your soul to the corporate overlords that you so heartily despised. And, that those corporate overlords had forbidden you to release your super duper extra special codex for free to the world. So, in compensation to your beloved followers on Canon Rumors you were unveiling a NEW SOFTWARE SURPRISE.

My thread simply recounts that this super duper surprise you promised everyone has yet to materialize.

It's an excellent reminder to the readers of this forum that you are a pathetic liar and that those unfamiliar with your history need to be aware that nothing that you write is true.

I find it amusing that now that you have sold your super duper codex to some unnamed company, you suddenly have inside corporate information on what every single camera manufacturer is preparing to release over the coming months and years.

I hope you enjoy flying around in your imaginary helicopter. But be sure and be back in time for mom to pop your lunch of pizza snacks in the microwave and call you up from the basement.

On the BRIGHT SIDE, other than TYPING IN ALL CAPS and using EXCLAMATION MARKS and ellipses for... UNKNOWN REASONS, Harry is PRETTY ENTERTAINING!!! I mean, I have no idea where he comes up with all this stuff, and some of it is totally outrageous, but it's certainly worth a chuckle or two, and I think the occasional Harry post has had me spew out coffee in laughter. It's certainly a lot more fun to read than "death to mechanical parts" trolling.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Talys said:
unfocused said:
HarryFilm said:

Why?

So funny.

The problem with you Harry is that like so many liars, at some point you can't keep all your lies straight. Let me refresh your memory:

Back in April you announced you had sold your soul to the corporate overlords that you so heartily despised. And, that those corporate overlords had forbidden you to release your super duper extra special codex for free to the world. So, in compensation to your beloved followers on Canon Rumors you were unveiling a NEW SOFTWARE SURPRISE.

My thread simply recounts that this super duper surprise you promised everyone has yet to materialize.

It's an excellent reminder to the readers of this forum that you are a pathetic liar and that those unfamiliar with your history need to be aware that nothing that you write is true.

I find it amusing that now that you have sold your super duper codex to some unnamed company, you suddenly have inside corporate information on what every single camera manufacturer is preparing to release over the coming months and years.

I hope you enjoy flying around in your imaginary helicopter. But be sure and be back in time for mom to pop your lunch of pizza snacks in the microwave and call you up from the basement.

On the BRIGHT SIDE, other than TYPING IN ALL CAPS and using EXCLAMATION MARKS and ellipses for... UNKNOWN REASONS, Harry is PRETTY ENTERTAINING!!! I mean, I have no idea where he comes up with all this stuff, and some of it is totally outrageous, but it's certainly worth a chuckle or two, and I think the occasional Harry post has had me spew out coffee in laughter. It's certainly a lot more fun to read than "death to mechanical parts" trolling.

It is a good laugh, but at some point though, I stop reading the threads where there is too much of it...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
HarryFilm said:
Canon's newest camera? It's a mirrorless MF system! There I Said It! Big New Mount with 50 megapixels sensor at 25 fps burst rate AND two SSD flash drives rather than small CF or SD-like cards. Fully articulated 2.7k high frame rate live-view screen.
Lots of primes and three zoom lenses coming out right out of the gate!

DCI 4K 4:4:4 RAW video and DCI 4K 4:2:2 interframe encoded 60 fps video at full 4096 by 2160 sampled from ENTIRE sensor with full DPAF and better noise handling/reduction than even Canon 1DxMk2!

YES YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Sorry, but this fantasy will not be realized in any scenario that does not involve unicorns pooping doubloons and flying monkeys.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Random Orbits said:
melgross said:

I don't know what the numbers would say, but I use my DSRLs for video for my kids plays/shows/recitals. And yes, it's usually on a tripod and I record the audio separately. I used to use a camcorder for this purpose (Canon HV20?) years ago (handheld, what was I thinking?), but the DSLR solution is much easier for me. I already have the lenses and tripod, so getting video in addition to pictures requires using a second body (a backup). Larger sensor, better lenses than dedicated camcorders with no additional cost to me. Atop the tripod, the camera is > 6 ft off the ground and clears the audience armed with ipads/cell phones. I set up the tripod against the back wall, but with f/2.8 or f/4 zooms, I can still frame the way I want and have a reasonable ISO.

And you’re one of that small number. As I said, I agree that there are people doing this, but I don’t believe it’s a lot of people. What I see is that with sales numbers declin8ng, these companies, originally led by Canon, are trying to add as many features as possible to convince people to buy their products. Some people will do just that.

