Is Canon officially announcing two cameras in May?

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
The R7C rumours stood out because it was reported that the original rumour was correct, but that Canon suddenly canceled it.
Contrast that to the R5S rumours :)
I wrote my post in a more general sense. It's now a long time since the first rumors about the new R1 and R5 II cameras appeared. Many contradictory rumors about sensor MPs, shutter (BSI, Global etc...), AF.
Yet, we are still waiting for real meat!
But I know it's a rumors site. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I think it's because of this:

it wasn't about the R1/R5II at all.

But it's interesting how a small post from CanonUSA on Xwitter with almost 0 information produced a huge speculative thread here.

So CR is straight deleting news when they are wrong. I am not aure I like that much, it is fine to be wrong about rumors.

Separately they also wrote on Twitter "the announcement date is May 15th", but won't write it on CR ? Also not sure I am a big fan of having to read multiple sites.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
I wrote my post in a more general sense. It's now a long time since the first rumors about the new R1 and R5 II cameras appeared. Many contradictory rumors about sensor MPs, shutter (BSI, Global etc...), AF.
Yet, we are still waiting for real meat!
But I know it's a rumors site. :)
Petapixel has a post (link) that, since there have been rumors about the R1 for so long, the R1 may never overcome it’s expectations.

Edit: Canon USA have removed the tweet that caused all the excitement this weekend. Maybe Canon USA followed CR’s example ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I do not think R1 will have global shutter but it will be extremely fast so it will be close enough and it will not need a mechanical shutter (all these reported by CR)

A cheaper (than R1) R3II would be a welcome addition. Canon may feel more free to experiment with this model and they may make it with global shutter. But in this case I am afraid it will not be less expensive than R1.
It seems the aR3 was the R1! Canon will never catch Sony‘s Sensor-Tech!! ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nikon didn't announce any sport camera when Canon announced R3.Z9 was announced after R3.
Canon released R3 because Tokyo Olympic 2020 delaied to 2021. They released 1DX mark iii in 2020.

I think R3 sensor should be 1DX mark iii because mark iii didn't upgrade so much and used the same mark ii sensor.
R3 can be R1 but Canon is not Sony.
Sony can released many models every year or create more lineup when no one buy.
Releaed A9 which is flagship but released A1 because R5 has 8K.
Releaed A9ii because A9 missed many functions for professional.

Many people are waiting the announcement in here but you can see Canon is not hurry or worry.
A9iii is a rush product and it shows not many people buy or use. Sony fans still chooss A1 or jump ship to Nikon Z8
No ranking can see A9iii. Only Sony online fans to say global shutter every day.
not able is NOT not in a hurry…! ;-)

Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 24, 2020
Wondering if people are gonna go out there and pre-order the R5II given all the dramas around the R5's shutter and overheating that really only came to light once the initial influencers and marketing passed? I still trust Canon to deliver a quality product but maybe I will hold off the first batch or two.
i really don't understand. i have never been disappointed with my r5. i am not saying it is perfect, but had i waited an extra day to get it, it would have been a day i shot with my 5d4 instead. so many more keepers.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I use EFCS on my 24 MP R8, because that provides 14-bit RAW files while electronic shutter drops it to 12-bits. Note that unlike the R5, the R8 can be set to shoot ES at low-continuous speed of 5 fps…and still delivers only 12-bit RAWs.

How does that align with your assumption?
My assumption is based on a coincidence of the 2 highest level Canon bodies where their engineers would have allowed it if it was possible. I can't imagine that they would have left performance specs on the table pending a R1 multiple years later.

For the R8, marketing choices or other engineering limitations could be a reason for the difference. Of course, lower level bodies have had some advananced specs of higher level bodies in the past.

In either case, we don't know for sure.
Reviewers seem to have the 14v12 bit specifications.
I think that there was one Canon website that listed it but can't find it now. It isn't specified in the R5 advanced user guide where you would expect it to be. Is it in the R8 user guide?

