Is this a Pre-announcement leak for the D800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
The specs have been well established and photos shown, with only a few hours before the official announcement, the info is leaking everywhere. Press releases were e-mailed today but were not supposed to be released before a certain day / time, but there are too many who receive them but publish without observing the requirements.

I'm sure it will be a good camera, Nikon is very savy about testing and turning out popular bodies, and so is Canon.

Note, all the copies of the press release have been removed, there may be some somewhere, but nikon has been demanding that they be pulled until midnight.

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
4/6FPS (Native/Battery Grip)

Interesting...anyone know why the FPS would be higher with the Battery grip? Do they include some extra cache memory in there? Or does it provide a little bit of extra juice to 'overclock' something to get those extra 2 FPS? Or is it simply if you spend some extra money with Nikon, they reward you?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Drizzt321 said:
K-amps said:

Interesting...anyone know why the FPS would be higher with the Battery grip? Do they include some extra cache memory in there? Or does it provide a little bit of extra juice to 'overclock' something to get those extra 2 FPS? Or is it simply if you spend some extra money with Nikon, they reward you?

No idea of the technical basis today - seems to be a Nikon thing (I'd guess just as an inducement to spend money on the grip, I can't see a technical need). In the film days, it was that way across brands - the extra power was needed for the film winder.

Upvote 0
Over-volting is not completely out of the question, but I wouldn't bet on it. If I had to take a wild guess, it would be to provide additional current to drive the built-in flash that fast? Does Nikon have any cameras with no built-in flash nor fixed grip (a la 5D)? Seems sort of silly, though. It's always possible it's just a marketing ploy.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Drizzt321 said:
K-amps said:

No idea of the technical basis today - seems to be a Nikon thing (I'd guess just as an inducement to spend money on the grip, I can't see a technical need). In the film days, it was that way across brands - the extra power was needed for the film winder.

Nikon. Whatever. ;D

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

Meh said:
I almost never look at the Nikon Rumors site and have never read comments over there before... nasty bunch.
Funny, they say the same thing about this site!

So, it is now official, the D800 has been released, and sad as i am to say it, it does rather make the 5D2 look like old technology.

I have no desire for 36mp, but many of the others features are an improvement on the 5D2, 51pt AF, dual card slot, built in flash, up to 6fps with BG to name but some.

You will not see me jumping ship for this in any way, but it will put enormous pressure on Canon to respond or lose some considerable number of the MP brigade who can afford to make the move...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
Drizzt321 said:
K-amps said:

The equivalent to overclocking, with one of the main changes being moving the mirror.

So, the extra power from the grip is actually required to move the mirror faster? I doubt it - apparently, there's a hack to enable the higher frame rate without the grip.

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

Drizzt321 said:
K-amps said:

Yes - it's because it reverts to crop mode, giving an image size equvelant to a 15.3mp sensor, allowing to operate at the extra 2fps. Why it wants the battery grip to enable it is beyond me, unless it's because it creates a power drain when running at higher frame rate...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bvukich said:
Meh said:
... nasty bunch.

Very. That's one of the reasons we try and run a tight ship over here. Nasty may be temporarily amusing, but generally unhelpful, and particularly intimidating for new users.

Actually, the NR management are good people, but currently have a issue with the blog software. It is almost impossible to moderate, delete comments, or ban users. One day, they may get it fixed or get something different.

CR is able to easily remove inflammatory comments, threads, warn or ban users, etc, and they do this every day.

Upvote 0
G

ghosh9691

Picsfor said:
Drizzt321 said:
K-amps said:

Yes - it's because it reverts to crop mode, giving an image size equvelant to a 15.3mp sensor, allowing to operate at the extra 2fps. Why it wants the battery grip to enable it is beyond me, unless it's because it creates a power drain when running at higher frame rate...

Once it gets officially revealed, we'll know for sure why it requires a battery grip to switch to DX mode and enable higher FPS...doesn't make much sense to me since none of their other full-frames need this!

Upvote 0
G

ghosh9691

Mt Spokane Photography said:
bvukich said:
Meh said:
... nasty bunch.

Very. That's one of the reasons we try and run a tight ship over here. Nasty may be temporarily amusing, but generally unhelpful, and particularly intimidating for new users.

Actually, the NR management are good people, but currently have a issue with the blog software. It is almost impossible to moderate, delete comments, or ban users. One day, they may get it fixed or get something different.

CR is able to easily remove inflammatory comments, threads, warn or ban users, etc, and they do this every day.

I am sure the admin(s) are good folks, but they really need to update their software! Having so many jerks on their commenting on their forums is surely not good for business...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.