Pro-Canon Whining

Aug 10, 2021
A substantial number of people want a new 50 f/1.4, but they can't agree on price levels / specs. Probably never going to happen.
Everyone and their mother knows @roby17269 has unhealthy desires for a 35 f/1.2, but the rumor now is f/1.4 with is = unhappy Roby
Some people have posted about 50 and 180 macros. With 85, 35, 24 one half macros, the 50 seems unlikely. I guess 180 is likely sometime...
More than a few want mid-priced super tele primes.
Lately, I am interested in a fisheye.

wine.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
A substantial number of people want a new 50 f/1.4, but they can't agree on price levels / specs. Probably never going to happen.
Everyone and their mother knows @roby17269 has unhealthy desires for a 35 f/1.2, but the rumor now is f/1.4 with is = unhappy Roby
Some people have posted about 50 and 180 macros. With 85, 35, 24 one half macros, the 50 seems unlikely. I guess 180 is likely sometime...
More than a few want mid-priced super tele primes.
Lately, I am interested in a fisheye.

View attachment 213467
I will accept donations to my soon-to-be-opened gofundme page to pay for lens cravings rehab :devilish:

I promise endless entertaining whining in exchange :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I will accept donations to my soon-to-be-opened gofundme page to pay for lens cravings rehab :devilish:

I promise endless entertaining whining in exchange :ROFLMAO:
You can be like the Youtubers who try to produce incentives for Patrion pledges. "For a simple $35 pledge, I will send you a photograph from an ef 35mm f/1.4 with my personal tears used to create the watermark!"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Lol my theory on why a 50/1.4 will never come from Canon: competition has phenomenal 50/1.4's at very reasonable prices so Canon needs to compete image quality wise while being aggressive with their pricing but if that's the case for the mass majority there's probably no reason to go for the expensive 50/1.2 so Canon doesn't really win there.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lol my theory on why a 50/1.4 will never come from Canon: competition has phenomenal 50/1.4's at very reasonable prices so Canon needs to compete image quality wise while being aggressive with their pricing but if that's the case for the mass majority there's probably no reason to go for the expensive 50/1.2 so Canon doesn't really win there.
My theory is that Canon really doesn’t like @ahsanford.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I think your theory is probably true.
I don't see many people wanting something wider than 1.2

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The Sony 50 1.4 GM is 1700€ in Europe. Pretty far from reasonable imo. I remember the old Nikon and Canon DSLR 1.4s, these were a bit more in line with what I would be willing to pay: approx twice the price of the nifty fifty. Ok, new glass is better and all that, but still...
Oh gee that's quite a bit of dole.

But yea I was thinking third party options as well even though RF third party's technically not a thing (unless adapting of course). I feel like pricing vs performance would still be a challenge though for Canon to make sure it doesn't hurt the sale of the 50/1.2.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
The Sony 50 1.4 GM is 1700€ in Europe. Pretty far from reasonable imo. I remember the old Nikon and Canon DSLR 1.4s, these were a bit more in line with what I would be willing to pay: approx twice the price of the nifty fifty. Ok, new glass is better and all that, but still...
It's only $1298 in USA. Excluding Leica and Panasonic, The Sony is the most expensive 50 f/1.4 currently at B&H. Sigma and Rokinon / Samyang have autofocus for Emount with 4 of 5 star reviews for under $500.

Upvote 0
It's hard for me to imagine a f1.4 that is a full macro
Half macro is still possible.

And pray for focus limiter. TBH Canon should have software/in-body focus limiter to enhance user experience. The current complaints on slow AF(relatively) STM in those RF silver ring can be sorted with focus limiter. RF85 has it and from my limited experience it's comfortable to use when macro is off. It should be controllable from the lens buttons or in-body menu setting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I want that Sigma 14mm f/1.4 so bad lol, especially that focus lock switch's a brilliant idea.
Extremely bright UWA primes is somewhere Canon don't care since FD/EF. If they let Sigma go for it. I believe a lot of Astro-landscape guys will consider RF.

I feel confident that although the Canon version will be more expensive, it will also be superior.
Either a RF14 f2.8L that's smaller than recent RF10-20L. Or RF14 f2 at best. I doubt they can pull of 14mm f1.2L that's the same size as Sigma's f1.4

Upvote 0