Industry News: Sony FX3 leaks ahead of an official announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update: SonyAlphaRumors is now reporting that this new Sony camera will not shoot 8K and will top out at 4K 120P. Along with this correction, they are reporting that the FX3 will use CFExpress type A and will retail at €3795.

It looks like Sony is going after both Blackmagic Designs and Canon with their next cinema camera, the Sony FX3 (ILME-FX3). It appears to be an E-mount cinema camera with impressive known specs.
According to SonyAlphaRumors the camera will have the following capabilities, and much more.
“New 8K ILME VIDEO CAM! It Can Shoot UHD 8K, Oversampled DCI 4K, HFR UHD 4K.”
The exact announcement date is unknown at this time, but I’m sure the leaks will be flowing freely over the next little while...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020
This looks like the first self-contained pocket cinema camera.
8K does not really make sense for the form factor but who knows?
FX3 will either have to cost more than FX6 or have lower specs if Sony does not want to piss their existing customers off.
There are so many interesting cameras coming out right now that are impossible to get so I will wait until it all shakes out.

Upvote 0
While I have absolutely no experience operating a dedicated video camera, I find it interesting that this device has both a record button and a traditional shutter button. I wonder if this is targeted to do some more hybrid work, but instead of adding video capability to a photo camera it's adding photo capability to a video camera?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
ZV-1 has ND filters so I would not be so sure
It is a fixed lens camera, no interchangeable lenses. Also, technically speaking, it has only one ND filter with 2 stops that is built into the optical formula, like on the Canon XC10 or XC15 (also fixed lens, there it is 3 stops)
Much better than nothing, but really not that useful if you are a professional.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Video camera is a photo camera. Photographers I’m sure are frustrated, but video is the current frontier.

Makes sense though if you think about it. The more use a company gets out of a camera design the more cost effective the cameras can be. I primarily take photos but enjoy the video aspect as well.
C70 is the first cinema camera for a lot of owners of mirrorless and DSLR owners partly because of the familiar design.
FX3 makes sense in that regard but that type of Sony user probably already has an A7S III.
I have also come across several people with both A7S III and C70.
I am not so sure this will put an end to that trend.
Interesting times indeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Ehh. After seeing the A1, I don't think Canon has to worry.
Yea, depends on the market. Sony probably has the best hybrids on the market and has fewer spec compromises, Canon is stronger in the dedicated photo or video specifically.

Its interesting to say the least. The model Sony seems to implement is that the hardware will segment the cameras, while Canon the Software and ergonomics.

My R5 and R6 are Perfect for photo. Do they replace a C70, no.

An A1 or A7siii or Fx3 could potentially with an xlr adapter and ND. No telling how close the A7iv could get to being both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Looks like an extra thick M6 Mark II :p. Good on Sony to create an new form factor to their cinema line. Curious to see how much this will cost, and if the extra thick body will help with heat buildup.
The price will be in the same ballpark as the A7SIII (or Panasonic S1H) and it is also suggested that it has the same sensor and video features as well, no IBIS but it has active cooling so a slightly different take on that technology like the FX6.

Upvote 0
The price will be in the same ballpark as the A7SIII (or Panasonic S1H) and it is also suggested that it has the same sensor and video features as well, no IBIS but it has active cooling so a slightly different take on that technology like the FX6.

It appears from the buttons and joystick that it will use the cinema system OS which is dramatically different than the A7 series bodies and I assume will have the same two primary operating modes (custom and Cine EI). Not entirely as consumer friendly as say the A7 series. That being said, the cinema system OS is still primarily designed with more of a joystick/button operation because on most full size FS/FX/etc... bodies, your right hand is on the grip which has its own duplicate controls. They did make the power switch a zoom rocker, so it will be nice with either digital clear zoom or the new $7000 16-35 PZ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is there even much of a market in "pocket" cinema cameras to go after? Even Blackmagic started making the much larger, much more capable Ursa, rather than relying just their first little camera. While Sony has lead the way and helped create the market for mirrorless, this seems like a step backward into the past, with a cinema form factor that was never all that popular.

Upvote 0