Is Canon officially announcing two cameras in May?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I do not think R1 will have global shutter but it will be extremely fast so it will be close enough and it will not need a mechanical shutter (all these reported by CR)

A cheaper (than R1) R3II would be a welcome addition. Canon may feel more free to experiment with this model and they may make it with global shutter. But in this case I am afraid it will not be less expensive than R1.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Am I right in thinking Canon have discontinued battery grip for R5 & R6II ?
If so an R6III makes sense.
That´s what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. The discontinuation of the BG-E10 could mean the R6mkiii we´ll get sooner than later if they once again share the BG.

IF they share a BG again, I´d hope both cameras as well as the BG will have a smart controlle

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The idea of an R6 III is intriguing. ... Yes, there are compromises in the R8 compared to the R6II, but these are not important enough, even the lack of IBIS as all my main RF lenses have IS. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if the R8 actually takes away significant sales from the R6II as potential R6II buyers opt for the cheaper option especially when it is 'only' 24mp. ...
I went exactly the other way: IBIS, LP-E6NH battery life, better built, option of real battery grip, only slightly bigger. I went the R6m2 route.
So if you and I cannot support our ideas with significant sales numbers, both of us are just guessing.
By the way: Although tempting, the R8 didn't even make it for me as supplementary body.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Am I right in thinking Canon have discontinued battery grip for R5 & R6II ?
If so an R6III makes sense.
That´s what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. The discontinuation of the BG-E10 could mean the R6mkiii we´ll get sooner than later if they once again share the BG.

IF they share a BG again, I´d hope both cameras as well as the BG will have a smart controlle
Wasn't there an information/guess that the BG-E10 should be (backward) compatible to both R5 and R6m2?
If so, that argument would fail...

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Canon made a number of comments about the R5 between announcement and release. They weren’t leaks as far as I remember. Confirmation about the 8k raw video specs were the main updates… not Timelapse, with full AF etc
You are insulting Canon Rumors now, you know? :) They had major specs long time before the first teaser from Canon.
Canon dropped the first teaser as a "side-note" at a announcement of Cinema stuff. And then dropped a few more details a couple of times before full announcement. But major specs like 8K video (including. RAW video, though CR didn't really believe it themselves and removed it again from their early posts) was out (rumored/leaked) long before that. Unusual long time before actually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
But WiFi 5 only? Not really, don't you think?
I'm not using WIFI, so I don't care.
I just want a rugged camera with enough MP (24 or more), excellent ergonomics and Eye-Control AF.
I've never found a more hand-flattering camera than the R3. Therefore, if the R5 II doesn't have this type of AF, I'll order either an R3 or an R1.
The only issue, for me, is the way I carry cameras, two hanging from backpack straps via a Peak Design clip. ( one LeicaM and one EOS) with their respective lenses. A non-gripped body is advantageous. But I'll surely find a way around this little luxury issue...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An R6MKIII makes sense, it's a camera to be refreshed every two years.
At least if Canon wants to play in this Sony craziness, but they don't raise a single eyebrow for what Sony is causing on the market.
I hope they have some concerns! LOL
I have the R6MKII and it's an amazing camera, it still blows my mind with its video qualities.
I so often shoot for a friend with 3 Sony A7SIII and the R6MKII don't get behind comparing the video quality...what could an MKIII be?

OBS: I just want a better capability and connectivity to send the photos for live view on the computer and tablet, without paying a fortune for an iPadPro or CaptureOne.

Upvote 0
Maybe the R6III is a response to the cheaper and well-received Panasonic S5II? The S5II seems to have the upper hand in many video areas, including its vaunted IBIS with the new firmware EIS high mode, proxy video recording, 6k opengate, shutter angle, native dual iso, live lut, full size hdmi, vlog dynamic range, 4 channel audio, etc. (Canon does have a few video advantages, such as non-cropped 4k 60 with autofocus).

From a stills perspective, it’s hard to see where Canon can make improvements. Maybe more megapixels. Maybe handheld high-res mode that the S5II has.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
… that the R6ii suffers from and also bring back iso5000, instead of just having 3200 and 6400.
I suppose, you need to check your ISO menu of your R6m2.

I shoot quite often @ISO 4000 and 5000.
I haven‘t changed much there from factory settings.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It seems that a few people desperately want such a camera. That doesn't mean that Canon desperately needs to make one.

"The crop factor of an APS-C sensor makes smaller or more distant subjects larger in the frame, which in effect increases the effective focal length of any lens by 1.6x. This can be a major advantage in genres such as wildlife, action and sports photography. "

That's direct from Canon. The original 1Dd clear through the 1DIV were 1.3 crop sensors. Not full frame.

Upvote 0