Is Canon officially announcing two cameras in May?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
"The crop factor of an APS-C sensor makes smaller or more distant subjects larger in the frame, which in effect increases the effective focal length of any lens by 1.6x. This can be a major advantage in genres such as wildlife, action and sports photography. "

That's direct from Canon. The original 1Dd clear through the 1DIV were 1.3 crop sensors. Not full frame.
So, when I switch my R5 to APS-C mode all my lenses get longer? Do they also get longer if I crop to APS-C in post?

"which in effect increases the effective" - their command of language matches their maths.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
"The crop factor of an APS-C sensor makes smaller or more distant subjects larger in the frame, which in effect increases the effective focal length of any lens by 1.6x. This can be a major advantage in genres such as wildlife, action and sports photography. "

That's direct from Canon. The original 1Dd clear through the 1DIV were 1.3 crop sensors. Not full frame.
What startling information! Who knew? For an equally pithy response, allow me to inform you that the R7 already has an APS-C sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Personally, an R6III released alongside an R5II wouldn't be such a bad idea. With an update sensor and the R5II AF alongside things like a full size HDMI port would make it an absolute killer at that price point. Then the R5 can go whole hog on the huge megapickles or electronic shutter only or whatever else they envision it being.

Just please don't cripple it to protect the R3 and R1 or the cinema line.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
More than a few I believe.
How many more? Do you know? I don’t know. Not even a guess.

Here’s the thing – Canon probably has a pretty good idea of the demand for such a camera. Canon…who released the 7D, then waited 5 years to launch the 7DII, then 8 more years to launch the R7 (which seems more like a 90D successor). What does that suggest about how Canon perceives the demand for a high-performance APS-C camera?

Meanwhile, Canon has put top-shelf AF and blazing fast frame rates in low-end FF bodies, and released lenses like the RF 100-400, 600/11 and 800/11 to provide more real ‘reach’ to those FF bodies. In other words, what demand there is might be mostly satisfied by other offerings.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
It's interesting to see a prospective R6mkIII being a topic of discussion. I noted the deep discount yesterday, and was thinking to myself about how unusual it was, and wondering if that meant anything through the lens of the upcoming cycle of releases. For my part, the timing is good. I have been seriously considering upgrading my RP for a while now, and am about pulled together well enough to fund it. The R8 was my plan - and it still kind of is, as it's $300 off right now as well. But there is a part of my mind that really ponders the R6mkII, if not for any other reason than the IBIS would be nice since I'm not getting any steadier as I get older.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'm not using WIFI, so I don't care.
I just want a rugged camera with enough MP (24 or more), excellent ergonomics and Eye-Control AF.
I've never found a more hand-flattering camera than the R3. Therefore, if the R5 II doesn't have this type of AF, I'll order either an R3 or an R1.
The only issue, for me, is the way I carry cameras, two hanging from backpack straps via a Peak Design clip. ( one LeicaM and one EOS) with their respective lenses. A non-gripped body is advantageous. But I'll surely find a way around this little luxury issue...
I don't really think the grip adds that much weight, but everyone's feeling will be different on this.

Upvote 0
You are insulting Canon Rumors now, you know? :) They had major specs long time before the first teaser from Canon.
Canon dropped the first teaser as a "side-note" at a announcement of Cinema stuff. And then dropped a few more details a couple of times before full announcement. But major specs like 8K video (including. RAW video, though CR didn't really believe it themselves and removed it again from their early posts) was out (rumored/leaked) long before that. Unusual long time before actually.
What?!? Questioning the overlords of our beloved forum on what they have written and to justify and/or measure the effectiveness of the rumours? :cool:
Of course, CR were privy to information that they didn't or weren't allowed to share publicly so this is only from the external forum perspective.

Bored today so:

Ok... let's fact check another one in the OP
"As you all know, the EOS R6 was announced in July of 2020, shortly after the EOS R5 and was refreshed in November of 2022. Originally the EOS R5 and EOS R6 were to be announced on the same day, but things were a bit messy at that time globally."
=> The R5 and R6 were announced on the same day (9-July 2020) but were available in July/August respectively.
A blockbuster of an announcement with 2 bodies, 2 extenders, battery grip, 4 lenses and a printer! Let's hope that Canon does something similar soon as it has been really quiet lately.
https://www.usa.canon.com/newsroom/2020/20200709-camera

This is ~5 months after the development announcement on 13-Feb and of course during the beginning of the pandemic.

