It’s here, Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM officially announced

Jul 21, 2010
It'll be interesting to see if that big ass front element on the 100-300 softens the focus, like what happened on the EF 50mm f/1.2. (The 1.4 is sharper).
Huh? What does front element size have to do with it? The 300/2.8 II is among the sharpest lenses ever made, and it has a front element much bigger than the EF 50/1.2. The RF 50/1.2 has a bigger front element than the EF, and it’s much sharper.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
It'll be interesting to see if the 100-300 2.8 is as sharp as the 100-500. Some people say that the 100-500 is sharper than the Canon primes at comparable focal lengths. That's pretty amazing, if true. It'll be interesting to see if that big ass front element on the 100-300 softens the focus, like what happened on the EF 50mm f/1.2. (The 1.4 is sharper). I think that will be the determining factor on whether I someday get a 100-300. I've already got a 100-500, which is a little slow for BIF at maximum range. But, if the 100-300 is softer, I can't see paying all that money for a softer lens (unless you are big time indoor fast action activities).
MTF Charts for RF100-500 mm @ 100 mm and 500 mm

Canon_RF_100_500_100mm.png

MTF Charts for RF100-300 mm

Canon_RF100_300_100 mm.png

Also remember that the RF100-300 mm lens is significantly faster than the RF 100-500 mm. Lastly, I posted a full set of MTF charts with TC's attached earlier in this thread.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It'll be interesting to see if the 100-300 2.8 is as sharp as the 100-500. Some people say that the 100-500 is sharper than the Canon primes at comparable focal lengths. That's pretty amazing, if true. It'll be interesting to see if that big ass front element on the 100-300 softens the focus, like what happened on the EF 50mm f/1.2. (The 1.4 is sharper). I think that will be the determining factor on whether I someday get a 100-300. I've already got a 100-500, which is a little slow for BIF at maximum range. But, if the 100-300 is softer, I can't see paying all that money for a softer lens (unless you are big time indoor fast action activities).
I have the RF 100-500 and an EF 300 2.8L IS II which is considered to be the sharpest EF lens made. The zoom is very sharp, sharp enough for most people most of the time but the prime still reigns supreme. The big aperture can produce dreamy images the zoom simply cannot. Finally, I've found that the prime with 1.4X gets a higher hit rate on BIF than the zoom. This is likely due to the big aperture that lets in more light and aids AF. However, the zoom is a great one--versatile, light weight and great IQ. I use mine a lot. All the sharpest lenses have large front elements. There is no evidence of a negative impact on resolution.

Upvote 0
...and not to forget the real quality in practice of the respective photographer!

For example, if I take my RF 400 at f4 and my 100-500 @8 and use it on my monopod, the results with the 400 are simply sharper, crisper and the yield is significantly better - simply better overall.
Of course: 3 against 13 Bucks must also make a difference.
Where the 100-500 is better for me, flexible situations when photographed from the hand with zooming while shooting.
But if I need reliable, high-class results, then I definitely take the RF 400.

From the 100-300 I expect the quality nearly my RF 400 to be the same overall in my way of working, just as a zoom. Also with 1.4x and 2x and a bit better than my 200-400 which is quite good at f/4 and okay at f/5.6.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I’ve only seen it said on CR that at 100mm the RF 100-500mm is as sharp as a prime. At 500mm f/7.1 it isn’t as sharp as 500m f/4 - it’s limited by diffraction for a start. But, at 500mm the RF 100-500mm will outresolve the sharper 300mm f/2.8 because the longer focal length more than compensates for the weaker sharpness.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
It'll be interesting to see if that big ass front element on the 100-300 softens the focus, like what happened on the EF 50mm f/1.2. (The 1.4 is sharper).
I had all the EF 50s (1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 MkI) and generally speaking, at f/1.8 and smaller they were comperable in my experience. Yes, the f/1.4 lens wide open was softer than f/1.8 lens wide open, and ditto 1.2 and 1.0. But at a given f-stop there wasn't a huge huge difference.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I hope that's the case (I like custom controls!), but I have my doubts. If nothing else, it means a lot of work for Canon, firmware and manuals for all RF bodies would need to be updated with an L-Fn2 option since that currently does not exist (lens button function for the pair of buttons on the RF 135L, like the 4 AF Stop buttons on supertele lenses, are set as L-Fn).
Answered my own question, simply by reading Canon's page on the lens and looking at the lens images.

