Industry News: Sony officially announces the Sony FX6 and Sony FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The FX6 damn sure isn't "small". C70 has more dynamic range, DGO, Canon color science, and the ability to record on less expensive SD cards a huge advantage. Of course they are both small compared to their larger cinema families. If one has RF lenses, it's a no brainer for use as a B cam or crash cam to the popular C300 mk II/III which is Netflix approved. It would be easier to match and grade if one already has a C300 mk. And that adapter is a must have.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I’m not liking the plasticky, flimsy build of the C70. Sony forged the FX6 from magnesium alloy... not cheap plastic. I have to believe at these prices magnesium alloy should be standard. So now I’m left in a interesting place... I preordered both cameras at launch... I have substantial RF, EF and E-Mount lens collections... I’ll evaluate both bodies when they come. But only one is staying. I initially thought I would just go with the C70, but since the word got out that the C70 is apparent built cheaply, I’m learning heavily towards the Sony. Honestly, I love Canon colors, but after having acquired the Sony A7S3, I have to say, Sony’s colors are greatly improved. So much so that imo, it’s wash. So it will come down to shooting experience.
Get real, that's the coating/covering. Insulation. Safety and ergonomics. Nobody want to hold metal all day long. You have enough money, you can tear one apart and see all the magnesium alloy you want. Don't think anyone is stupid enough to do that. It's 2020 and you're talking about magnesium alloy as if it was invented yesterday. And no, It's not a wash at all if one is color grading. It's very easy to spot Sony colors when matching skin tones. Being that Canon's Cine cameras are Netflix approved, and with excellent CPS service one never has to worry about Canon build quality. One doesn't have to pass any criteria and jump through hoops to be a CPS member. Simply just an owner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Get the Sony they are the best built cameras ever
Then they should never have to be repaired as often as they do. Get an Alexa or RED rather than a Sony. Then you won't be concerned about what it's made out of. Anyone spending $10 -30k + on a Cine equipment and their primary concern is the manufacturing materials most likely isn't making any award winning product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Then they should never have to be repaired as often as they do. Get an Alexa or RED rather than a Sony. Then you won't be concerned about what it's made out of. Anyone spending $10 -30k + on a Cine equipment and their primary concern is the manufacturing materials most likely isn't making any award winning product.
I like not to have to baby my cameras. My 1DXMK2 was built like a tank. No need to treat it gently. I guess I’m strange to expect a study product?

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Get real, that's the coating/covering. Insulation. Safety and ergonomics. Nobody want to hold metal all day long. You have enough money, you can tear one apart and see all the magnesium alloy you want. Don't think anyone is stupid enough to do that. It's 2020 and you're talking about magnesium alloy as if it was invented yesterday. And no, It's not a wash at all if one is color grading. It's very easy to spot Sony colors when matching skin tones. Being that Canon's Cine cameras are Netflix approved, and with excellent CPS service one never has to worry about Canon build quality. One doesn't have to pass any criteria and jump through hoops to be a CPS member. Simply just an owner.
So the numerous reports of flimsy screens are somehow helped by the internal? No matter, I got word that mine is being prepared for shipment, so I’ll know soon enough if it measures up to what I expect for $6k. I won’t have the Sony until mid December so I’ll have a little wait before I can directly compare the two.
Your comments about magnesium make little sense to me. All the Canon premium bodies are magnesium alloy; EOS R, R5, 1DX series etc... My C200 was plastic exterior, but did not feel flimsy. I’ve not yet held the C70, but that will change shortly, as I’ve been notified that my unit is being prepared for shipment. Plastic exterior is one thing, but I expect it to be constructed of a high quality plastic. In any case, I’ll know soon enough.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
So the numerous reports of flimsy screens are somehow helped by the internal? No matter, I got word that mine is being prepared for shipment, so I’ll know soon enough if it measures up to what I expect for $6k. I won’t have the Sony until mid December so I’ll have a little wait before I can directly compare the two.
Your comments about magnesium make little sense to me. All the Canon premium bodies are magnesium alloy; EOS R, R5, 1DX series etc... My C200 was plastic exterior, but did not feel flimsy. I’ve not yet held the C70, but that will change shortly, as I’ve been notified that my unit is being prepared for shipment. Plastic exterior is one thing, but I expect it to be constructed of a high quality plastic. In any case, I’ll know soon enough.
However I have camera equipment manufactured long before Sony even got into the camera business and it still works. Canon, Pentax, Mamiya, non with "Magnesium". Even a vintage Kodak 35 with chrome and bakelite with plastic knobs, still functional. I have large format camera equipment too. Non with magnesium, still working. QA and workmanship. Not the raw materials.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
However I have camera equipment manufactured long before Sony even got into the camera business and it still works. Canon, Pentax, Mamiya, even Kodak 35 with chrome amd bakelite, non with "Magnesium". Still working. I bet your Sony headpbones, Ninja Foodi exterior, smart tv case, vacuum cleaner parts are not magnesium either. Heck, not many people even prefer metal luggage. Just being sarcastic. So lets not delve into metalurgy and plastics. Items with handles and grips even pistols have materials on the exterior that are better ergonomically than hard metal. All of my outdoor all weather outlets, enclosures, and conduit all non metal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
The FX6 is slightly smaller than the C70 but it is probably bigger to handhold with the control handle attached.
C70 seems like a better shape for handholding or using on a gimbal.

If you've never used one of the Sony cameras with the rotating side handle - EX1, FS5, FX6 - then you won't know how brilliant they are for hand-held work. You can easily hold and operate the camera with just your right hand: something which will come in handy with the FX6's touch menu. I suspect that the FX6 will be a lot better for handholding than the C70.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
However I have camera equipment manufactured long before Sony even got into the camera business and it still works. Canon, Pentax, Mamiya, non with "Magnesium". Even a vintage Kodak 35 with chrome and bakelite with plastic knobs, still functional. I have large format camera equipment too. Non with magnesium, still working. QA and workmanship. Not the raw materials.
Did you order the C70?

Upvote 0