Industry News: Sony officially announces the Sony FX6 and Sony FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release // San Diego November 17, 2020 – Sony Electronics Inc. today officially announced the FX6 (model ILME-FX6V) camera, the latest addition to Sony’s Cinema Line, a series of products that brings the company’s expertise in imaging technology to a broad range of filmmakers and content creators.
Sony’s Cinema Line, which also includes the VENICE and FX9 cameras, delivers a coveted film look cultivated from extensive experience in digital cinema production, as well as enhanced operability thanks to an innovative body design, extensive durability, and intuitive customizability.
Sony FX6 Product Highlights:

4K 10.2 megapixel full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R™ sensor
Compact and lightweight body design for on-the-go shooting
Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO expandable up to 409,600 for very low light conditions
15+ stops of dynamic range
S-Cinetone TM look profile, also used in FX9 and inspired by VENICE colorimetry
BIONZ XR ™ image processing engine, first used...

Continue reading...

They missed with having the audio in the handle. What’s the use of it being small if there is no Audio ports when you strip it down ?
Absolutely agree, also no audio in 100/120p and less codec options than a7S III. Weird decisions, it's almost like camera companies don't want to make the choice easier for us :D

Let's hope at least FX6 makes Canon work on enabling external RAW for C70

Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
They missed with having the audio in the handle. What’s the use of it being small if there is no Audio ports when you strip it down ?
Yes, that's odd... you'd have hoped they'd have some way of recording scratch audio without the handle. With the FS5 Mk1 and Mk2 - which this clearly replaces - at least there was one XLR on the body itself, though with my FS5 many times I'd wished for a simple inbuilt mic just for scratch sound, rather than having to attach an XLR cable and mic somehow.
No matter: waiting to see what the C90 has to offer before replacing my FS5 with one of these!

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Canon is gonna have hard times to keep up with video cameras.
I wonder if canon’s realized that the video market is increasing and a lot of people want small and powerful cameras. The A7Siii and FX6 give them all they need without crippling much. The color science is on pair if not better, the AF is maybe better. These were the things why people used to prefer Canon cinema cameras. Is it over now?
On top of that, variable ND and better digital IS. I’m a canon fan but I’d have hard time choosing canon for video now.
Oh yeah, that Sony menu systems...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I wonder if canon’s realized that the video market is increasing and a lot of people want small and powerful cameras.

Yeah that is why Canon released the C70

The A7Siii and FX6 give them all they need without crippling much. The color science is on pair if not better, the AF is maybe better. These were the things why people used to prefer Canon cinema cameras. Is it over now?

See C70

On top of that, variable ND and better digital IS. I’m a canon fan but I’d have hard time choosing canon for video now.

See Canon C70

Not sure why it would be a hard choice, if you have EF or RF glass it is simple. You go with the C70.

If you have E-mount glass you get the A7Siii, with the exception of the electronic ND there is not much of a need for the FX6 over the A7Siii

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Same as for FS5. Why would you want to record audio when you're overcranking? How would you use it? Genuine question...

Two main things: sync and speed ramping! Also you might want to end up using some portions of the clips in real time (=

Soooooo... better than the C70? Does anybody have a use for 16 bit raw?
For some things – definitely! But if you want RF lenses – than there's still NO camera to use them for video work )=

16bit linear raw is recorded to 12bit log raw – they are visually indistinguishable.

variable ND and better digital IS

Those are good advantages, but the one I'm missing the most is full frame sensors to use those RF lenses as they were intended to be used.

Yeah that is why Canon released the C70

C70 is a great Camera theoretically, but RF mount desperately needs a camera that can work for video AND take advantage of those full frame lenses.

Hopefully this means canon can now announce the C90 and finally the C50.

Exactly, give us that full frame RF video!!!

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I’m not liking the plasticky, flimsy build of the C70. Sony forged the FX6 from magnesium alloy... not cheap plastic. I have to believe at these prices magnesium alloy should be standard. So now I’m left in a interesting place... I preordered both cameras at launch... I have substantial RF, EF and E-Mount lens collections... I’ll evaluate both bodies when they come. But only one is staying. I initially thought I would just go with the C70, but since the word got out that the C70 is apparent built cheaply, I’m learning heavily towards the Sony. Honestly, I love Canon colors, but after having acquired the Sony A7S3, I have to say, Sony’s colors are greatly improved. So much so that imo, it’s wash. So it will come down to shooting experience.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I’m not liking the plasticky, flimsy build of the C70. Sony forged the FX6 from magnesium alloy... not cheap plastic. I have to believe at these prices magnesium alloy should be standard. So now I’m left in a interesting place... I preordered both cameras at launch... I have substantial RF, EF and E-Mount lens collections... I’ll evaluate both bodies when they come. But only one is staying. I initially thought I would just go with the C70, but since the word got out that the C70 is apparent built cheaply, I’m learning heavily towards the Sony. Honestly, I love Canon colors, but after having acquired the Sony A7S3, I have to say, Sony’s colors are greatly improved. So much so that imo, it’s wash. So it will come down to shooting experience.
Get the Sony they are the best built cameras ever

Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
I've read in several places now that there is an internal microphone on the camera body, so you can still record scratch audio even with the handle removed. Which is good.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I wonder if canon’s realized that the video market is increasing and a lot of people want small and powerful cameras. The A7Siii and FX6 give them all they need without crippling much. The color science is on pair if not better, the AF is maybe better. These were the things why people used to prefer Canon cinema cameras. Is it over now?
The FX6 damn sure isn't "small".

Upvote 0