The four buttons near the front of the lens are 'function buttons' that can be assigned using the L-Fn custom setting on the camera.

The single button near the mount is the focus preset button, replacing the 'playback ring' with large knurling that served that function on prior supertele lenses (and also controlled the Power Focus mode). On the 100-300/2.8, the first supertele lens designed specifically for RF, it appears the Power Focus mode is gone (I've never used it on my 600/4 II, it's a video thing). The focus preset button can be used to recall the preset focus position, or used for the same L-Fn setting as the four buttons near the front of the lens.

The switch plate tells the story – setting for the focus preset button at the top, and the PF mode from prior supertele lenses gone from the AF/MF switch.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 12.52.08 PM.png

Upvote 0
Extremely disappointed with the service at the Canon store!

I got an email on Saturday, May 27th, saying that my pre-order was expected to ship within 24-48 hours! I was really excited.

Then I logged into my account yesterday to see if there was a tracking number, but it showed the order was canceled! No one contacted me and I didn't cancel it. I tried calling, but they were closed for Memorial Day.

Woke up this morning and promptly called Canon at 6am (Pacific time, since they opened at 9am Eastern time). After a moderately long hold I spoke to someone who confirmed the order was canceled. Some problem with the billing address, they said. I replied that I had my card in my hands and we can process it over the phone. The conversation went:

Canon rep: "Well, this was a pre-order and now it is canceled and can't be updated. We have to submit a new order".
Me: "Ok, we can process this as a new order, but you can then just ship me the lens that was ready to be shipped to me."
Canon rep: "Oh, it doesn't work that way. The system doesn't let us. Let me see if we have it in stock... Oh, it is back ordered..."
Canon rep: "I have no estimate for when you would receive it"
Me: "Can't you just input me at the priority point corresponding to my pre-order?"
Me: "I tried calling over the weekend, but you were closed, and no one contacted me."
Canon rep: "Sorry, the system won't let me."
Me: "There must be someone who can override the system and maintain my order priority"
Canon rep: "You can talk to the supervisor, but they can't change the system"
Me: "Ok, let me talk to the supervisor".
Canon sup: "Hi, how can I help?"
Me: [I explain the entire story]
Canon sup: "Oh, the system won't let me update. You have to create a new order. I don't know when you would receive it, it is back ordered"
Me: "There must be someone who can input my order maintaining my preorder priority"
Canon sup: "No, it can't be done"
Me: "Surely, if we keep escalating all the way up to the Canon CEO, he would be able to do it"
Canon sup: "No, it can't be done. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

At this point, I asked for the supervisor's name and politely ended the call.

I get shortages, I get too much demand. All good. But as a customer, I did the work to get in line, I woke up early for the announcement. I followed all the news on CR and was up when the lens was announced to place my preorder immediately. I followed up on the email they sent on shipping, I called immediately as soon as I learned of a problem (BTW, I still have not been contacted by Canon regarding my order, other than the message saying it would be shipped within 24-48 hours. I only found out it was canceled because I logged in to get the tracking number). Still, I won't be getting the lens anytime soon. Disappointing.

I really love Canon products, but this experience has really dampened my enthusiasm. If it were a retailer, I would just blame them and keep on trying to get my hands on the lens. But this was Canon.

I guess in the end the problem is really mine. Getting too excited for the new technology. I'll still be watching for updates on gear, but won't be lining up for new products quite so eagerly. The older, used products are awesome as well. Perhaps I'll enjoy those for longer. In this case, I'll be hanging on to my Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports. I'll look into the RF 100-300mm sometime down the road, perhaps when it hits the refurb store.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

I got an email on Saturday, May 29th, saying that my pre-order was expected to ship within 24-48 hours! I was really excited.

