Inexpensive standard walk around lens question

I find the 24mm f2.8 IS quite a good choice. Interesting for larger subjects...

What about inexpensive 50mm lenses like EF 50 f/1.4 or even EF 50 f/1.8. It has a "hammer" price and IQ is just not bad for that price. For street photography wouldn't it be a good value especially on a FF body?

Another would be EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, but overlaps with your EF 35.

Regards,

Upvote 0
Hardwire said:
I hate to say this, as I used to LOVE my old 24-105 as the IS was a great bonus...however since getting the 24-70 II....its made the camera almost a fixed lens as it hardly gets swapped out these days for much else.

I agree, the 24-70II is a lens killer. It most other lenses in the range redundant, and comes out shining every time- be it in the drenching conditions of Maid of the Mist or the dust of the Oregon dunes.

FEBS said:
My walk around is the 5D3 with the 24-105/f4 IS L on it. Nice combo and lens offers sufficient versatility.

Hi FEBS, unfortunately the 24-105L is also at least $ 550 and a bit too much to pay for a zoom with the same range (70-105 doesn't matter much as I can easily crop if need be).

tron said:
@sagittariansrock and @brad-man thanks for the info and link

@sagittariansrock: I would risk the 35 1.4L instead of putting more money for something you don't really need.
It is old, subject to upgrade and at the same time cheaper than the super 24-70 2.8 II.

Thanks for the logic. As you all have said the 35L makes most sense.
FYI, Henry's responded today saying US customers will be eligible for the CAD 2300 (approx USD 2100) price for the 7DII + 24-70, just won't get the gifts. So I guess I will have the opportunity to try the merits of the zoom after all, and at $ 300 it is a steal!

Khalai said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
For your need. I vote Canon 24-105 STM, assuming it has high picture quality. The STM engine is very fast in 18-135mm and see no reason to believe that will slow the new 24-105mm.
Stay away from 28-135mm because the image quality is mediocre, and mechanics is disappointing. :-[

Its MTF curves are quite similar to 24-105L. The question is microcontrast, colours, flare resistence and etc. But for the price, it should be a bargain lens :)

Thanks for the suggestion, Ajfotofilm! Unfortunately the 24-105 is also more than $ 500, and in my books the constant aperture L counterpart is still a better lens all around for a still photographer. And both are a bit too pricey for an occasional replacement. Both are great bargains as the main lens, tho'.

Steve said:
Fuji X-E2 + 35 1.4

Best walk around. DSLR's are for work, mirrorless is for fun with friends.

Someday I might be able to afford to keep the vaunted Fuji cameras as a parallel line. At this point Canon is getting all my money by dint of compatibility :)

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I've found that my wife's G1X MK II is pretty good for a walk around camera, it does not match my 5D MK III for IQ, but its still very good. The New G7 X is also going to have a lot of fans, I noticed on DPR that views have outnumbered 2-1 over the 7D MK II, so many people are looking at it. It has a nice zoom range and many want a small size. Having a 2nd camera is also nice.

I do have a 5Dc as a back up (getting more and more use nowadays for the street photography bit) and an M. But the G series suggestion is a good one, thanks!

Helios68 said:
I find the 24mm f2.8 IS quite a good choice. Interesting for larger subjects...

What about inexpensive 50mm lenses like EF 50 f/1.4 or even EF 50 f/1.8. It has a "hammer" price and IQ is just not bad for that price. For street photography wouldn't it be a good value especially on a FF body?

Another would be EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, but overlaps with your EF 35.

Regards,

Thanks, Helios. I used to own the 50/1.8 and briefly owned the 50/1.4 thrice. They are quite capable lenses, but I think I am looking for something wider if it has to sometimes replace the zoom.
I do have the 40mm, but as I said when I CAN carry the 24-70, the 40mm becomes quite useless on its own.

Upvote 0
sunnyVan said:
Is there any reason why you don't want to carry an expensive lens? Do you live in an area high risk for robbery? I am not mocking you but I don't understand the logic.

I bought the same lens for almost 2 grands. I use it as much as possible to get the money's worth.

If you are bothered by the weight, that's a different matter but you didn't complain about that.

You are spot on- it is the high risk of robbery especially for street photography. My 5Dc+40mm costs ~$ 500. Not cheap, but not something I will claim insurance for.
I am not particularly strong, but the 24-70 doesn't feel heavy. It is actually an extremely balanced lens. Nothing wrong with wanting to use it as much as possible. I rarely never find a reason to keep it home other than security.

Upvote 0
Steve said:
sagittariansrock said:
You are spot on- it is the high risk of robbery especially for street photography.

Is Houston especially sketchy or something? Maybe you should open carry an AR-15 around as well as the 24-70. :D

I would feel more at risk carrying a gun without combat training :D
Without it, I can lose my camera; with it, someone can lose his/her life.
To answer the question- I saw a girl being relieved of her mobile phone at the bus stop just as the bus was arriving (I was in the bus), and there were at least another 10 people at the bus stop.

So yes, there is a bit of opportunistic crime and I think it is best not to tempt someone for whom selling the camera might mean food for the next week (or drugs, either the way the motivation is strong).

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
I'd vote for the 35 f/2 IS. It's the lens I covet most (excluding crazily expensive ones). Supposedly excellent image quality, and although you're losing a stop of aperture, you're gaining ~4 in IS, which in lots of situations will help. But that's just me :)

I agree with the logic. I decided to go with the 35/1.4 and I am not sure if that was the right decision yet. It is a very nice lens, but I haven't used it to its potential yet. OTOH I have no IS-enabled lens in the standard range.
However, I have noticed that speeds less than 1/30 is pretty useless for anyone who is moving. So I haven't really *missed* IS yet.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
People that want to rob your camera are likely cannot tell if it is a 5Dc or 5DIII. All they know is a BIG ( read it as expensive) camera. May be you should stay away from the area that is not safe. Your EOS-M should serve you well. It is small and cheap.

