Industry News: The Sony A7 IV will be announced on October 21, 2021

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Sony will be announcing a new Sony A7 IV on October 21, 2021. This camera has been highly anticipated by many.
SonyAddict reports that a teaser for the Sony A7 IV leaked, along with tags that likely tell us all of the main specifications for the upcoming camera.
Sony A7 IV Specifications (Rumored)

Eye AF, Animal Eye AF, AF, Eye AF movies
Field camera, pro camera
Silent shutter
FTP
4K60p
Eye AF birds
10fps
33MP
BIONZ XR
10-bit 4:2:2 HLG
All-I XAVC S-I
S-Cinetone
S-log3
S&Q dial
Vari-angle LCD
Gimbal
5GHz Wi-Fi
USB 10Gbps live streaming
Creative Look
15+ stops dynamic range

Continue reading...

Depending on the price this sounds like it'll be a great seller for Sony. There are indeed a lot of specs I'd love to see on an R successor (no, not the EOS R mk II discussion again) such as
- 10 fps
- all the AF modes
- 33 MP (which would be a modest bump for the current R)

But since I'm all in on the R system, we will just have to wait and see if and how Canon will counter/ match this camera. I sure do hope Canon will attempt to do so.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Interesting that there is no “teaser” image showing us what the camera will look like.
Also notable that the tags include the word *gimbal*, and several alternative names for the camera.

So I’ll add 2 and 2 together and make 6….

Could this be a modular box-style camera, designed specifically to be used in a rig? :unsure:

Not that I care...

Upvote 0
Interesting that there is no “teaser” image showing us what the camera will look like.
Also notable that the tags include the word *gimbal*, and several alternative names for the camera.

So I’ll add 2 and 2 together and make 6….

Could this be a modular box-style camera, designed specifically to be used in a rig? :unsure:

Not that I care..

it'll look like any other Sony 4th gen body i.e. A7SIII, A7R4 A9II, A1 etc... with flippy screen like A7Siii and uses the same battery grip etc.

Upvote 0
No idea what a Gimbal means in this context, but if this has IBIS and is priced to replace the 7III, it will be a beautiful workhorse. Judging by how well the 7III did, and how long it held the top spot for a great all-around'er, and all the refreshes that Sony lenses are getting, switching to Sony kit right now might be a good idea. Especially if Canon EF lenses are well supported with adapter, which it seems they are.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
No idea what a Gimbal means in this context...
Yes, *gimbal* is a weird keyword to include, and is clearly designed to get people thinking.

I can’t see any way that a MILC could have an integral gimbal, and just about any camera can be mounted on an aftermarket gimbal.

My best guess would be that the body shape has been redesigned to work best when mounted in a rig, but Sony are notorious for their reluctance to abandon the standard a7 and a9 body format.

Only a couple of days to go and all will become clear.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Depending on the price this sounds like it'll be a great seller for Sony. There are indeed a lot of specs I'd love to see on an R successor (no, not the EOS R mk II discussion again) such as
- 10 fps
- all the AF modes
- 33 MP (which would be a modest bump for the current R)

But since I'm all in on the R system, we will just have to wait and see if and how Canon will counter/ match this camera. I sure do hope Canon will attempt to do so.
33 MP, good AF, 10 FPS, and the ability to use the lenses (Sony and third party) available for FE mount, is a great start in terms of what I would like in a camera. I will be interested to learn more about it, eg about the EVF, battery life, ergonomics/controls, and price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I don’t think that Canon ever tried to match any of the Sony’s cameras.
Thank goodness!

After all these years, Sony still hasn't fixed their dust on sensor issues, their shutters are failing so much so that their is a class action lawsuit against them in NY, and their ergonomics are still awful. I know color is subjective, but Sony still has the least appealing to me compared to both Canon and Nikon. They do make excellent sensors though, and they do have good AF for action. But Canon has pretty much matched them on the two things Sony does well.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
R replacement. 33mp, 4k60p crop, without the bells and whistles of Clog, etc... $1999, done.
I’d like to see a R replacement, as I feel that Canon need a “sweet spot” model between the R5 and R6.

I agree that 33Mp would be a good figure, but I think higher priority should be given to a pro-grade 33MP APS-C model, which would be hugely appealing to wildlife, sports, reportage and event photographers looking for something more affordable than an R5.

I think we can take it for granted that going forward all FF and APS-C cameras will have 4K/60p and C-log.

As for price, whether it’s FF or APS-C, it will slot above the R6, so somewhere in the region of $2300 would seem about right.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0