Then I logged into my account yesterday to see if there was a tracking number, but it showed the order was canceled! No one contacted me and I didn't cancel it. I tried calling, but they were closed for Memorial Day.

Woke up this morning and promptly called Canon at 6am (Pacific time, since they opened at 9am Eastern time). After a moderately long hold I spoke to someone who confirmed the order was canceled. Some problem with the billing address, they said. I replied that I had my card in my hands and we can process it over the phone. The conversation went:

Canon rep: "Well, this was a pre-order and now it is canceled and can't be updated. We have to submit a new order".
Me: "Ok, we can process this as a new order, but you can then just ship me the lens that was ready to be shipped to me."
Canon rep: "Oh, it doesn't work that way. The system doesn't let us. Let me see if we have it in stock... Oh, it is back ordered..."
Me: "Can't you just input me at the priority point corresponding to my pre-order?"
Me: "I tried calling over the weekend, but you were closed, and no one contacted me."
Me: "There must be someone who can override the system and maintain my order priority"
Canon sup: "Oh, the system won't let me update. You have to create a new order. I don't know when you would receive it, it is back ordered"
Me: "There must be someone who can input my order maintaining my preorder priority"
Me: "Surely, if we keep escalating all the way up to the Canon CEO, he would be able to do it"

I get shortages, I get too much demand. All good. But as a customer, I did the work to get in line, I woke up early for the announcement. I followed all the news on CR and was up when the lens was announced to place my preorder immediately. I followed up on the email they sent on shipping, I called immediately as soon as I learned of a problem (BTW, I still have not been contacted by Canon regarding my order, other than the message saying it would be shipped within 24-48 hours. I only found out it was canceled because I logged in to get the tracking number). Still, I won't be getting the lens anytime soon. Disappointing.

I really love Canon products, but this experience has really dampened my enthusiasm. If it were a retailer, I would just blame them and keep on trying to get my hands on the lens. But this was Canon.

I guess in the end the problem is really mine. Getting too excited for the new technology. I'll still be watching for updates on gear, but won't be lining up for new products quite so eagerly. The older, used products are awesome as well. Perhaps I'll enjoy those for longer. In this case, I'll be hanging on to my Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports. I'll look into the RF 100-300mm sometime down the road, perhaps when it hits the refurb store.
That really sucks. The lesson to learn is don't preorder from the Canon web store. There are ample reports of experiences just like yours, both with preorders and with orders for 'available' but frequently backordered items. Often when a stock notice is posted here or elsewhere for the Canon USA store, the product page says 'in stock' but upon adding it to a cart it shows as backordered. The only time you should consider ordering from Canon is if you're purchasing a refurbished item.

For new releases or existing, commonly backordered items, preorder from B&H or Adorama, or your local retailer if you have one. When 'hot' new items are allocated, local shops will often get one or two and at preorder time they're usually forthcoming about your place in the queue – if they say you're first or second, you have a ver good chance of getting it at release time. If you order from B&H or Adorama, order first thing in the morning on announcement day. That's especially true today, with Canon warning of delays in filling orders. When the R3 was announced, preorders went live at ~6a Eastern time, I ordered mine at about 6:45a. Orders placed that day up until about 9a were filled from the first allotment that shipped around Thanksgiving. Orders placed later that same morning were not shipped until a couple of months later.

In the case of the 100-300/2.8, Canon HQ is actually warning that people who preordered the lens may not even receive it this year. Really sorry you're getting screwed, at least now you know what not to do next time.

Upvote 0
That really sucks. The lesson to learn is don't preorder from the Canon web store. There are ample reports of experiences just like yours, both with preorders and with orders for 'available' but frequently backordered items. Often when a stock notice is posted here or elsewhere for the Canon USA store, the product page says 'in stock' but upon adding it to a cart it shows as backordered. The only time you should consider ordering from Canon is if you're purchasing a refurbished item.

