Best & Worst Releases From Canon in 2015

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
I decided I’d weigh in on what I felt were Canon’s best and worst products of 2015. I didn’t find any of the DSLR releases to be all that interesting this year. While I like the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R, I just haven’t found a use personally for either of them. I felt 2015 was a development year for Canon as far as DSLRs and mirrorless cameras go and we should expect some big things in 2016,</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<h4><strong>Best Product Release by Canon in 2015</strong></h4>
<p><strong>Winner: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1143786-REG/canon_0570c002_ef_50mm_f_1_8_stm.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM</a>

</strong>Canon released a lot of great new L and DO lenses in 2015, but my pick for the best of 2015 is the brand new “nifty fifty”. Canon improved just about everything on the new version of this lens and did something amazing, they didn’t raise the price over the lens it replaced.</p>
<p>Improvements include 7 aperture blades instead of 5, a metal mount, STM AF motor, faster AF, improved build quality, so it might actually survive a fall. It stops down to f/22 instead f/16 on the lens it replaces.</p>
<p>Just because something is “entry level” doesn’t mean it can’t also be great and this is one great product release by Canon.</p>
<p><strong>Runner-Up: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180801-REG/canon_9523b002_35mm_f_1_4l_ii_usm.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II</a>

</strong>There were a lot of great lenses to choose from this year, the EF 11-24mm f/4L is one of a kind, the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II is a nearly perfect update the EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II proves Canon is still behind its diffractive optics development.</p>
<p>I have to give the runner-up award to the EF 35mm f/1.4L II though, while the other L and DO releases were great, this lens has a bigger mass appeal, which is why I chose it. Canon once again improved everything about the previous version of a lens model. Optical quality and build quality are again class leading and you cannot overlook having a native Canon lens for accurate autofocus when you need it most. Yes, the lens is expensive, but after the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/teardown-canon-ef-35mm-f1-4l-ii-by-lensrentals-com/" target="_blank">recent teardown we saw of the new lens</a>, it looks to be justified.</p>
<p>Canon continues to be the best and most advanced lens maker in the world and it’s likely the big reason they retain their marketshare in the DSLR space.</p>
<h4>Worst Product Release by Canon in 2015</h4>
<p><strong>Winner (Loser): <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1134581-REG/canon_0565c013_xc10.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon XC10</a>

</strong>I don’t think anyone has any idea what Canon was thinking with this oddball camera. Canon’s marketing claims it’s a product for everyone including still shooters, videographers & photojournalists.</p>
<p>What usually happens when you try to make something for everyone? You end up making something for no one. Which is exactly what Canon did.</p>
<p><strong>Runner-Up: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180765-REG/canon_9694b001_eos_m3_mirrorless_digital.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon EOS M3</a>

</strong>I don’t care if you’ve improved on the EOS M and the EOS M2, all you’re doing is updating a product that is flawed to something that is still flawed. The EOS M system is still way behind mirrorless leaders Sony, Fujifilm & Olympus, and that has to change soon. Canon is promising that it will, but we’ll take the wait and see approach.</p>
<p>Sound off in the forum with your own best and worst list.</p>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Isn't the nifty fifty just a better manufactured / better focusing / more bladed variant of an old optical formula? That's about as conservative an offering as I can think of. Canon: "Yay! We did it! Again! Because we succeeded before! Woohoo!"

I don't care that the 11-24L costs $3k. Nothing else can do what that lens does, and I'd certainly put it higher on the list than the nifty fifty.

(No White Unicorn? Was that Dec 2014 or Jan 2015? That should make the list if it's 2015.)

Also, no love for the 5DS rigs? I realize they are principally just high res 5D3 cameras, but that's still something people have been asking for.

100% agreement on the EOS-M3, and though I don't shoot video, I've read the XC10 is a hot mess on a number of fronts.

- A

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ahsanford said:
Isn't the nifty fifty just a better manufactured / better focusing / more bladed variant of an old optical formula? That's about as conservative an offering as I can think of. Canon: "Yay! We did it! Again! Because we succeeded before! Woohoo!"

