Industry News: Sony FX3 leaks ahead of an official announcement

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
While I have absolutely no experience operating a dedicated video camera, I find it interesting that this device has both a record button and a traditional shutter button. I wonder if this is targeted to do some more hybrid work, but instead of adding video capability to a photo camera it's adding photo capability to a video camera?
Canon has been producing that form factor for a very long time such as the XC10 and XC15. Google search them, and you'll see the similarities and the dslr style shutter button. Its in ther camcorder tier. Of course most of the lower tiered camcorders are not selling and will eventually be phased out. Not many consumers purchase a dedicated camcorder per se. Sports being one of the exception. A few coaches use their smartphones. But most don want to use their personal smartphone all the time for recording athletes. Its a lot of work removing unless one dumps immediately to a cloud folder. It still ties up ur phone for a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
The S7S3 was supposedly that camera. Supply and demand isnt as strong as you are imagining. Camera sales are the lowest in over a decade and not magically turning itself around. They are basically treading water at best. High price niche devices. $599 cameras can be mounted on UAVs/drones. No need whatsoever for a $4000 camera for that application with lighter payload alternatves galore.
Of course anyone can use a $599 camera but i’m talking about getting professional quality video, not a camera for an amateur YouTuber. This is for dedicated videographers looking to get paid work. The specs that have just been leaked suggest it has 4K 120fps and a cooling system for unlimited 4K recording. That is a big deal - think event videographers needing to film for a couple of hours without any overheating issues. Bear in mind, people are buying the R5 and A7SIII and using them for video and the price of the FX3 is not that different but is for people not interested in a stills camera. As I previously said professionals will also use this as a b-cam, to use on rigs and drones.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
This. I like the pressure. I would really like to have 10 bit internal and honestly in a non-log profile in the c50/c90. Also 120 FPS with sound and some kind of xlr adapter option in the R5/R1 / R1C.

Hello Rocksthaman,
Interesting to read your needs for the next camera which are mostly covered by the C70 !

When C70 came out, I felt it would be too expensive for me.
Meanwhile, I read the user manual. I recommend to read such manual before buying.
It is very enlighting what the camera can or cannot. And less biased than Youtubers shows.

I have looked at all possible c70-footage on internet and waow they are looking really good.

BTW, C70 offers in 10 bits several other options than c-log.

In France, there is a very nice second hand market and I found some good options of C200 MkII below 4000 Euros VAT included.
Reading the user manual and the very bizarre codecs offered: either Raw light or 4:2:0 8 bits (like my XA30) and nothing in between convinced me to not look further.

The coming months are going to be exciting for videographers.
Each brand is or will be offering a camera body with pro features are this level of price.

In French the say for a such a moment is " it is urgent to wait".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Hello Rocksthaman,
Interesting to read your needs for the next camera which are mostly covered by the C70 !

When C70 came out, I felt it would be too expensive for me.
Meanwhile, I read the user manual. I recommend to read such manual before buying.
It is very enlighting what the camera can or cannot. And less biased than Youtubers shows.

I have looked at all possible c70-footage on internet and waow they are looking really good.

BTW, C70 offers in 10 bits several other options than c-log.

In France, there is a very nice second hand market and I found some good options of C200 MkII below 4000 Euros VAT included.
Reading the user manual and the very bizarre codecs offered: either Raw light or 4:2:0 8 bits (like my XA30) and nothing in between convinced me to not look further.

The coming months are going to be exciting for videographers.
Each brand is or will be offering a camera body with pro features are this level of price.

In French the say for a such a moment is " it is urgent to wait".
Oh I love the C70. It’s a great machine and it pretty competitive price wise too. and add auto WB lock to the list too.

I almost bought one, but I really can’t see myself with another body given I have and R6 and R5. I am much more focused on photography. The limitations to the R5/R6 I mentioned are generally software based and most other manufacturers are putting the full log suite and unlimited recording with xlr adapters as well. Again love canon but I really don’t want to pay or carry around another camera when the much cheaper cameras (gh5, S5, any newer than 2019 Sony) offer the same options. I know I know, just go buy a Sony then.

But it’s Crazy the attachment you form with a camera....I loooooove my R5 with battery grip. I’ll stick with my EF glass for now, probably test a newer Sony soon.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
I read many of the pages about Canon C70 on Reduser.
They most compare it with Red Komodo obviously. Most of the writers are professionals so not all comments need to be read.

However, there are plenty of videos made with C70 showing the quality of image produced by this body.

for those interested, enjoy the reading.

Upvote 0