For new releases or existing, commonly backordered items, preorder from B&H or Adorama, or your local retailer if you have one. When 'hot' new items are allocated, local shops will often get one or two and at preorder time they're usually forthcoming about your place in the queue – if they say you're first or second, you have a ver good chance of getting it at release time. If you order from B&H or Adorama, order first thing in the morning on announcement day. That's especially true today, with Canon warning of delays in filling orders. When the R3 was announced, preorders went live at ~6a Eastern time, I ordered mine at about 6:45a. Orders placed that day up until about 9a were filled from the first allotment that shipped around Thanksgiving. Orders placed later that same morning were not shipped until a couple of months later.

In the case of the 100-300/2.8, Canon HQ is actually warning that people who preordered the lens may not even receive it this year. Really sorry you're getting screwed, at least now you know what not to do next time.

Yeah, perhaps trusting Canon was really unwise.

This isn't exactly my first rodeo, though. I have pre-ordered from them in the past with success. I have preordered "simultaneously" from Canon and B&H, finalizing the purchase/preorder for both within 10min of the order buttons becoming live. I received the Canon order at the launch date and canceled the B&H a few months after receiving the Canon order. I originally ordered my R5 from B&H, which was my first experience with lunch delivery delays. I didn't receive it when it started shipping. I only ordered it a few days after it was available to order, so wasn't exactly at the top of the list, I guess. I waited three weeks, calling B&H, and nothing. Though they gave me estimates of where I was in priority, and their shipment expectation, even though they couldn't guarantee shipments would arrive as scheduled. I then went on the Canon store and had one of those "in stock" moments and ordered it. I got it within 2 weeks. Nothing from B&H and I canceled the order there.

My B&H order for the RF 135mm was placed within 3min of the preorder going live. Only received the lens some 3 months after it started shipping.

I have had much better luck with my local and some remote smaller retailers. Got both the R7 and R8 through that route at launch, with no delays.

For a high-end lens like this, it is a bit trickier to use smaller retailers and I went straight to Canon.

It is unacceptable that they canceled without contacting me. I tried calling them, but they were closed. I called them within 1 min of when they reopened. They know I preordered as soon as it was announced. They have all the information they know that I was not contacted and that they were closed and didn't take my call. Still, it is their policy to ignore it and send me away. It is their policy, not a glitch, their policy. That is what bugs me the most.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yeah, perhaps trusting Canon was really unwise.

This isn't exactly my first rodeo, though. I have pre-ordered from them in the past with success. I have preordered "simultaneously" from Canon and B&H, finalizing the purchase/preorder for both within 10min of the order buttons becoming live. I received the Canon order at the launch date and canceled the B&H a few months after receiving the Canon order. I originally ordered my R5 from B&H, which was my first experience with lunch delivery delays. I didn't receive it when it started shipping. I only ordered it a few days after it was available to order, so wasn't exactly at the top of the list, I guess. I waited three weeks, calling B&H, and nothing. Though they gave me estimates of where I was in priority, and their shipment expectation, even though they couldn't guarantee shipments would arrive as scheduled. I then went on the Canon store and had one of those "in stock" moments and ordered it. I got it within 2 weeks. Nothing from B&H and I canceled the order there.

My B&H order for the RF 135mm was placed within 3min of the preorder going live. Only received the lens some 3 months after it started shipping.

I have had much better luck with my local and some remote smaller retailers. Got both the R7 and R8 through that route at launch, with no delays.

For a high-end lens like this, it is a bit trickier to use smaller retailers and I went straight to Canon.

It is unacceptable that they canceled without contacting me. I tried calling them, but they were closed. I called them within 1 min of when they reopened. They know I preordered as soon as it was announced. They have all the information they know that I was not contacted and that they were closed and didn't take my call. Still, it is their policy to ignore it and send me away. It is their policy, not a glitch, their policy. That is what bugs me the most.
Ny experience with Canon Europe is similar to yours: it works, right up to the point where you need to contact support. The support department has absolutely no power to make any changes, they can only take new orders or listen to you.

