The Canon EOS R6 Mark II should be announced sometime this year

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
If it has that BSI stacked sensor from the R3, I am likely to buy it. I would like to see a full size HDMI and no limit on video (along with no heating issues)
Will it be $2499 or $2999?
BSI Stacked sensor for FF MILC camera would cost north of $4000(as previously noted cheapest BSI Stacked FF MILC is Sony A9 II at $4500).

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
BSI Stacked sensor for FF MILC camera would cost north of $4000(as previously noted cheapest BSI Stacked FF MILC is Sony A9 II at $4500).
Remember when Intel said it was impossible that AMD would be producing 7nm chip sets? I'm not saying it's going to happen for stacked sensor, if it was, I'd 100% buy it. As is, can't really trust canon right out the gate lately, so I'd have to wait to see on the 24 CMOS sensor that is rumored.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Remember when Intel said it was impossible that AMD would be producing 7nm chip sets?[..]
Keep in mind that Intel and TSMC measure and name their processes differently and that for modern processes (e.g. N7+) the number isn't the actual feature size in nanometers.
There are a lot of things wrong with what Intel tends to say, but no chip fab is upfront about the actual feature size on a given process.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm still quite impressed by my R5. As someone said earlier its a bit strange I am already hoping that Canon has made it obsolete with a better camera. This R6II I'm sure if a good camera but a fairly modest update on R6. The Sony A7RV seems to be a much more exciting announcement with a good improvement on subject tracking. I'd love to hear something that indicates future improvements in focus tracking in Canon. Canon just seem to be slightly refreshing its cheaper full frame mirrorless cameras. It would be nice to see something new that's interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
According to a youtuber... the R6 II DOES have a BSI Stacked sensor. (Either the Same as the R3's or a variant)

Canon R6 Mark II: Stacked BSI Confirmed?

If this is true, I will wait for the R6 II.

I'm looking to get into full frame and want a good hybrid for video. I'm not invested in any eco-system (My APS-c Camera is an old Nikon DSLR with 1 lens)

I was strongly looking at the A7IV but the rolling shutter in video and the 4k60p crop turns me off.
The current R6... The wide angle wobble (still not fully solved with the latest firmware) and the artificial record limit turn me off. If Canon fixed those 2 things I'd be strongly looking at the current R6.
I don't care about high megapixels... as a matter of fact 33 in the A7IV is pushing it for me. (I don't crop or print)

That said, if the R6 II has no record limit and no rolling shutter... I'm going to put my money in Canon's direction. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
Keep in mind that Intel and TSMC measure and name their processes differently and that for modern processes (e.g. N7+) the number isn't the actual feature size in nanometers.
There are a lot of things wrong with what Intel tends to say, but no chip fab is upfront about the actual feature size on a given process.
I agree that the names do not necessarily correlate to a given process. What my point there is, AMD was written off for years while Intel slowed all development. Canon seems to have done the same in a way. Sony has been arguably super competitive of the last few years, and canon is certainly catching back up. Simply stating it's not going to happen in a model under $4000 is true in the past, though we don't all know what the future will hold.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
According to a youtuber... the R6 II DOES have a BSI Stacked sensor. (Either the Same as the R3's or a variant)

Canon R6 Mark II: Stacked BSI Confirmed?

If this is true, I will wait for the R6 II.

I'm looking to get into full frame and want a good hybrid for video. I'm not invested in any eco-system (My APS-c Camera is an old Nikon DSLR with 1 lens)

I was strongly looking at the A7IV but the rolling shutter in video and the 4k60p crop turns me off.
The current R6... The wide angle wobble (still not fully solved with the latest firmware) and the artificial record limit turn me off. If Canon fixed those 2 things I'd be strongly looking at the current R6.
I don't care about high megapixels... as a matter of fact 33 in the A7IV is pushing it for me. (I don't crop or print)

That said, if the R6 II has no record limit and no rolling shutter... I'm going to put my money in Canon's direction. ;)
Well, if a Youtuber says it ... ;)

As others have said, I suspect that a stacked sensor would put it into a higher price bracket tan they're probably aiming for. We're not going to know about the rolling shutter improvement until detailed (independent) testing is done.

Upvote 0
Well, if a Youtuber says it ... ;)
I've been watching Simon's channel for a couple of years... he's pretty down to earth. So, if he says he has a reliable source, then the odds are that he is onto something.

That said... since an official announcment is supposed to be coming soon, we'll see if his source is correct, soon enough. :)

As for the price... he expects (guesses) the price to go up a couple of hundred and the current R6 to go down some.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
As for the price... he expects (guesses) the price to go up a couple of hundred and the current R6 to go down some.
I think a stacked sensor would result in quite a bit more than a couple of 100 extra to the initial price.

I've said elsewhere, I could (possibly) be in the target demographic for an R6 II (on the basic specs rumoured so far), but I personally wouldn't get much practical use out of a stacked sensor, so I'd rather they left it out, and aimed for a price closer to the current R6 - which would in theory be within my range.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The camera sale price has nothing to do with the sensor being stacked. Its called "Value marketing" Canon realeased a Power Shot G7 X camera in 2019 with a stacked CMOS sensor for $749. A stacked sensor may be manufactured cheaper with each layer manufactured separately by two different manufacturers. Less expensive than a BSI sensor with extra electronic components separately.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The camera sale price has nothing to do with the sensor being stacked. Its called "Value marketing" Canon realeased a Power Shot G7 X camera in 2019 with a stacked CMOS sensor for $749. A stacked sensor may be manufactured cheaper with each layer manufactured separately by two different manufacturers. Less expensive than a BSI sensor with extra electronic components separately.
That is a 20 Mpx 1”, 8.8mmx13.2mm, sensor. Did Canon make it or did they buy it in from Sony who had been using one for a couple of years?

Upvote 0