The Canon EOS R6 Mark II should be announced sometime this year

Pretty late announcement.
I don't know what's Canons endgame here. Are they trying to saturate the market with a 20MP, a 24MP, 45MP and next year a 30MP EOS R camera?
Meanwhile Sony brings a brand new 60MP flagship that costs exactly the same (actually one dollar less, probably a wink from Sony) than a 2 year old R5.
Next year is for sure gonna be interesting. IMO it would've made more sense updating the original EOS R with the new AF system and new sensors first, before updating the R6. Especially regarding Sony's 30-megapixler A7IV. But Canon for sure makes some weird decisions lately, like the M50 Mark II.
What point are you trying to make?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
People forget, when the R5 came out, it was a huge leap and the best offering. It wasn't until Sony came out of nowhere with the A7S III, packing it full of features. This is understandable as they were the underdog.

Add in disappointing releases and now the A7R V, that is literally a Canon R5 from two years ago

As someone who was torn between both systems, I am staying with Canon and all it would take is for the R6 MKII to be a C version of the R6, unlocking some video features along with the other leaked additions, and it's a wrap. If it has the R3 sensor and turns out to be a mini R3? It will simply be the best camera, beating out some more expensive Sonys, not including the ridiculous cost of express cards.

I don't know why, but I still feel people riding the Sony bandwagon. It's time to hop off and come back to reality and stop being overly harsh on everything Canon yet giving Sony a pass for mediocrity and/or putting fancy names on features Canon already had like better IBIS and auto focus.

I think in today's day and age it doesn't matter which system you are on. Both Canon and Sony have a great offering and are both pretty much neck in neck. I think a lot comes down to user preference and use case. They both have their pros and cons. (The a7siii still has better low light and shadows than the R5 for example)

However, I don't think the A7Rv is meant to compete with the R5. The A7Rv would compete with an R5s (like what the 5Ds was, high resolution). Don't forget the A7Rv has 35% more pixels than the R5.
The closest they have to compete with the R5 is the A1 (But it has a stacked sensor) when comparing megapixels and speed, but it comes with a hefty price tag which is why the R5 is so much more appealing. This is where I get excited because the R1 and A1ii will push both brands to dominate and will push newer and faster technologies into the smaller bodies.

If the R6ii has a stacked sensor, I think that will be the nail in the coffin to hurt Sony. Then they would have to start using stacked sensors to compete.
The Autofocus and the Stacked Sensor would also be a huge motivation to have dslr users upgrade to mirrorless. Canon makes money on sales.
Plus, the R6ii would be more expensive with a stacked sensor and would leave a gap at the lower price point for where the Rii would be able to come in.
Let's say:
To: Rii (R8?) $2200 R6ii $3000 R5ii $4000

This would be my guess.

Upvote 0
Wasn't interested at all. Seemed like the most pointless upgrade, <snip>
I mean, 100% of the market isn't the target market for this, either. If you're happy with your OG R6, that's great. I doubt Canon will exert much pressure on you, as I am sure that they don't see that as the only path into this camera. Using myself as a counterpoint example, I have an RP. I balked on the R6 for a variety of reasons, some spec-related, and some related to the amount of time that I have had the RP. Those have both swayed a bit, and this R6 Mark II has my full attention. I won't be able to jump on one right away, but I'll definitely be considering it once the initial rush is over.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I don't do video, so the R6 is plenty good for me.

As for the 135, 1.8 isn't all that much faster than 2.0. The EF version is excellent. It's sharp, light, and quick to focus. And adapted it still feels great, and the camera balance is barely affected at all.

The things that might get me to consider switching are a better minimum focus distance than 0.9m and/or IS performance.

Otherwise, this is one of those times where I'm not really looking to switch it out.

Contrast that with the EF 100 f2.8 macro, where it was clear that focus speed was an obvious area of improvement, and getting the RF 100macro was a no brainer, with the drastic improvement in that area, the 1.2x magnification as a nice bonus (plus a non-factor, SA adjustment gimmick to play around with.)

But nice for Canon filling out another core prime focal length.

The 35 has got to be next, but is another that I don't really see a point in me upgrading.

What I really want to see is the rumored 24mm auto-focus tilt-shift.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
With this news, I'm guessing the R6 has seen the end of feature additions via firmware. We'll probably see a few more minor updates though. Not that I'm complaining...Canon did a hell of a job with firmware updates (with the exception of 1.5.0).

I wonder if the Mark II will ditch the micro HDMI port...
I'm ok with that, it's pretty much perfect for my needs. I can't see buying another FF body ever again. It's so nice to not have G.A.S. Now....lenses.... that's very different.

Upvote 0

Shane

Shane
Nov 3, 2014
Chicago
I know I am probably in the minority but I hope they do not put the new hotshot like the R3 has. I have four EL-1 Canon flashes and shoot weddings primarily, a flash on each camera and two off camera for receptions. The last thing I want is to have to add a stupid spacer that will only add more stress on the hot shoe. I still do not understand why a $1000 flagship flash will not fit on the R3 without an adapter. If they do they better bring out a new flash, but I just invested $3600 in new flashes for my R5 and two R6 bodies and don't wanna have to buy more sigh.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't do video, so the R6 is plenty good for me.