I don't care that the 11-24L costs $3k. Nothing else can do what that lens does, and I'd certainly put it higher on the list than the nifty fifty.

(No White Unicorn? Was that Dec 2014 or Jan 2015? That should make the list if it's 2015.)

Also, no love for the 5DS rigs? I realize they are principally just high res 5D3 cameras, but that's still something people have been asking for.

100% agreement on the EOS-M3, and though I don't shoot video, I've read the XC10 is a hot mess on a number of fronts.

- A

If they had raised the price of the new 50 f/1.8 STM by $50 plus dollars, I wouldn't have put it on the list. It's that they improved most everything that was wrong with the previous version and didn't charge us more for it. It was a bargain before, now it's a steal.

The EF 11-24mm f/4L is a pretty awesome engineering feat, I just find 11mm to be pretty difficult to shoot with in most situations and it's very much a speciality lens.

As far as the 5DS cameras, they're fine, but all they did was put a new sensor in a 3 year old camera and charged accordingly. People may have asked for it, but no one is buying it.

As for the 100-400 II, I count that as 2015, but I liked the 35L II better. What I didn't like about the new 100-400 is that it's just as bad and maybe in some cases worse for internal dust than the 100-400 version 1. I owned double digit copies of the 100-400 II and most of them were problematic.

Upvote 0
5Ds gets it for me - has paid for itself several times already in terms of results and ease of production of those results (time saved is money)

Finally a camera worth updating my 1Ds3 for

Add it to the TS-E17 and the superb 11-24, and I've a combination that makes my work easier and notches up quality a few steps without the expense of MF.

I do believe it has some form of video, and ISO above 800, but I don't really care... YMMV

Obviously very different usage from CR I'm thinking ;-)

It never was an update for most 5D3 users - that's what the 5D4 will be.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
keithcooper said:
5Ds gets it for me - has paid for itself several times already in terms of results and ease of production of those results (time saved is money)

Finally a camera worth updating my 1Ds3 for

Add it to the TS-E17 and the superb 11-24, and I've a combination that makes my work easier and notches up quality a few steps without the expense of MF.

I do believe it has some form of video, and ISO above 800, but I don't really care... YMMV

Obviously very different usage from CR I'm thinking ;-)

It never was an update for most 5D3 users - that's what the 5D4 will be.

I can see the 5DS being a great camera in your line of work. What I tend to shoot, it really doesn't add anything other than disk space usage. :D

Upvote 0
I bought the EOS-M3 on sale at B&H for $429. For an extra $20 I got the EVF.
Although I share your disappointment that Canon hasn't gone all out yet to compete, I am pleasantly surprised with this camera for a few reasons:

The flip screen lets me monitor video while recording, and is really handy for all sorts of general shooting.
The 11-22mm EF-M lens ... with IS for awesome handheld work in an extremely light weight and inexpensive package.
The 22mm f/2 lens ... super light and cheap
I bought the Rokinon 8mm fisheye ... pretty cool super cheap and light.
Touch to focus works really well
The pop up flash is tiltable for bounce. This is remarkably easy to do and more effective than I expected.

This is a very lightweight portable, useable package. Sure it's not a Sony A7r II, but it costs about 1/5 th, and so I won't worry about it no matter where I take it. I like it. (I also have the original M which I never liked)

Of course, I reaalllly hope Canon does an EOS-M4 at top notch next.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
ahsanford said:

- A

If they had raised the price of the new 50 f/1.8 STM by $50 plus dollars, I wouldn't have put it on the list. It's that they improved most everything that was wrong with the previous version and didn't charge us more for it. It was a bargain before, now it's a steal.

The EF 11-24mm f/4L is a pretty awesome engineering feat, I just find 11mm to be pretty difficult to shoot with in most situations and it's very much a speciality lens.

As far as the 5DS cameras, they're fine, but all they did was put a new sensor in a 3 year old camera and charged accordingly. People may have asked for it, but no one is buying it.

As for the 100-400 II, I count that as 2015, but I liked the 35L II better. What I didn't like about the new 100-400 is that it's just as bad and maybe in some cases worse for internal dust than the 100-400 version 1. I owned double digit copies of the 100-400 II and most of them were problematic.

