It’s here, Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM officially announced

Jul 21, 2010
An electronic distance limiter which allowed the user to choose minimum and maximum distances for the AF the range over would be nice, and could be toggled on/off via a customised button.
That's possible, but I'm not sure Canon will ever implement such a setting. Seems like something with a niche application. As I stated, the switch on the lens seems associated with the AF characteristics of the lens itself (focusing speed at different subject distances).

I would have preferred if Canon had fitted both of the above lenses with a custom button, even if it added a couple of hundred to the price.
AFAIK no one has mentioned it in this thread, but given the topic is the 100-300/2.8L, I'll point out that it seems the new lens has lens function button close to the mount like the RF 135/1.8L. That's in addition to the set of four (AF Stop) buttons close to the red ring. I haven't watched any of the video intros to the lens (I'm not a youtube person, typically). Anyone know if the setup is just 5 buttons all assigned to the same function, or if the button close to the mount can be assigned a separate function from the AF Stop buttons near the red ring?

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 11.45.31 AM.png

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
That's possible, but I'm not sure Canon will ever implement such a setting. Seems like something with a niche application. As I stated, the switch on the lens seems associated with the AF characteristics of the lens itself (focusing speed at different subject distances).

AFAIK no one has mentioned it in this thread, but given the topic is the 100-300/2.8L, I'll point out that it seems the new lens has lens function button close to the mount like the RF 135/1.8L. That's in addition to the set of four (AF Stop) buttons close to the red ring. I haven't watched any of the video intros to the lens (I'm not a youtube person, typically). Anyone know if the setup is just 5 buttons all assigned to the same function, or if the button close to the mount can be assigned a separate function from the AF Stop buttons near the red ring?

View attachment 208739
That looks to be an odd choice of location for a function button, where it has to be operated by a finger on the right hand, especially when one's mind and muscle-memory are concentrated on using that hand to adjust exposure settings, use BBF and/or AEL, and press the shutter button.

I think it would have been better to have this button further out on the barrel, and on the opposite side, on the section between the tripod ring and the focus ring. That would be a natural position for the thumb of the left hand to fall.

It would be interesting to try this lens, and to see whether my finger could easily reach the buttons behind the red ring, while also being able to turn the zoom and focus rings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
OT: Canon recently released their quarterly financial results:

Interesting to note that the top priorities in their growth strategy for Imaging include:
  • "expand RF lens line up" with "vast array of lenses that no other company can match"
  • no mention of additional bodies for 2023/4
  • something half-hidden on the last slide about "imaging sharpening technology"
  • improving low light performance
  • "Develop products that incorporate SPAD* sensors with 1/9th the size of current sensors, very low noise" (surveillance cameras).
*SPAD = Single Photon Avalanche Diode

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That looks to be an odd choice of location for a function button, where it has to be operated by a finger on the right hand, especially when one's mind and muscle-memory are concentrated on using that hand to adjust exposure settings, use BBF and/or AEL, and press the shutter button.

I think it would have been better to have this button further out on the barrel, and on the opposite side, on the section between the tripod ring and the focus ring. That would be a natural position for the thumb of the left hand to fall.

It would be interesting to try this lens, and to see whether my finger could easily reach the buttons behind the red ring, while also being able to turn the zoom and focus rings.
Seems like a good location to me. When holding my R3 with my right hand, if I extend my middle finger to touch the barrel of the attached lens that's pretty much right where it hits, and I can do that with my index finger on the shutter button or the main dial and my thumb on one of the back controls.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Anyone know if the setup is just 5 buttons all assigned to the same function, or if the button close to the mount can be assigned a separate function from the AF Stop buttons near the red ring?
Just guessing that:

All the buttons behind the ring have the same function, and exist so they can be easily reached regardless of finger position.