I pre-ordered my R8 at a proper camera store and when the embargo ended, I received a payment link and a few seconds after that a cancellation. That was luckily during business hours and their phone support could reactivate the order again. Their system couldn't handle the pre-order to stock ratio and started canceling a bit too many pre-orders. I was happy with how fast they resolved their screw up and I am a lot more confident for future orders.

Hopefully this thread makes people think twice about pre-ordering through Canon directly, Canon is play-acting at being a store, badly.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US

I got an email on Saturday, May 27th, saying that my pre-order was expected to ship within 24-48 hours! I was really excited.

Unfortunately, I have had similar luck with the Canon store when I preordered an expensive lens. I ended up canceling the order and buying through my local retailer which was a much more straight-forward process.

• Sad
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
Some people say that the 100-500 is sharper than the Canon primes at comparable focal lengths.
If you check this site's forum's Lens subforum you'll see my comparisons with SHOOTOUT in the title, showing you test target roundels hand-held with various lenses. at shutter speeds down to 1 or 2 sec. But to summarize:

My 100-500 is substantially sharper than my EF135, which was the sharpest black lens except maybe the 180, and possibly the 35/1.4 MkII. The 100-500 is NOT in the league of the RF135, but nothing else I've ever shot is either.

The 100-500 is equal to the RF100 Mac (and both beat the 24-105/4). If you don't need mac or f/2.8, there's no real reason to change lenses, I think, even for a once-in-a-lifetime shot even when you've got the RF100Mac right there in your bag.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
I'm so sorry to hear this story. I'd have called in a personal day at work and stayed on the phone with them until they shipped me that lens. They've clearly got them in the warehouse. They know the warehouse's number. Find the specific lens about to be sent to someone whose order was filled when you mistakenly cancelled mine, and give, me, that, lens.

Upvote 0
I have the RF 100-500 and an EF 300 2.8L IS II which is considered to be the sharpest EF lens made. The zoom is very sharp, sharp enough for most people most of the time but the prime still reigns supreme. The big aperture can produce dreamy images the zoom simply cannot. Finally, I've found that the prime with 1.4X gets a higher hit rate on BIF than the zoom. This is likely due to the big aperture that lets in more light and aids AF. However, the zoom is a great one--versatile, light weight and great IQ. I use mine a lot. All the sharpest lenses have large front elements. There is no evidence of a negative impact on resolution.
Sorry to pick and split hairs...but no the ef 300mm f2.8 II LIS is not THE sharpest Canon ef lens ever made, just ONE of the sharpest ef lenses Canon have ever made. It might be the sharpest lens that you won. However, the ef 400mm f2.8 III LIS technically slightly sharper. This is only really seen when fitting 2x teleconverters. However, produciton variation could easily make one 400IIIL slghtly softer than another 300IIL. Then there's the whole AF accuracy question that can easily make one lens appear softer that it really is.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry to pick and split hairs...but no the ef 300mm f2.8 II LIS is not THE sharpest Canon ef lens ever made, just ONE of the sharpest ef lenses Canon have ever made. It might be the sharpest lens that you won. However, the ef 400mm f2.8 III LIS technically slightly sharper. This is only really seen when fitting 2x teleconverters. However, produciton variation could easily make one 400IIIL slghtly softer than another 300IIL. Then there's the whole AF accuracy question that can easily make one lens appear softer that it really is.
Here are Canon's diffraction-corrected MTF charts for the EF 300mm f/2.8ii (first) and EF 400mm f/2.8iii (second). Interestingly, the older EF 400mm f/2.8ii (3rd) is sharper, according to Canon. According to Canon, when adding a 2xTCIII, the 300mm ii (4th) is more sharp than the 400mm iii + 2xTCIII (5th), as also seen on the TDP site https://www.the-digital-picture.com...meraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=1 There was discussion earlier here when the iii series came out that Canon had lowered IQ slightly by reducing weight by making some elements smaller and moving them to the rear of the lens.

300mm_ii.png400mm_iii.pngMTF400.pngef300-f28l-is-ii-usm.pngef400-f28l-is-iii-usm.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0