CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'll leave this here for for some fun reading: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...ographers-and-photojournalists/#disqus_thread

It is fun to see the goal post go back and forth between brands and what actually matters in a camera.
It’s like a parallel universe. Replace Sony with Canon and it would like a thread from here. There seems to be confusion on what a Fanboy is. They are either a defender of Sony no matter what or someone who criticizes Sony. You can be called a fanboy for either.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Same EVF, same sensor, same LCD resolution that's not fully touch screen LCD, no 4K60 and incremental upgrades for $4500.

Sony definitely slowing down and behind the competitors in some area. After A7RIV and A9II, I'll temper my expectation regarding A7SIII as well.
None of those things would have made it a better sports camera which is exactly what it's designed to be. I have no intention of buying one but I appreciate that Sony, like Canon/Nikon, is maturing as a brand and is beginning to show some appreciation for the needs of pro photographers. Competition is always good for consumers and I'm looking forward to some really outstanding photos from the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I have never seen anything like it in the Sony Forums. They were just about all expecting a new 36Mpx sensor plus new features and now feel totally let down. Not a single post in favour on page after page. It seems just the same innards in a new body without even a boost to the evf. And the price of the old A9 is presumed not to be likely to drop (Sony has the habit of not discontinuing older models but selling hem at a discount to the latest).
Haha, jeah, I am surprised as well :D
And their blabla-forum-bullshit just sounds like none of them could ever buy a camera like that :D

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I have never seen anything like it in the Sony Forums. They were just about all expecting a new 36Mpx sensor plus new features and now feel totally let down. Not a single post in favour on page after page. It seems just the same innards in a new body without even a boost to the evf. And the price of the old A9 is presumed not to be likely to drop (Sony has the habit of not discontinuing older models but selling hem at a discount to the latest).

Good, perhaps they can troll themselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Interesting that Sony can still only achieve 10fps with a mechanical shutter even with no mirror, Nikon and Canon have bested that with a mirror and full AF tracking functionality for years.

For sure the MILC camera form factor holds some interesting advantages for some users, which I have complimented them on before on many occasions, but it does illustrate how rock solid the high end DSLR’s are for what they are designed to do. If I slow my 1DX MkII’s down to 10fps and prioritize AF accuracy it feels like it is working in slow motion and the AF keeper rate is extremely high.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Apparently Sony said they couldn't create the processing power at this time to deliver more megapixels. That's fine. 24mp is honestly fine more most sports shooting unless you're really looking for extreme crops. This isn't a very big improvement, but the mechanical shutter moving to 10fps is a very big change. If you're a strobe shooter, you no longer have to swap back and forth to use your strobes and severely handicap your camera when you're not using them or switch back to E-shutter...but then you might still run into LED light problems and have to switch back. In all honesty, this is the change that needed to happen at the launch of the A9, not with the A9II.

Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
Good, perhaps they can troll themselves.

Not likely.

They can’t help themselves. It’s compulsive. I follow a lot of disparate forums, local photography, senior portraits, Canon specific tips, tricks, gear talk, etc.

Anyone that posts a pic they are particularly proud of and tags it as “EOS R/RP” or even “Taken with my Nikon Z6/Z7” will set off a chorus of squawking that sounds like those seagulls from Finding Dory. “Can you return it? You have to buy a Sony. What a mistake. Why did you do that. Your picture sucks because it wasn’t taken with a Sony” etc etc etc ad nauseum.

The single most obnoxious user culture I’ve ever seen. With the possible exception of Harley Davidson.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Interesting that Sony can still only achieve 10fps with a mechanical shutter even with no mirror, Nikon and Canon have bested that with a mirror and full AF tracking functionality for years.

For sure the MILC camera form factor holds some interesting advantages for some users, which I have complimented them on before on many occasions, but it does illustrate how rock solid the high end DSLR’s are for what they are designed to do. If I slow my 1DX MkII’s down to 10fps and prioritize AF accuracy it feels like it is working in slow motion and the AF keeper rate is extremely high.
True. I was even more surprised to discover the the original A9 could only do 5 FPS with a mechanical shutter. Now I'm curious to see just how good the electronic/rolling shutter really is. That stacked chip is supposed to read out pretty fast but there still has to be some artifacts when shooting moving subjects or with electronic flashs.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well it is difficult to quantify and depends on how you phrase it really.
If at 10fps I get 9 sharp keepers is that better or worse than 14 FPS with 12 keepers? The percentage of keepers is higher but the actual choice of sharp frames is fewer.
To me running the 1DX MKII at 10fps seems pedestrian, like riding a race horse reined in at a canter.
What I do like about the frame rate/.speed of the thing regardless of where it is set is the minimal viewfinder blackout.
Do you mean that if you set your 1dx2 max FPS rate to 10 instead of 14, the AF seems to be better?

Upvote 0
I'd be delighted to use 240fps full res (however many dots they nowadays have) EVF for anything, especially sports. ;)
That does sound nice but if pushing around all those pixels increases the time lag in the viewfinder it's going to be harder to track moving subjects. I think that viewfinder is spec'd for minimal lag. For other kinds of subjects I love a viewfinder like you're describing.

Upvote 0
It’s like a parallel universe. Replace Sony with Canon and it would like a thread from here. There seems to be confusion on what a Fanboy is. They are either a defender of Sony no matter what or someone who criticizes Sony. You can be called a fanboy for either.
It's funny how some comments from that thread resemble typical arguments from this forum:

Erik M Durnall
The YouTube sales people and fanboy world are completely disconnected from the reality of the professional world. People think that making a YouTube video or writing a post on a fanboy rumor site about their erotic camera fantasies means that some executive at a massive global corporation is going to see it and think "oh boy we better make that". It's so pathetic. People are entitled to their fantasies but crying and throwing a tantrum is beneath juvenile.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0