Inexpensive standard walk around lens question

Often I don't want to carry the expensive 24-70II with me and pick an inexpensive lens. The use is generally street photography, or a gathering of friends, or a short trip.

For the past few months it had been the 40mm which was perfectly fine if somewhat limited. It only replicates one FL of the amazingly versatile zoom but doesn't offer any additional advantage.

So I made a shortlist of some choices that are within the 24-70 range, below $ 500 and have some unique advantage in addition to being a mere cheaper stand-in. None of them seem an obvious choice though (primarily due to the 35/1.4 being there, so if y'all can weigh in on one or the other or add other choices, I shall be much obliged.

1. 24mm f/2.8 IS (only as fast as the 24-70, but has IS- I don't own any other IS lens below 70mm, wider so overlaps less with my 35/1.4)
2. 28mm f/1.8 (cheaper and faster, but I am not sure of the IQ- if it is usable at f/1.8 and sharp at f/2.8 that should be good tho', FL too close to 35/1.4)
3. 28mm f/2.8 IS (same IS advantage, cheaper than the 24 IS, overlaps with my 35/1.4)
4. 35mm f/2 IS (arguably a very good lens, has IS, but overlaps too much with my 35/1.4)
5. 35mm f/2 (used)- (cheaper but again overlaps with the 35/1.4)
6. 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (old and not such great image quality, but cheap and has IS and is a zoom)
7. 24-105mm f/4L IS (slight advantage of range, but a bit too costly at >$ 600)
8. 24-70mm f/4L IS (included here as I have pre-ordered it with the 7DII and it might end up costing just $ 300, but completely overlaps with my 24-70II)
9. 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (slow and I am not a big fan of STM- don't do video and prefer the speed of USM)

Thanks so much!

My walk around set up is a 6D with Sigma 35/1.4. It's kinda heavy, but 35mm makes an excellent "generic" focal length, imho, and the large aperture allows me to shoot handeld in very low light, or to creatively use the shallow DoF.
The 40/2.8 would be a great choice, but you say it doesn't offer any advantage other than weight and size over the zoom, but that's a lens costing 10 times the former. If you aren't satisfied with the small pancake, and want something cool to play with, i would try taking either a shorter focal length (24 or 28 IS), or biting the bullet and carry the heavier but fantastic 35/1.4. I wouldn't consider lens without USM or STM: i have a 50/1.8 II, and its AF motor is irritating.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Since you already have the 35/1.4L, why not carry that lens instead of 24-70/2.8L II?

(Personally, I'm in the middle of deciding as well. my 24-70/2.8L II is sometimes too big and heavy and I'm seriously considering 35/2 IS as a lightweight substitute. But since I already own 50/1.4, I'm unsure about that purchase. But if I had 35/1.4L, I'd go with that.)

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
I can only fit in one body and one lens for a trip to Easter Island and Macho Picchu and it will be the 24-105mm and a 6D. You can buy a used 24-105mm any day on Craigslist. It helps if you have a friend in a larger city it you are in a small town. The last one I bought for a friend cost $500 and it was in the original retail box with all the original accessory items.

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Khalai said:
Since you already have the 35/1.4L, why not carry that lens instead of 24-70/2.8L II?
+1...You've already got it. :)

-pw

tron said:
For me the 35mm 1.4 is one of the best choices for street photography.
For a trip or friends I would risk the 24-70 2.8 II.

Khalai, Paul and Tron- thanks for the advice. It is undoubtedly the most logical one. I am just worried that the 35/1.4 isn't exactly cheap either. But I guess I will rest easy thinking of Hill and Usher :)

Khalai, I feel the 35/2 IS will not interfere with the 50/1.4. The focal lengths are quite different. I am not a big fan of the 50/1.4, since it's not great wide open (and the 24-70II makes any f/2.8 and slower prime in the range redundant). I have heard great things about the 35/2 IS OTOH.

nc0b said:
I can only fit in one body and one lens for a trip to Easter Island and Macho Picchu and it will be the 24-105mm and a 6D. You can buy a used 24-105mm any day on Craigslist. It helps if you have a friend in a larger city it you are in a small town. The last one I bought for a friend cost $500 and it was in the original retail box with all the original accessory items.

tomscott said:
For versatility nothing beats the 24-105mm on FF and you will be able to find one for less than 600 you can pick them up in the UK for £450.
There is a thread here of a guy selling one on the forum.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=22888.msg444303;topicseen#new

I was thinking about the 24-105, especially since it has IS. But the price is a bit too high for a lens of pretty much overlapping FL. Even used ones don't go below $ 550 on FredMiranda and the asking price on local CL is $ 600- it seems people are holding on to them still as the 24-70/4 hasn't come down in price yet. But it will, and the resale value of the 24-105s will go crashing.

I have emailed Henry's to confirm if US residents can avail of the discounted price on the lens [I don't think they can get the gift, and frankly I don't care about that]. If so, I shall keep the preorder and see how the 24-70/4 IS turns out. For $ 300, it is a big bargain (7DII plus 24-70 is CAD 2300, comes to about USD 2100 incl. shipping; 7DII is USD 1800). If not, I think it's the 35/1.4 then.
Anyone with personal experience of using the 28/1.8 and 35/2 lenses? I have heard mixed opinions- most people think they are mediocre and there are a few who swear by them.

Upvote 0
gigabellone said:
My walk around set up is a 6D with Sigma 35/1.4. It's kinda heavy, but 35mm makes an excellent "generic" focal length, imho, and the large aperture allows me to shoot handeld in very low light, or to creatively use the shallow DoF.
The 40/2.8 would be a great choice, but you say it doesn't offer any advantage other than weight and size over the zoom, but that's a lens costing 10 times the former. If you aren't satisfied with the small pancake, and want something cool to play with, i would try taking either a shorter focal length (24 or 28 IS), or biting the bullet and carry the heavier but fantastic 35/1.4. I wouldn't consider lens without USM or STM: i have a 50/1.8 II, and its AF motor is irritating.

I have the 35/1.4, as Tron had pointed out, and it's actually lighter than the Sigma (which I owned briefly). Problem is, it also costs north of 1K.

Upvote 0
Is there any reason why you don't want to carry an expensive lens? Do you live in an area high risk for robbery? I am not mocking you but I don't understand the logic.

I bought the same lens for almost 2 grands. I use it as much as possible to get the money's worth.

If you are bothered by the weight, that's a different matter but you didn't complain about that.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
ajfotofilmagem said:
For your need. I vote Canon 24-105 STM, assuming it has high picture quality. The STM engine is very fast in 18-135mm and see no reason to believe that will slow the new 24-105mm.
Stay away from 28-135mm because the image quality is mediocre, and mechanics is disappointing. :-[

Its MTF curves are quite similar to 24-105L. The question is microcontrast, colours, flare resistence and etc. But for the price, it should be a bargain lens :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've found that my wife's G1X MK II is pretty good for a walk around camera, it does not match my 5D MK III for IQ, but its still very good. The New G7 X is also going to have a lot of fans, I noticed on DPR that views have outnumbered 2-1 over the 7D MK II, so many people are looking at it. It has a nice zoom range and many want a small size. Having a 2nd camera is also nice.

Upvote 0