+1 The EOS-M looks (and is priced like) an inexpensive P&S, so most thieves would probably not look at it twice. The M and 22/2 lens make a terrific general purpose option with very good to excellent IQ.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
People that want to rob your camera are likely cannot tell if it is a 5Dc or 5DIII. All they know is a BIG ( read it as expensive) camera. May be you should stay away from the area that is not safe. Your EOS-M should serve you well. It is small and cheap.
That's it. A thief does not know if his target is the old 5D, or the venerable 5D Mark iii. When the thief get close, he will not say:
:-["Sorry, I'm not going to steal because I saw that it is an old camera." :p

I understand that the tranquility is part of the pleasure of photographing, and be discreet about it helps a lot. Although the OP did not ask Suggested camera, I have to say what a great set would be:
Rebel SL1 + 24mm STM + 40mm STM.

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
Rocky said:

+1 The EOS-M looks (and is priced like) an inexpensive P&S, so most thieves would probably not look at it twice. The M and 22/2 lens make a terrific general purpose option with very good to excellent IQ.

ajfotofilmagem said:
That's it. A thief does not know if his target is the old 5D, or the venerable 5D Mark iii. When the thief get close, he will not say:
:-["Sorry, I'm not going to steal because I saw that it is an old camera." :p

I understand that the tranquility is part of the pleasure of photographing, and be discreet about it helps a lot. Although the OP did not ask Suggested camera, I have to say what a great set would be:
Rebel SL1 + 24mm STM + 40mm STM.

+2. That's exactly why I got the M. Also inconspicuousness makes for better poses.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
sunnyVan said:
Is there any reason why you don't want to carry an expensive lens? Do you live in an area high risk for robbery? I am not mocking you but I don't understand the logic.

I bought the same lens for almost 2 grands. I use it as much as possible to get the money's worth.

If you are bothered by the weight, that's a different matter but you didn't complain about that.

You are spot on- it is the high risk of robbery especially for street photography. My 5Dc+40mm costs ~$ 500. Not cheap, but not something I will claim insurance for.
I am not particularly strong, but the 24-70 doesn't feel heavy. It is actually an extremely balanced lens. Nothing wrong with wanting to use it as much as possible. I rarely never find a reason to keep it home other than security.

I bought the eos M because I want to hand over a cheap camera to strangers when I need to be in the picture. It proved to be a great idea after a recent vacation. People have no problem using it and were surprised by how fast the camera shoots. Yup, people who are used to p&s and phone camera have no idea the M can shoot so fast.

I think you should keep your 5d mk 3 and your standard lens in your bag. Then shoot with your M. When you see something you really like and you know you're safe, you use your 5d. That's what I'd do if I was in your situation.

I don't think getting a cheaper lens would solve any problem other than relieving GAS. As long as you have something big around your neck, it draws attention. If you use M, which you shady have anyway, you can keep it in your jacket or your pocket if you have baggy pants.

That's my honest opinion.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
I wish Canon would offer a 24-85mm F3.5-4.5. ::) But the new 24-105 STM must get below $ 500 as they appear in the white box.

yeah, the 24-85 is still lighter and more portable than anything that covers the standard range...also remarkably fast. I use it hiking with my 6D a lot even though I have "nicer" glass.

Upvote 0
sunnyVan said:
I bought the eos M because I want to hand over a cheap camera to strangers when I need to be in the picture. It proved to be a great idea after a recent vacation. People have no problem using it and were surprised by how fast the camera shoots. Yup, people who are used to p&s and phone camera have no idea the M can shoot so fast.
I think you should keep your 5d mk 3 and your standard lens in your bag. Then shoot with your M. When you see something you really like and you know you're safe, you use your 5d. That's what I'd do if I was in your situation.
I don't think getting a cheaper lens would solve any problem other than relieving GAS. As long as you have something big around your neck, it draws attention. If you use M, which you shady have anyway, you can keep it in your jacket or your pocket if you have baggy pants.

Indeed I also bought the M because bystanders feel comfortable using a camera with LCD for composition.
Your observation makes a ton of sense. Keep the 5D in the bag and use M if I feel unsafe. And indeed, I do not use a neck strap with the M.
I think that is great advice. Thanks!

Hjalmarg1 said:
The answer is simple, use a 35mm lens. You already have the 35mm 1.4, I carry with my 5D3 the 35mm f2IS, it's the best in image quality, weight and IS.

Indeed, sometimes simple answers are difficult to see until someone points them out :) thanks a lot!

Dantana said:
I would vote for insuring your gear and using some combination you already have.

I do have them insured, and once again, very sound advice.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the very sensible advice. This was probably a great example of an anti-G.A.S. thread where a simple and available solution was eluding me and everyone pitched in to open my eyes. Once again, I am very grateful to this great forum.

Now, I have to decide whether to cancel the 24-70 order or to resell it after test-driving the 7D...

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the 17-40, not bad for the price.

Another angle is a 40D and a 17-50; the Tamron non-VC one is pretty good and you could get both for under $500.

Jim

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim- but I might be buying the 16-35/4 after a year or so (when it shows up for Canon refurb or the prices come down maybe and after I am certain there won't be a 11-24 or whatever).
40D plus 17-50 will also be a more expensive option and I really don't need 3 dSLRs given my usage. For those with high usage it does make sense to have an APS-C dSLR option.

Upvote 0