I simply don’t believe that most people buy cameras for the video features, though some may. I also believe that many who do, never use the feature.

And those who come here and say that they do, don’t disprove my point, because this is a very self selected group, much more involved than the average camera buyer.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Mikehit said:
melgross said:

One of Canon's justification for the quality of video in the 5DIV was that their research had shown that a vast majority of people who shoot video shoot 10-15 second clips to supplement stills, and is not a major consideration in the buying decision. I can only take them at face value but did wonder if this was more post-hoc justification than design decision.

It’s an interesting point, though. If that’s the case, then the quality of those clips aren’t that important, as long as they’re not really bad. There have been some professionals who are using DSLRs for video, but I think that number has declined.

So oddly enough, a number of professional movie and Tv producers are now using iPhones. That’s even for major studio productions. Well, the iPhone puts out a pretty decent 4K video stream, and a pretty good 1080p stream too. The problem is lenses.

But many DSLRs don’t put out video that much better, though the lens problem is alleviated.

Now apple has a patent for adding external lenses for much better picture quality, so who knows where this might lead if they implement it? With smartphone cameras improving much faster, on a one year time frame, using computational photography, we are seeing a major shift.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
HarryFilm said:
---

Why?

But...I thought it was your employer who owned the codec and told you you could not release it rights-free because you wrote it on their company time?

---

My employer DOES OWN the codec....but I get a nice chunk of change because I am working on MUCH MORE esoteric projects than a mere 444/422 codec! Ya think they're gonna let me walk to save a few million when $250 million+ projects are in the pipeline that NEED my expertise?

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
HarryFilm said:
unfocused said:
HarryFilm said:

HarryFilm said:

HarryFilm said:

To remind everyone:

unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
Still waiting...

---

Why?

Aggression is a sign of weakness. All codecs conform to international standards, yours if indeed you have written any will be just the same otherwise they will not work with anything else in the chain. Many claim unique products but dig deeper and they are generally based off of what they learnt from others but with improvements. The mobile phone industry is a prime example of one company suing another company and then the counter claim i.e. Apple verses Samsung but both rely on prior art of others.

===

Why follow ANY standard? When you make your OWN STANDARDS, you OWN the space. My codec is Direct-X/DirectShow/Media Foundation compatible and is of course fully chippable on an FPGA or ASIC. When you're getting a 35% reduction in space requirements compared to MP4/HVEC AND getting between 95% to 98% of the measured visual quality of MP4/HVEC based upon various SMPTE and EBU video quality measurement standards, I think that kinda made the difference for people!

(Size Reduction - Quality Reduction Factor ) x Gained Video Channel Capacity = Profit

A certain company is paying Akamai $30 million U.S. a month for video hosting. Because of this fancy codec of mine, they can reduce that outlay to $20 Million per month and keep the same visual quality level...On a corporate purchase basis, What's Not To Like and Buy?

The results are indisputable and irrefutable! Ergo, a major company said OH YEAH BABY here's a whole pile of moolah! And I say....well in order to get this product ya gotta agree to put this codec in XYZ product that uses this ABC sensor and LENS combination by 123 date and you CANNOT charge any extra licence fees. Those are OUR terms! They said YES! The result of that financial and technology exchange you shall see MUCH SOONER than you think!

It WILL be an utterly complete shocker as to WHAT is being introduced....it will make MANY still photographers and videographers VERY VERY VERY HAPPY !!!!!!

One Camera With All The Most Desirable Features, Made To Rule Them All !!!!

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
HarryFilm said:

We know what happened the last time that was done.

mordor_by_johnnyslowhand.jpg

Upvote 0
ethanz said:
HarryFilm said:

We know what happened the last time that was done.

mordor_by_johnnyslowhand.jpg

---

EEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!! Ya got my reference....

ANYWAYS! You're ALLLLL DOOOMMMEEDDDD !!!!

DOOMED I SAY....

See ya'll at Photokina 2018 !!!

DCI 8K MF cameras, DCI 4K 60 fps 10-bit 444/422 small form factor combined video and stills MIRRORLESS and GLOBAL SHUTTER cameras, ILC smartphones...... ooooohhhhhh BABEEEEE....... it's gonna be a VERY GOOD YEAR ..... !!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0