The Canon EOS R6 Mark II should be announced sometime this year

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Well, it’s been rumored to be 40% lighter and 30% shorter than the EF version…so maybe worth a try? :D

Well, if it is similar to the 300 f/4.... one can hope :unsure:
To quote you, I won't deffo be preordering it - also I still want the 35 1.2 :cry:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I had the EF 135/2 and ended up selling it. I found the 70-200/2.8 II more useful for portraits and indoor events. I have the RF 70-200/2.8 now. I’ll wait and see how the RF 135/1.8 performs, definitely won’t be preordering. An RF 300/2.8 would be a different story.
How is the RF 70-200 f/2.8 close to MFD? I got rid of the EF II version because it disappointed me in that regard (perhaps it was a bad copy).

Upvote 0
The 135 has been on my wish list for a loooong time! Not as long as the 35 1.2 but still...
Shut up and take my money Canon! :ROFLMAO:
I'll order one on day one
Ditto on both counts. I’m especially interested in that 35 1.2
I had the EF 135/2 and ended up selling it. I found the 70-200/2.8 II more useful for portraits and indoor events. I have the RF 70-200/2.8 now. I’ll wait and see how the RF 135/1.8 performs, definitely won’t be preordering. An RF 300/2.8 would be a different story.
the original rumor was for a 135 1.4 which I was more interested in since I gave the sigma 1.8 and it works well with the adapter. I would love an ultra fast 135. But if it has in lens stabilization and a faster focus motor I’m still tempted. It would be smaller too without the adapter.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How is the RF 70-200 f/2.8 close to MFD? I got rid of the EF II version because it disappointed me in that regard (perhaps it was a bad copy).
I find that the RF version delivers excellent close-up IQ. It's interesting that Canon highlighted the RF version's close focusing, "The floating focus lens element shortens focusing distance and helps reduce breathing...". The MFD is a lot shorter than the EF 70-200 II, 70cm vs 120cm. However, the max magnification is only slightly better (0.23x vs 0.21x) meaning the RF version has quite a bit of focus breathing.

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
I wouldn’t want to spread fake news, but I just saw an article (https://www.dpreview.com/news/45924...ng-on-65-imaging-products-starting-november-4) that tells of price increases in Japan on November 4. No mention of the R6. Coincidence?
It's kind of funny because right now there is some crazy sales on RF lenses in Canada.
$300 off the 50 f1.2, $450 off the 100 f2.8, $400 off the 70-200 f4. Just to name a few.
I wonder if they are trying to clear out stock before the prices increase? Weird to see these discounts.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Let's hope that the R6 mk II use the same stacked sensor and same AF performance of the R3 and making the mechanical shooter something completely optional. This would be a good upgrade.

Anyways, I though that this new R6 mkII would come after the R1 is announced (this one will bring quad pixel, probably). The actual R6 is already a great tool for photographers.
If it does come with stacked sensor it wont be anywhere cheap, currently cheapest camera you can get with stacked sensor is OM systems OM-1 a micro 43 camera for $2200. what I hope for is a BSI sensor while keeping same price, but would like to see CFexpress Type B slot making an appearance as all competition(Except Sony) in this price range have CFexpress B and SD slots. Apart from that improvement to battery life would be welcome change as well.

Edit: Cheapest FF MILC with stacked sensor is the A9 II for $4500 and its already couple of years old at this point. Whats strange is R5 which was announced at same time as R6 isn't considered 1st for replacement.

Upvote 0
I find that the RF version delivers excellent close-up IQ. It's interesting that Canon highlighted the RF version's close focusing, "The floating focus lens element shortens focusing distance and helps reduce breathing...". The MFD is a lot shorter than the EF 70-200 II, 70cm vs 120cm. However, the max magnification is only slightly better (0.23x vs 0.21x) meaning the RF version has quite a bit of focus breathing.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
People are funny talking about overheating. The camera is obviously not going to have that issue as they already addressed it in the R5/6.

People forget, when the R5 came out, it was a huge leap and the best offering. It wasn't until Sony came out of nowhere with the A7S III, packing it full of features. This is understandable as they were the underdog.