The 50STM is so good it's my main studio lens. The Art and the Milvus might be a notch or two better options for this purpose and I'll probably get one eventually, but the cost and the weight of the STM are just far far superior.

Upvote 0
For what I shoot - architecture and landscape - the 5Ds series is the biggest disappointment. I was hoping for more DR (waited and waited for the announcement b/c I needed a high res camera) so I ended up going with the Sony a7r and have been so happy with the files. The DR advantage for my work is very real. So much time saved in post.
Also for my work the 11-24 has been a real pleasure. There are those certain interior shots that need to be alittle wider than the 17mm and sometimes I don't have time for flat stitching. I always crop the edges anyway to avoid that super-wide tunnel effect.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
For lens either the 100-400II or 11-24. The nifty fifty does not count it for me. Price may be right but so what. A me too lens at a low price point.

For bodies I would include the 5DS. I know an older body but sensor is break through, well sort of. I realize it is only the 7D M2 sensor extended to FF but Canon was the first.

Upvote 0
I think the 100-400L ii is a better release than the 50 STM. The 50 STM isn't bad by any stretch, but I think the 100-400L is a more notable improvement over it's predecessor than the 50 STM. As for the 35L ii, it's nice to see Canon catch up to Sigma's primes, but I don't feel that a "catch up" lens is that special, certainty not over the 11-24.

Upvote 0
ecqns said:
For what I shoot - architecture and landscape - the 5Ds series is the biggest disappointment. I was hoping for more DR (waited and waited for the announcement b/c I needed a high res camera) so I ended up going with the Sony a7r and have been so happy with the files. The DR advantage for my work is very real. So much time saved in post.
Also for my work the 11-24 has been a real pleasure. There are those certain interior shots that need to be alittle wider than the 17mm and sometimes I don't have time for flat stitching. I always crop the edges anyway to avoid that super-wide tunnel effect.
Agree about the 11-24, but not really the 5Ds - I'm also a working architectural photographer and just don't see 'DR issues'.

Once again shows that photography needs differ - the only time pressure I'm under is from the British weather or from the Sun moving...

After rather a lot of quite specific testing (earning my living depends on it to some extent) I am minded to find rather too many 'DR Problems' are, shall we say, 'forum issues' not photographic ones - well not that I can see ;-)

Upvote 0
keithcooper said:
I am minded to find rather too many 'DR Problems' are, shall we say, 'forum issues' not photographic ones - well not that I can see ;-)

I respect your opinion and of course everyone has different needs/works differently but after using Canons for 15 years and the Sony for 1 - the exposure latitude is a real benefit - not an imagined forum issue. If I shot fashion or weddings or anything else other than arch I wouldn't care but being able to pull and push with much less bracketing or compositing makes a dramatic difference for me. The Sony shadows can be pushed 4 stops without any noise and tons more in the highlights too.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ecqns said:
keithcooper said:
I am minded to find rather too many 'DR Problems' are, shall we say, 'forum issues' not photographic ones - well not that I can see ;-)

I respect your opinion and of course everyone has different needs/works differently but after using Canons for 15 years and the Sony for 1 - the exposure latitude is a real benefit - not an imagined forum issue. If I shot fashion or weddings or anything else other than arch I wouldn't care but being able to pull and push with much less bracketing or compositing makes a dramatic difference for me. The Sony shadows can be pushed 4 stops without any noise and tons more in the highlights too.

Exposure latitude absolutely matters, but it's a 3rd tier consideration for me (if that). IMHO, it's nowhere near worth leaving the Canon fold to obtain, but my livelihood doesn't depend on it like some working pros on this forum.

Lenses/AF/ergonomics/menus/build quality are so much more important to me and will likely continue to be so.

- A

Upvote 0
The 100-400 was nice replacement. The combination of better overall image quality especially out at 400mm and the shorter minimum focus distance was a nice addition for shooting youth sports and wildlife. I actually like the M3 quite a bit. Especially at the recent discounting. Not only do I have a small backup body but using all the same glass (with adaptor) means that comparing to other compacts is moot. And the IQ is very, very good IMO.

