Industry News: Sony FX3 leaks ahead of an official announcement

Feb 14, 2014
Is there even much of a market in "pocket" cinema cameras to go after? Even Blackmagic started making the much larger, much more capable Ursa, rather than relying just their first little camera. While Sony has lead the way and helped create the market for mirrorless, this seems like a step backward into the past, with a cinema form factor that was never all that popular.
Sure there is. Firstly you have dedicated videographers who don’t have the budget for cine cameras and other high end industry equipment. They likely want to have smaller, more affordable video cameras (owning more than one for multi cam and or as a backup) for their small video business. Secondly there are those professionals using cine cameras that may want to own a camera like this to use as a b-cam that could easily fit on a rig or a drone. It’s sometimes about using whatever will get the job done and having smaller cameras can be vital if recording in smaller spaces.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
I really think this will be aimed to be used with Airpeak (Sony cinema UAV) and compliment FX6, FX9, and Venice productions.
Yeah, kinda like how a komodo is designed to be used as a crash cam. But the reality is majority of buyers will never use a komodo as a crash cam nor the fx3 as a drone cam. capable of doign decently to well in most scenarios i'm sure.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Sure there is. Firstly you have dedicated videographers who don’t have the budget for cine cameras and other high end industry equipment. They likely want to have smaller, more affordable video cameras (owning more than one for multi cam and or as a backup) for their small video business. Secondly there are those professionals using cine cameras that may want to own a camera like this to use as a b-cam that could easily fit on a rig or a drone. It’s sometimes about using whatever will get the job done and having smaller cameras can be vital if recording in smaller spaces.
The S7S3 was supposedly that camera. Supply and demand isnt as strong as you are imagining. Camera sales are the lowest in over a decade and not magically turning itself around. They are basically treading water at best. High price niche devices. $599 cameras can be mounted on UAVs/drones. No need whatsoever for a $4000 camera for that application with lighter payload alternatves galore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
C70 is the first cinema camera for a lot of owners of mirrorless and DSLR owners partly because of the familiar design.
FX3 makes sense in that regard but that type of Sony user probably already has an A7S III.
I have also come across several people with both A7S III and C70.
I am not so sure this will put an end to that trend.
Interesting times indeed.
What makes you believe that the C70 is the first cinema camera for a lot of DSLR owners? The availability is in limited quantities. Where are you getting your facts from? You are purely speculating. The C70 is Not even Canons first Cinema camera in that form factor. And it's predecessor the Cine XC10 most likely has sold millions more units in comparison to DSLR owners before the camera market tanked. Maybe you should research Canons Cine line before making such a claim. The C70 has sold relatively only a few units in comparison. its not like cameras are stacked to the ceiling in warehouses.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
I really think this will be aimed to be used with Airpeak (Sony cinema UAV) and compliment FX6, FX9, and Venice productions.

Good point. I did not connect with Airpeak but you are right this could well be one of the targets.

For those who have not seen the below Airpeak movie shot in Austria:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
As would I, but I doubt that will ever happen. With the rumored C50, I'm sure a PL or RF mount option will be the choices for that upcoming cinema camera.
No, they only offer interchangeable mounts in their bigger cameras, C200 and upwards.

For these small cameras with the newer RF-mount, you can simply install an adapter like this one:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yea, depends on the market. Sony probably has the best hybrids on the market and has fewer spec compromises, Canon is stronger in the dedicated photo or video specifically.

Its interesting to say the least. The model Sony seems to implement is that the hardware will segment the cameras, while Canon the Software and ergonomics.

My R5 and R6 are Perfect for photo. Do they replace a C70, no.

An A1 or A7siii or Fx3 could potentially with an xlr adapter and ND. No telling how close the A7iv could get to being both.
I had no idea Canon offered a dedicated photo camera.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Interested to see the official specs and image quality at the end.
Looks like a competitor to a Canon C70 at a 20-25% lower price.
I expect Canon to react on it...

Let's see how Canon is going to respond.
This. I like the pressure. I would really like to have 10 bit internal and honestly in a non-log profile in the c50/c90. Also 120 FPS with sound and some kind of xlr adapter option in the R5/R1 / R1C.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I am not sure RED Komodo competes with this one as much as it competes with C70 and FX6 but there is not enough info yet to know for sure.
Sure it does. If the FX3 competes with the C70 it competes with the RED Komodo. The Komodo and the C70 are the same exact segment, and some have purchased both devices. There are countless Komodo vs C70 comparisons. The FX3 would be a choice between the 3. Not just the C70. Althoug some would love not having to compete with RED.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
a
Its a Cinema camera. Not a mere "Video" camera. Totally different segment and user market. One can use any video camera on a UAV. That's why it wears the FX and Cinema label. Sony has a video line and Cinema line. It will be priced below the FX6. The same as its competitors. Canon will introduce its EOS C50.

Last edited:
Upvote 0