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
My assumption is that the 12-bit was picked to get a useable amount of rolling shutter, each bit you drop gets you a faster readout and the max fps is capped by the bandwidth bottleneck.

A stacked sensor, like the R3, would allow full bit-depth images with acceptable rolling shutter, while a newer digic would allow more bandwidth.
I hope this means we can get at least 20fps in e-shutter with full bit depth on the R5II, focus stacking is much less frustrating with fast fps :)
I can't find any data on the readout speed of the sensor for mechanical vs electronic shutter modes.
Mechanical appears to be 1/60s (~16ms) as measured by reviewers.

45mp x 14 bit x 12fps = ~7.5Gb/s mechanical shutter limitation
45mp x 12 bit x 20fps = ~10.8Gb/s off sensor bandwidth limitation

I agree that managing acceptable rolling shutter in electronic shutter mode is a clear performance spec but it is not clear to me if the limitation is the per readout line (lower bit depth per pixel) is the limitation or the max off-sensor bandwidth (processor bus speed) or both.

Allowing flash during electronic shutter (faster X-sync rate) would also be an advantage for the R5ii

Upvote 0
Wondering if people are gonna go out there and pre-order the R5II given all the dramas around the R5's shutter and overheating that really only came to light once the initial influencers and marketing passed? I still trust Canon to deliver a quality product but maybe I will hold off the first batch or two.
I will likely preorder.

I skipped the R5 as what I shoot did not happen at all during corona, and have been holding out for a R5 II since the gradual restart in 2023. After all, there were rumors of a R5 upgrade, tech for focusing (AI) is progressing rapidly, the R3 is great (too low MP for me but otherwise lovely camera to use), and we did get an R6 II in a quicker cycle (fantastic camera too), so it was not illogical to wait.

Now all R1 rumors seems to point out to a 30MP sensor, so I will likely go for a 45MP R5 II as definition is useful to me. I made the same choice upgrading from 1D X mkI to 5D4. I also trust Canon will put out a well rounded and well tested camera out. I had zero problem with my cameras including the famous 1D3 AF.

The one thing that would concern me is if Canon can't catch up to the stacked sensor technology properly, as I don't want to play the wrong horse as I am switching mounts, a decision that impacts for a long time. I actually choose Sony for work due to other innovations that are more useful to the work (more video oriented).
But for my most important, personal photo work, lens are more important to me, and the lack (yet) of a bright 200mm on the new mount generations, while great 85 1.2 are available, would make me ok to switch.

Anyway, I trust Canon will deliver a solid R5 upgrade, and it will be a great upgrade to my 5D4, as eye focusing on thin DOF is my bread and butter.

Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 24, 2020
I use EFCS on my 24 MP R8, because that provides 14-bit RAW files while electronic shutter drops it to 12-bits. Note that unlike the R5, the R8 can be set to shoot ES at low-continuous speed of 5 fps…and still delivers only 12-bit RAWs.

How does that align with your assumption?
perhaps they are sampling quickly to reduce rolling shutter, even with the slower frame rate. how is rolling shutter in ES mode on the R8?

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
My assumption is based on a coincidence of the 2 highest level Canon bodies where their engineers would have allowed it if it was possible. I can't imagine that they would have left performance specs on the table pending a R1 multiple years later.

For the R8, marketing choices or other engineering limitations could be a reason for the difference. Of course, lower level bodies have had some advananced specs of higher level bodies in the past.

In either case, we don't know for sure.
Reviewers seem to have the 14v12 bit specifications.
I think that there was one Canon website that listed it but can't find it now. It isn't specified in the R5 advanced user guide where you would expect it to be. Is it in the R8 user guide?
It's in the R5 specs listed on Canon Europe: "RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 13-bit A/D conversion with H+ mode, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition)." Same source lists for the R8, "RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit A/D conversion with Electronic 1st-Curtain, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition)." The R6II specs match the R8.

Upvote 0