Industry News: Sony teases a major alpha mirrorless announcement

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I'm looking for an honest answer here. I know part of the answer will be subjective, but I want to see if it's just me. I think the answer is Nikon, but I'm looking for new perspectives. Which camera produces better pictures straight out of the camera Sony or Nikon?
As a RAW image? None of them. They have to be edited. As a Jpeg? It is subjective. Reality is they all produce amazing images so make your decision based on other more important factors like ergonomics. Of course that is my personal opinion only.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As a RAW image? None of them. They have to be edited. As a Jpeg? It is subjective. Reality is they all produce amazing images so make your decision based on other more important factors like ergonomics. Of course that is my personal opinion only.
No longer interested in the Sony announcement.
Got wind that the announcement is for an RX camera. If that is the case, I'll pass. I hope it's wrong,

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Yes this came up when the 1DXIII that agency's were asked what they wanted and they wanted 20MP. I'd love to know roughly in the case of 1DXIII what % of total sales are agencies. It seems a very limiting limit. To me the 1DXIII processors are so fast it could have handled 30MP no problem. I'd have thought it would be better to have a camera that's 30MP but that you could have a format that sends files 20MP size without too much loss of detail. If you start with a 20MP sensor you are reducing your options immediately. I own a 1DXIII and after coming from a 5DSR and 5DIV you really notice this loss of MP. I've always thought 30MP would have been a better sweet point. The 1DXIII is a fine camera but it would have been a better birding camera if it had those 10 extra MP's.
It will be interesting what the Sony Camera brings. I think an R1 will be far more expensive.

I think many of those agencies or high level sports guys just aren't participating in the MP game. Because of their end use - a thumbnail or picture on an online article or a magazine sized spread. Even a two pager doesn't require more than 20MP. If they're doing an art gallery photo shoot and really plan to print big, its probably a controlled event and they'll use a different body. The 'limit' of 20mp seems to be a sentiment held by enthusiasts who make up the majority of these forums - we want one camera to do it all but don't have tons of money. That's why we're mad the R5 is so expensive! lol. But even then, the biggest print I have is 36x24 which looks great at 23mp from my 5DIII, and I have some 24x16s, at least one of which was taken with the 10mp 40d and is virtually indistinguishable from the ones next to it taken in later years with higher MP bodies. The 'limit' is sometimes actually psychological.

Brian

Upvote 0
If it's about skintones, Sony color science always loses. So many variables affect your question.

I think this perception is a bit outdated today or should at least be qualified to some extent. I agree that Sony's color science wasn't great up to the mk.2 bodies. The auto white balance also heavily leaned towards this yellow tint that I had to always fix in post. That really changed with the mk.3 bodies. That's more than 3 years ago. I probably would have left Sony by now if they hadn't addressed that.

Bad perceptions tend to stick around for a very long time. The R5 and R6 firmware releases have really improved its overheating performance, but the defacto claim by Sony fanboys is that they overheat and are useless for any form of video work. That's not true either..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Canon is the best! Isn't it? ;)

Edit, Jan. 27th:
This post is somehow modified and displays something else than I wrote.
If jokes are no longer allowed, if a word like "d_o_o_m_e_d" is censored and changed to "the best" I really wonder what is going on in this forum. :mad:
I really wonder what is going on here. See above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mod_1

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2018

Edit, Jan. 27th:
If jokes are no longer allowed, if a word like "d_o_o_m_e_d" is censored and changed to "the best" I really wonder what is going on in this forum. :mad:
I have gone through the history of your post and can find no alteration of it apart from your own edits. Maybe you had two versions of it and posted the wrong one. No one at this end has altered it.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I have gone through the history of your post and can find no alteration of it apart from your own edits. Maybe you had two versions of it and posted the wrong one. No one at this end has altered it.
Thanks for your fast answer, Mod_1!

The post wasn't altered, and when I try to edit it, i still see the original text "doomed" (d_o_o_m_e_d), but it seems that one of you stuff have made some fun out of it to make it display "doomed" (d_o_o_m_e_d) as "the best". It is always replaced, also here in this post.

I have checked it with different browsers (firefox, chrome, safari) and from different computers and it is always replaced by "the best". Somehow not funny. :unsure:

Upvote 0

Mod_1

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2018
Thanks for your fast answer, Mod_1!

The post wasn't altered, and when I try to edit it, i still see the original text "the best" (d_o_o_m_e_d), but it seems that one of you stuff have made some fun out of it to make it display "the best" (d_o_o_m_e_d) as "the best". It is always replaced, also here in this post.

I have checked it with different browsers (firefox, chrome, safari) and from different computers and it is always replaced by "the best". Somehow not funny. :unsure:
I'll follow it up to find out what has happened. Actually, it is rather funny as it is so tedious to see "Canon is d-o-o-m-e-d"

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I'll follow it up to find out what has happened.
Thanks!
Actually, it is rather funny as it is so tedious to see "Canon is d-o-o-m-e-d"
I understand! But I must admid that IMO there are more tedious things around than to repeat that running gag, and I always used it that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Edit, Jan. 27th:
In most forum software, there is a table that allows the administrator to substitute words. It can be used for censoring spam web sites or stores or words.

This one is pretty funny if that is what happened. I'd give it 5 stars.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
In most forum software, there is a table that allows the administrator to substitute words. It can be used for censoring spam web sites or stores or words.

This one is pretty funny if that is what happened. I'd give it 5 stars.
I know about such functions but didn‘t expect it for that :unsure:

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
the whole "canon is ................" is played out. It's time to move on. I applied the censor and will remove it one day once people have forgotten about it. As you can see, it takes over threads.

Trying to get creative by circumventing it will be frowned upon.

Thanks for your understanding,
Craig

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
the whole "canon is ................" is played out. It's time to move on. I applied the censor and will remove it one day once people have forgotten about it. As you can see, it takes over threads.

Trying to get creative by circumventing it will be frowned upon.

Thanks for your understanding,
Craig
Is there a link to a page with the black listed terms and what they are replaced with? Or a plan to at least also change the font style / coloring of altered content?

I feel like having unmarked censorship undermines the integrity of the forum. I like to be able to discriminate between people actually writing odd stuff and it just being put into their mouths easily.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Is there a link to a page with the black listed terms and what they are replaced with? Or a plan to at least also change the font style / coloring of altered content?

I feel like having unmarked censorship undermines the integrity of the forum. I like to be able to discriminate between people actually writing odd stuff and it just being put into their mouths easily.
It's hardly undermining the integrity of the forum mangling a repetitive, meaningless cliche, which had become irritating to some. At least it shows Craig has a sense of humour.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's hardly undermining the integrity of the forum mangling a repetitive, meaningless cliche, which had become irritating to some. At least it shows Craig has a sense of humour.
If I can't tell if the phrases 'the best' or 'the greatest' are used sincerely or they were meant to mean essentially the opposite and just got twisted, it diminishes my enjoyment of this site.

I'm not against parting with the d word for the near future. I would just appreciate some transparency.

How many other words on this forum do not say what they mean anymore? Nothing bad can come from providing insight into that.

I'm all for moderation and private service providers making their own rules. But there comes a responsibility with such administrative power to inform of alterations and reasoning for censorship in my opinion.

Upvote 0