The button close to the mount can be assigned to a different function, otherwise I see no purpose for it, in that position.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Seems like a good location to me. When holding my R3 with my right hand, if I extend my middle finger to touch the barrel of the attached lens that's pretty much right where it hits, and I can do that with my index finger on the shutter button or the main dial and my thumb on one of the back controls.
Your manual dexterity is clearly better than mine!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Just guessing that:

All the buttons behind the ring have the same function, and exist so they can be easily reached regardless of finger position.

The button close to the mount can be assigned to a different function, otherwise I see no purpose for it, in that position.
I hope that's the case (I like custom controls!), but I have my doubts. If nothing else, it means a lot of work for Canon, firmware and manuals for all RF bodies would need to be updated with an L-Fn2 option since that currently does not exist (lens button function for the pair of buttons on the RF 135L, like the 4 AF Stop buttons on supertele lenses, are set as L-Fn).

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I hope that's the case (I like custom controls!), but I have my doubts. If nothing else, it means a lot of work for Canon, firmware and manuals for all RF bodies would need to be updated with an L-Fn2 option since that currently does not exist (lens button function for the pair of buttons on the RF 135L, like the 4 AF Stop buttons on supertele lenses, are set as L-Fn).
Yes true, but firmware gets updated regularly with features that are arguably less important/relevant.

It's pretty quick and easy to update manuals, as they are all pdf files nowadays - I have no idea though, whether or not Canon normally updates manuals within the lifetime of individual cameras.

I hope the lens lives up to your aspirations - it's vastly beyond my budget unfortunately.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes true, but firmware gets updated regularly with features that are arguably less important/relevant.

It's pretty quick and easy to update manuals, as they are all pdf files nowadays - I have no idea though, whether or not Canon normally updates manuals within the lifetime of individual cameras.[…]
The ones on cam.start.canon get updated along with each new firmware release.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
True. They released an R3 update adding compatibility for the EL-5. An wasn't needed for the R6II because it was compatible at launch. I checked my R8 hoping the custom controls showed an L-Fn2 option, but no joy.

It's pretty quick and easy to update manuals, as they are all pdf files nowadays - I have no idea though, whether or not Canon normally updates manuals within the lifetime of individual cameras.
I know there were new manuals released for the v2 firmwares for the 7D and 1D X

I hope the lens lives up to your aspirations - it's vastly beyond my budget unfortunately.
We'll see. I'll definitely share my impressions.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Interesting. Its a cheaper in the US than anywhere else I've seen so far (did not check China yet). Even in Japan its like 11.5K USD.
Here in NZ it's $19,300 +gst (USD$10,640) which is about $1,140 USD more than USA price but then we get a full 5 year warranty here vs limited 1 year warranty in USA
If I fly to Sydney I can buy one duty free and still get the local NZ warranty.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Not sure when you bought yours, perhaps there was a silent update by Canon? I purchased my RF 100-500 and 70-200/2.8 in Aug/Sep 2021, and there is a detent at both ends of both hoods, one to hold the window shut and the other to hold it open. In either position, I can flick the window reasonably hard and it doesn't move. Opening it requires a declarative push. Check it out:

View attachment 208717

As I said, if it catches on something like a belt it will open. Sliding it down into a tight-fitting camera bag slot can certainly open it. It most assuredly doesn't 'open on its own' as you previously stated.

I mostly use my 100-500 in warm, sunny weather but that lens has a zoom tensioner anyway. I typically use my 70-200/2.8 for indoor events, so if there's a temperature dependence, I would not have noticed. But it's worth noting in this context that Roger Cicala stated in the lens teardown that, "The Canon RF 70-200mm has about the most robust extending barrel mechanism I’ve ever seen."

No, you didn't. I just figured that since you were saying Canon was using engineering not up to the standards of other manufacturers (a viewpoint thoroughly refuted by Uncle Rog in the linked blog post above), I wondered if this was an area where Canon was 'not as good as the competition'...apparently not.

And when people complain they miss a shot because the switch was in the wrong position? In theory, more options are better. In practice, that's not always true. As I stated, there's an engineering reason why Canon uses 2- vs. 3- position switches on various lenses.

