28mm pancake areived

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
My 28mm pancake arrived today.

This is not a lens I wanted, but given Canon’s inability to make the basics and give us a few f2 primes and 50 1.4, maybe it will hold me over until they get their axt together.

I have only had a few hours with it but,
It seems pretty sharp and focus is ok.
Much like the 50 stm lens.
Adequate until better comes along.

I had the EF 28 2.8 is and sold it early on once the R5 arrived.
Big mistake. It was a much better lens and still small and light weight.

For 400 bucks locally, it is pretty sharp.
The 50 stm auto focus tanks in very low light, i am expecting this too also but shot a few frames in a cafe and a bar and it it covered the basics well enough.

Will try to add some pix once i get to sit down with the imac later.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-27-135600.jpeg
    IMG_2023-07-27-135600.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 14

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
When you say the ‘EF 28 f/2.8’ I presume you are referring to the 2012 IS model.
I’m surprised you think it a much better lens. Judging by all reviews the RF 28/2.8 is significantly sharper across the frame, yet still retains a good bokeh in the background. The EF 28/2.8 IS was very good in this respect too.
The RF 50/1.8 is very sharp across the frame. The only weakness I find in that lens it that the bokeh can get harsh and nervous.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
When you say the ‘EF 28 f/2.8’ I presume you are referring to the 2012 IS model.
I’m surprised you think it a much better lens. Judging by all reviews the RF 28/2.8 is significantly sharper across the frame, yet still retains a good bokeh in the background. The EF 28/2.8 IS was very good in this respect too.
The RF 50/1.8 is very sharp across the frame. The only weakness I find in that lens it that the bokeh can get harsh and nervous.
The EF IS version had its own pallet, a little different from other wide primes, I had the 35 f 2 EF, great lens, but not the same pallet.
I had a soft spot for that lens. So maybe my view is biased.
I wish i had NOT (edit) been so fast to sell those off when the R5 came.

The 50 stm has proven to be a great buy for buck, but in low light the focus abilities fade, that is its only weak spot in my view.

Just downloading the disks now........I am curious, but I will certainly keep the lens until a solid 1.8 or something comes along.
I do not want a massive 1.2 etc etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
I put a few quick pix up here:

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
I’ve been chomping the bit for canon to finally give us a pancake.
But I just can’t bring myself to stump up £350 on what they’ve offered us!! Despite its small size there’s really nothing remotely spectacular about the new 28.
Fortunately I still have the last EF primes they released namely 24IS, 28IS & 35IS. Great lenses but adding the EF-RF Control Ring makes them so much longer, hence I’m currently using my old EF 40 stm pancake.

I probably will eventually cave in and buy that new 28, but there’s absolutely no joy in doing so, in fact I actually resent canon for it. My RF 16 & 50 both seemed much better bang for the buck.

The R line is proving to be a very expensive system. In a age where phones dominate image capture it’s odd that camera manufacturers are pricing so high.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
I’ve been chomping the bit for canon to finally give us a pancake.
But I just can’t bring myself to stump up £350 on what they’ve offered us!! Despite its small size there’s really nothing remotely spectacular about the new 28.
Fortunately I still have the last EF primes they released namely 24IS, 28IS & 35IS. Great lenses but adding the EF-RF Control Ring makes them so much longer, hence I’m currently using my old EF 40 stm pancake.

I probably will eventually cave in and buy that new 28, but there’s absolutely no joy in doing so, in fact I actually resent canon for it. My RF 16 & 50 both seemed much better bang for the buck.

The R line is proving to be a very expensive system. In a age where phones dominate image capture it’s odd that camera manufacturers are pricing so high.
I agree about it being a necessary evil more than a desirable purchase.
What the hell is with no 50 1.4?

Nikon gets it with the G series 1.8 primes, and my shop says they sell well.
All the kids want the IG hastag #prime
Canon could be selling tons of glass.:LOL:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In case you didn't notice, compared to the EF 24/2.8 IS and 35/2 IS, the RF 24/1.8 and RF 35/1.8 are faster (the former by 1.33 stops) and both are semi-macro (0.5x magnification). It's those differences, especially the increased magnification, that account for the longer length and not merely the addition of a control ring.

From a business standpoint, it's not odd at all. If you expect to sell fewer units, you charge more per unit.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry, I don’t follow?
The ‘badge’ is automatically set based on how many forum posts you have made. A few posts and it is a Rebel model. More posts and it’s an M something. Then xxD. Then an R6, I think. Some mod with a sense of humor applied ‘I post too much on here’ for something like >10,000 posts.

Upvote 0
The ‘badge’ is automatically set based on how many forum posts you have made. A few posts and it is a Rebel model. More posts and it’s an M something. Then xxD. Then an R6, I think. Some mod with a sense of humor applied ‘I post too much on here’ for something like >10,000 posts.
Thanks for explaining

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
@Kiton why do you hate the adapters? EF 40mm with adapter stills very compact.
when I first got my R5 I had a 28-70 2.0 on one and a 70-200 2.8 on the the other with adapters, and really did not like the feel more than anything else.

Today I have an assignment with some politicians and will bring the 40 on the R6.2 and see how it feels, it seems to be alomst the same size as the 50 1.8.

Upvote 0