Now that they're not the underdog anymore, the pricing is relatively the same as Canon with even, what I would argue, even more milking of their customers. Don't forget, there is no competition for their express cards so they charge top dollar. $2500 for a pair when an even faster pair for Canon, the same size, is $400 - $600. Add in disappointing releases and now the A7R V, that is literally a Canon R5 from two years ago for the same price (even more expensive because you can get the R5 cheaper used now), and we no longer have this "no brainer" situation. In-fact, the R5 is actually better in a few regards. So much for that "AI autofocus".

As someone who was torn between both systems, I am staying with Canon and all it would take is for the R6 MKII to be a C version of the R6, unlocking some video features along with the other leaked additions, and it's a wrap. If it has the R3 sensor and turns out to be a mini R3? It will simply be the best camera, beating out some more expensive Sonys, not including the ridiculous cost of express cards.

I don't know why, but I still feel people riding the Sony bandwagon. It's time to hop off and come back to reality and stop being overly harsh on everything Canon yet giving Sony a pass for mediocrity and/or putting fancy names on features Canon already had like better IBIS and auto focus.

Upvote 0
Pretty late announcement.
I don't know what's Canons endgame here. Are they trying to saturate the market with a 20MP, a 24MP, 45MP and next year a 30MP EOS R camera?
Meanwhile Sony brings a brand new 60MP flagship that costs exactly the same (actually one dollar less, probably a wink from Sony) than a 2 year old R5.
Next year is for sure gonna be interesting. IMO it would've made more sense updating the original EOS R with the new AF system and new sensors first, before updating the R6. Especially regarding Sony's 30-megapixler A7IV. But Canon for sure makes some weird decisions lately, like the M50 Mark II.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
If it does come with stacked sensor it wont be anywhere cheap, currently cheapest camera you can get with stacked sensor is OM systems OM-1 a micro 43 camera for $2200. what I hope for is a BSI sensor while keeping same price, but would like to see CFexpress Type B slot making an appearance as all competition(Except Sony) in this price range have CFexpress B and SD slots. Apart from that improvement to battery life would be welcome change as well.

Edit: Cheapest FF MILC with stacked sensor is the A9 II for $4500 and its already couple of years old at this point. Whats strange is R5 which was announced at same time as R6 isn't considered 1st for replacement.

I didn't said that it would be a cheap camera. If it costs 3200€ or so, will be fine to me.

As I said, those cameras are tools to make money with it.

But I'll wait to see the final oficial specs and reviews to decide if it worth to make the jump.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Ditto on both counts. I’m especially interested in that 35 1.2

the original rumor was for a 135 1.4 which I was more interested in since I gave the sigma 1.8 and it works well with the adapter. I would love an ultra fast 135. But if it has in lens stabilization and a faster focus motor I’m still tempted. It would be smaller too without the adapter.
I'd like a 35mm f/1.2L also, Juan. Unfortunately, somewhere around here, Canon gives the impression that that one will be f/1.4. I know, we won't see much difference, but not the point, right?

Upvote 0
If it happens to be an R6 with the 24mp sensor from the R3 and removal of the 30min record limit I would be pretty tempted to upgrade!
I don t think, that there is a way, it could have a R3 sensor. I was replacing sensor due to laser damage for R6 and just part itself cost 550 €. From curiosity I ve asked about R3 and it was around 2000€, just because it is stacked. Same story fot Nikon Z9 - similar price. Stacked sensors are expensive. I don t see them put this sensor to body around 2500€but if yes, I would sell 2 R6 and one R3 and buy 2 of them and will be instantly happy

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
As a fairly recent R6 owner, I'm obviously not bothered about the body, but the 135 sounds interesting. How much do we guess it'll cost? Less than the 70-200 f/2.8?
I'll guess $2200-2500, so just less than the 70-200 2.8. Outside chance they'll try and get 3k for it. Either way, a far cry from the incredible value of the EF 135L, which I have and still love.
Is this a new lens or de f/4 L IS USM?
That would be the RF 24-104 F4 L IS, not a new lens. The STM one is the consumer grade 24-105 F/4-7.1. Both are nice lenses.

-Brian

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
With this news, I'm guessing the R6 has seen the end of feature additions via firmware. We'll probably see a few more minor updates though. Not that I'm complaining...Canon did a hell of a job with firmware updates (with the exception of 1.5.0).

I wonder if the Mark II will ditch the micro HDMI port...

Last edited:
Upvote 0