As a side note, a 'needless way to cut cost' is an oxymoron – from a manufacturer's standpoint, there's always a need to cut cost. Since the manufacturer is making these decisions, and since we're talking about the design decisions being made, the relevant viewpoint is that of Canon...and they will need a reason to cut profit by spending more on manufacturing the product, not to cut costs. Apparently in the case of a 3-position focus limiter, that reason is insufficient.

Out of curiosity, did you use your grooved Oly lens foot with an RRS lever clamp and if so, did it work? I know that despite what RRS says about using only RRS and Wimberley plates, the Acratech plate I use on my M6II works fine with their lever clamps. I wonder if people would think the grooves make the foot less comfortable as a handle? If it's such a great idea (and honestly, I think it generally is), why are there only two manufacturers that offer it...and none of them are the big three?

Looking at the one Tamron and three Olympus lenses that have the integrated dovetail in the foot, it does seem that those feet are noticeably thicker than the feet on Canon/Sony/Nikon lenses, as if the dovetail was added to the bottom of the foot as opposed to grooves being cut into the sides as you suggest. That means more metal, more weight, and more cost...good reasons (from a manufacturer perspective) to not add the dovetail, especially when other solutions are readily available at no additional cost to the manufacturer (i.e. lens plates and replacement feet from various vendors).

The R8 does, as does the R10. So most likely it will be in all future bodies, but they won't add it to the R5. Lots of people have lots of features from newer cameras they want to see in older cameras, most won't happen. Can you say pre-shooting buffer for the R3?

Sorry, that was me being facetious. Seems the :p emoji did not adequately convey that.
I use RRS base plates under the camera bottom to give it A-S grooves & optional 90 degree grooves. I use various makes of the clamps but I don't use RRS lever ones. I've never had any compatibility problem with all the various makers and Olympus feet, and I've got simple setups to dual Nodal Ninja ball bearing rotators for nodal-centered panoramas.

Ok, I misread the intent of your last comment. I thank you for letting me know. All good now. (y)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
That's possible, but I'm not sure Canon will ever implement such a setting. Seems like something with a niche application.
You're probably right, and Canon won't implement in-body electronic distance limiters. They sometimes make odd decisions. 8K is a niche application. 200MP pixel shift is even more niche. Yet they went to considerable effort to put both in the R5. They often seem overly-occupied with the numbers game, because high megapixel counts impress buyers. I honestly wouldn't swap my R5 for any other current camera from any brand, but I do wish Canon would include more features that were of practical value to the majority of users (I won't list them all, as I'd just be repeating previous posts).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
You're probably right, and Canon won't implement in-body electronic distance limiters. They sometimes make odd decisions. 8K is a niche application. 200MP pixel shift is even more niche. Yet they went to considerable effort to put both in the R5. They often seem overly-occupied with the numbers game, because high megapixel counts impress buyers. I honestly wouldn't swap my R5 for any other current camera from any brand, but I do wish Canon would include more features that were of practical value to the majority of users (I won't list them all, as I'd just be repeating previous posts).
In-body electronic distance limiters is something I wished Canon would have implemented years ago. I suspect it would not be difficult to do.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
In-body electronic distance limiters is something I wished Canon would have implemented years ago. I suspect it would not be difficult to do.
It can't be very difficult. Basically, it just needs for the user to manually set the focus ring to a minimum distance, press a button to register it, and then repeat for the maximum distance. Then hit "confirm" and that would constrain the AF to the required distance zone until such time as the user cancelled the setting. The data is there already, the buttons are there already. What are you waiting for, Canon? How long does it take to write a bit of code and bung it in a firmware update?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It can't be very difficult. Basically, it just needs for the user to manually set the focus ring to a minimum distance, press a button to register it, and then repeat for the maximum distance. Then hit "confirm" and that would constrain the AF to the required distance zone until such time as the user cancelled the setting. The data is there already, the buttons are there already. What are you waiting for, Canon? How long does it take to write a bit of code and bung it in a firmware update?
If they do that, they should add that functionality to the focus bracketing feature as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0