As for the 135, 1.8 isn't all that much faster than 2.0. The EF version is excellent. It's sharp, light, and quick to focus. And adapted it still feels great, and the camera balance is barely affected at all.

The things that might get me to consider switching are a better minimum focus distance than 0.9m and/or IS performance.

Otherwise, this is one of those times where I'm not really looking to switch it out.

Contrast that with the EF 100 f2.8 macro, where it was clear that focus speed was an obvious area of improvement, and getting the RF 100macro was a no brainer, with the drastic improvement in that area, the 1.2x magnification as a nice bonus (plus a non-factor, SA adjustment gimmick to play around with.)

But nice for Canon filling out another core prime focal length.

The 35 has got to be next, but is another that I don't really see a point in me upgrading.

What I really want to see is the rumored 24mm auto-focus tilt-shift.
Chances are high the RF 1,8/135 will also offer wheather "proofing", unlike the EF version. I'm also sure Canon know ways to improve it optically.
But you're right, the EF 135 is an excellent and lightweight lens! But can't be used under rain...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Pretty late announcement.
I don't know what's Canons endgame here. Are they trying to saturate the market with a 20MP, a 24MP, 45MP and next year a 30MP EOS R camera?
Meanwhile Sony brings a brand new 60MP flagship that costs exactly the same (actually one dollar less, probably a wink from Sony) than a 2 year old R5.
Next year is for sure gonna be interesting. IMO it would've made more sense updating the original EOS R with the new AF system and new sensors first, before updating the R6. Especially regarding Sony's 30-megapixler A7IV. But Canon for sure makes some weird decisions lately, like the M50 Mark II.
I'd happily pay $500 more for an R5...

Upvote 0

GMAX

moments that matters
Jan 26, 2021
Chances are high the RF 1,8/135 will also offer wheather "proofing", unlike the EF version. I'm also sure Canon know ways to improve it optically.
But you're right, the EF 135 is an excellent and lightweight lens! But can't be used under rain...
The EF135 is stellar, even in these days. But sadly it is one of the lenses, that does not support the 12fps on the R6/R5. Time for a RF135…

Upvote 0
Wow, that’s interesting news. I figured with the cashback going on for the R6 at the moment, it would take at least until Q2/2023 for mkII to be released.

I’ll wait and see what the R6mkii and the R8 (if it comes) bring to the table. Better AF, faster FPS and maybe IBIS are my main focus coming from the R, since I shoot more and more sports than I used to.

If the mkII has the stacked sensor from the R3 I might preorder asap. If not, I might be tempted getting the R6 for a lower price point.
What’s the cash back on R6?

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Oh yeah that. We get fire in California, not rain. That's not something that crosses my mind.

I can see that being important for other people though.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I know I am probably in the minority but I hope they do not put the new hotshot like the R3 has. I have four EL-1 Canon flashes and shoot weddings primarily, a flash on each camera and two off camera for receptions. The last thing I want is to have to add a stupid spacer that will only add more stress on the hot shoe. I still do not understand why a $1000 flagship flash will not fit on the R3 without an adapter. If they do they better bring out a new flash, but I just invested $3600 in new flashes for my R5 and two R6 bodies and don't wanna have to buy more sigh.
Is it always raining at the weddings you shoot? The only function of the AD-E1 adapter is to provide a weather-sealed connection between a sealed flash and the multifunction shoe. If you don’t need sealing, just mount the flash directly in the new multifunction shoe and shoot. That’s what I do with my four 600EX-RT flashes and my R3 (one at a time, of course).

Upvote 0
With this news, I'm guessing the R6 has seen the end of feature additions via firmware. We'll probably see a few more minor updates though. Not that I'm complaining...Canon did a hell of a job with firmware updates (with the exception of 1.5.0).

I wonder if the Mark II will ditch the micro HDMI port...
I was about to post the same. My R6 still feels like a new camera to me, so I am pretty bummed it is about to join the legacy pile.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
I was about to post the same. My R6 still feels like a new camera to me, so I am pretty bummed it is about to join the legacy pile.
Or you could just use it and be glad Canon has a fantastic history of product support. I cannot fathom there being an end of support announcement for quite some time.

Upvote 0
It's kind of funny because right now there is some crazy sales on RF lenses in Canada.
$300 off the 50 f1.2, $450 off the 100 f2.8, $400 off the 70-200 f4. Just to name a few.
I wonder if they are trying to clear out stock before the prices increase? Weird to see these discounts.
I just did my insurance premium review and virtually all my Canon gear had gone up 10-15% replacement cost in Australia. I think that the rebates etc are offsetting this increase and give some marketing space to effectively get back to where it was (when they feel like it).

Local Canon entities are able to set their own pricing. Still happy that we are getting a local 5 year Canon warranty for piece of mind although I haven't had any issues so far.

Upvote 0
if there's a hint of overheating in R6ii, then avoid like the plague. Canon will have learned nothing.
"hint"?? Even the 1DXiii's Advanced User Guide is full of temperature warnings even if it exceeds the stated specifications in practice. All equipment has defined operating temperatures and the 1DXiii is 0-45C. Clearly it operates outside of this range especially <0C. Deserts and direct sunlight can exceed 45C.

View attachment 206055

View attachment 206052

View attachment 206053

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0