Canon was giving us direct information a year before development announcement:
9-Jan-2019 Canon confirms 8K capable EOS R camera in development

It is entirely likely that Canon deliberately dropped rumours of the new body prior to the development announcement on 13-Feb-2020 to keep the existing base waiting. They don't need to do that now as the migration path to RF lenses is clear with a raft of options (including unique ones), 10+ R bodies and mostly good accessories.

30-Sep-2019 Canon is gearing up for a big 2020 [CR2]
"We have been told that Canon has a major announcement planned on or around February 11, 2020, which would come ahead of CP+, which begins at the end of February... We expect both the high-megapixel EOS R body and EOS-1D X Mark III to be announced in the first half of 2020, along with a lot of new RF mount lenses."
14-Oct-2019 The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]
21-Oct-2019 “Pro” EOS R camera coming in March 2020? [CR0]
24-Oct-2019 Canon [Execs] again mentions a Pro EOS R body, with IBIS and dual card slots
4-Dec-2019 Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1] => 75mp with same joystick as 1DXiii
9-Dec-2019 Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]
5-Jan-2020 EOS R related announcements coming for CP+ [CR2]
11-Jan-2020 Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1] => 32mp
13-Jan-2020 Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]
20-Jan-2020 Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]
21-Jan-2029 Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]
28-Jan-2020 Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1] => gets very close to R5 specs
28-Jan-2020 Canon EOS R5 Specifications => gets is almost correct (removes "raw" from 8k)
29-Jan-2020 Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3] => first time mentioning the R6
30-Jan-2020 Canon financials includes their comment "Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features."
12-Feb-2020 Why aren’t there more Canon EOS R5 leaks? => "Update: I have heard from a few people since this post, and apparently Canon Rumors has caused some stress at a few Canon subsidiaries"
13-Feb-2020, Canon has development announcement of the R5 and 9 lenses in 2020 including the RF100-500 and extenders.
https://global.canon/en/news/2020/20200213.html

There were major leaks of R5 specifications before announcement date on 9-July-2020

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Unfortunately Nokishita is no more. Otherwise we would've heard from them already had the R1/R5II announcement been scheduled for May. The Ordinary Filmmaker guy seems to be recycling rumours from other rumour sites including Canonrumors; and Canonrumors now recycles news from the Filmmaker guy.

Realistically, apart from the rumours, there's no signs of upcoming announcements in May. Especially mid-May sounds implausible, because Canon would have announced there would be The Announcement. The R1 is big and Canon would've done it with a great fanfare.

The silence from Canon at this point doesn't leave us much hope for a big announcement in May.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Time for guessing game again.

Since the current rumour is 5 cameras.... I think it is

1. R1, Global shutter 30MP
2. R5ii, Stacked BSI 50MP(RIP a1)
3. R5iiC, clog4 or clog2 with internal ND
4. R6iii, boosted 45MP CMOS
5. R9, EVF-less R8. Can reuse the external EVF from M6ii.

And 35L/1.4, 24L/1.4, 50/1.4, 70-200L/2.8Z
R52c would be great but I do not think it will happen so soon. I hope that it does! But the body design does not lend towards internal ND. 60fps RAW without PD, full-size HDMI and other enhancements would be fantastic.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Regarding that camera we know are going to be announced. A summary of a few hints CR (I assume Craig) has posted on a social network that I refuse to link to:

• Sensor 45MP. Stacked. Big upgrade, new tricks.
  • Very fast flash sync..
  • Improved EVF performance.
  • More than 120 4K and more than 30 8K - with caveats.
  • Built-in GPS! :D(y):love:
  • There are some C70 goodies in there too.
    HDR implementation like the C70/C300III has been mentioned... which would point to CLog2 coming to the lineup.
  • "The end of Micro HDMI"
Generally Craig sounds very excited, and seems to think it is much more than the "usual evolutionary upgrade" of a camera. And hints he knows more that he cannot tell.

Also, announcement might be a week earlier than previously mentioned. "Apparently reading a calendar is not exact science" is how it was said (I don't remember seeing the "adjustment" mentioned here on canonrumors site) => May 15th?

But I wish he/CR would post those small hints here, Instead of on that unmentionably site.

updates - more updates

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nobody is considering a \"Fuji-like\" retro camera that has grown in popularity. Nikon and Leica have them, as well. It would be a resurrection of the A1 styling perhaps. Did not Canon do some polling recently as to whether there would be demand for that type camera to be introduced? It would make more sense for Canon to go after a slice of that market, instead of shoehorning another R-whatever.

Upvote 0