The 5DS isn't my type of shooting but I appreciate the option if I did more of it. I'm really looking forward to the DX or 5DIII replacement next year.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
tianxiaozhang said:
The 50STM is so good it's my main studio lens. The Art and the Milvus might be a notch or two better options for this purpose and I'll probably get one eventually, but the cost and the weight of the STM are just far far superior.

That's a great idea! I've been using my 50 1.2 a lot in the studio, but the 1.8 would sure be a lot lighter. I bought a 1.8 a few months ago mostly as a travel lens for my T5i, but haven't used it much.

Thanks for the idea!

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
ahsanford said:
ecqns said:
keithcooper said:

Exposure latitude absolutely matters, but it's a 3rd tier consideration for me (if that). IMHO, it's nowhere near worth leaving the Canon fold to obtain, but my livelihood doesn't depend on it like some working pros on this forum.

Lenses/AF/ergonomics/menus/build quality are so much more important to me and will likely continue to be so.

- A

+1

Upvote 0
Larsskv said:
ahsanford said:
ecqns said:
keithcooper said:

- A

+1

That's why I said if I shot fashion, weddings, etc I wouldn't be that concerned about DR. I choose image quality over build, menus, ergonomics, etc. Different needs for different types of photography.

Upvote 0
Another vote for the 50 STM since it's the only 2015 release I bought this year! Finally a small, cheap and GOOD 50 from Canon! Yes please! I was genuinely excited about getting it! You can chuck it in your bag or pocket every time you go out to shoot. The perfect travel accompaniment. What was even more awesome was the price - I paid almost nothing for it as I used some free loyalty points my cellphone usage had racked up!

I also think the M3 was a let down. I love the original M and I've been waiting for a successor to upgrade to but nothing recent seems all that attractive. Might as well stick with what I have. Works just fine as a back up.

Not surprised the 35LII made the cut. A lot of folk had been waiting for it and it delivers in spades! I don't need it but I want it! A mark of a good product! Haha!

The 100-400II also got my attention and I could see myself buying it. I'd place it 3rd runner up.

Those 5Ds rigs are just too specialized for me. They're neat but just beyond what I would ever need.

The 11-24 looks awesome though and I would have maybe placed it as the winner. Sadly I will likely never own one but the recent (yesterday!) purchase of the 16-35 L IS more than makes up for it! ;)

Upvote 0
I think that the new 50 STM is the definitely the most important lens Canon released this year. I think that a good standard prime is very important first step in expanding the basic kit for a starting photographer. The 50f1.8 II was my second lens. It was not much better than the kit lens. It was to soft wide open. The minimum focus distance sucked. My Tamron 28-75f2.8 had better contrast and from f3.2-f4 it is just as sharp. It also focused better on my Rebel XS. I never used it. In fact I was beginning to think I hated 50mm lenses. Then I bought a Sony Nex 6 and the Sony E 50 f1.8. I also bought a bunch of classic 50mm lenses. I loved it mainly because of minimum focus distance and it was usable wide open.

The new 50 STM fixed everything. It is sharper wide open, has slightly shorter minimum focus distance. The extra iris blades make a big difference stopped down. It also works good enough on my A7II after the firmware update that I moved the Sony FE55f1.8 to maybe someday.

All that said do not underestimate the mass appeal of the 100-400 II. I will likely buy one next year. As much as I want a fast 35mm I am unlikely to buy the new Canon 35 f1.4. It is just to expensive it is not $900 more lens than the sigma to me. I am also more likely to use it on my Sony A7 than my Canon Cameras. I am more likely to buy the Sony FE 35mm f1.4. But I am sure there a plenty of wedding and event photographers out there that will gobble them up.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Canon Rumors said:

I just bought one for $85 direct from Canon (black Friday refurb). I had an older 50/1.8 II before. I always found it soft and unable to focus its way out of a paper bag. This one is sharp and has fast, silent, accurate focusing. Since it's the same optical formula, I now think the old one was just missing focus in almost every case, at least by a little bit.

No way this lens should perform as well as it does for $85!

Upvote 0