Industry News: SD Express Delivers New Gigabyte Speeds for SD Memory Cards

I just wanted to give this a bump with the latest news. The SD Express controller tech has finally reached the point where it's production-ready, for use in designing and manufacturing the upcoming camera bodies and new USB/integrated card readers. Cameras and card readers could be released as early as late Summer, if all goes well. The latest controller design is fully compatible with the UHS-2/UHS-1 SD Card interface and can complement or replace CFExpress A/B interfaces in both existing or future camera designs, where CFExpress is undesirable, for whatever reason. Sandisk will be releasing their first SD Express and microSD Express cards later this year, in mid-range capacities starting at 256GB, which are the best choice for stability and performance at this time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just wanted to give this a bump with the latest news. The SD Express controller tech has finally reached the point where it's production-ready, for use in designing and manufacturing the upcoming camera bodies and new USB/integrated card readers. Cameras and card readers could be released as early as late Summer, if all goes well. The latest controller design is fully compatible with the UHS-2/UHS-1 SD Card interface and can complement or replace CFExpress A/B interfaces in both existing or future camera designs, where CFExpress is undesirable, for whatever reason. Sandisk will be releasing their first SD Express and microSD Express cards later this year, in mid-range capacities starting at 256GB, which are the best choice for stability and performance at this time.
I wonder if this means the rumored 100mp studio camera will also end up being a sports beast too? Investing in a high mp camera like that would be very worthwhile to me. Crop, crop, crop while using my 135mm. Of course, that rumored camera is probably too far into the design phase to be in the first iteration.

Upvote 0
I wonder if this means the rumored 100mp studio camera will also end up being a sports beast too? Investing in a high mp camera like that would be very worthwhile to me. Crop, crop, crop while using my 135mm. Of course, that rumored camera is probably too far into the design phase to be in the first iteration.
You wouldn't see such a camera until CFExpress and SD Express made a generational jump to PCIe 4 or 5, preferably 5 for both. Spec-wise, both are almost neck and neck with their on-paper capabilities, but CF Express definitely has the capacity and performance edge. Such a camera would require a lot of battery power to deal with moving that much data around and a monster DIGIC SoC, with a large 3D stacked-memory buffer. Very expensive cutting-edge stuff. You'd likely see such a camera from Sony before anyone else.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You'd likely see such a camera from Sony before anyone else.
Well, I don't know how anyone can make that prediction. I know a lot of people like to believe Sony is the cutting edge (not you), but I think they tend to hyper focus on Sony and fail to remember the innovations of other companies. Fanboyism can infect and destroy sober judgement. While you obviously have a deeper technical knowledge base than most, that doesn't prevent know nothing's from being blind and seeking a confirmation of their bias.

They rattle off lists of innovations, but they don't understand that the number of innovations means less than the significance of the innovations. I say this without any list of any of these companies, but I am sure somebody keeps track. I'm unable to keep pace. :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0