It’s here, Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM officially announced

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I have the exact issue in Africa where they have 8 kg limits as well. I am taking the vest so if needed I can put all batteries, both camera bodies in my vest to get under the 8 kg limit. I also upgraded my flights to business class and hopefully that helps as well.
small planes are the worst for baggage restrictions. Soft bags for checked-in and miniscule carry-on. The vest certainly helps there

Upvote 0

photographer

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 17, 2020
Exactly.

It's nearly always a lot cheaper to buy on the grey market, wherever you live. Most of the exporters are extremely reliable, with fast delivery, and often with a much better warranty than the one provided by the official Canon distributor. Why pay extortionate amounts for local warehousing, intermediate shipping etc, when you can save 25% or more by ordering from Hong Kong and have the items safely in your hands 4 days later? Canon Europe is a huge rip off.
The disadvantage is that the service may refuse to repair it because the camera or lens is not intended for that country.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The disadvantage is that the service may refuse to repair it because the camera or lens is not intended for that country.
Can you quote specific examples?

The official distributor (e.g. Canon Europe/USA) will obviously refuse to honour warranties provided by grey exporters/importers, but they will have a network of appointed independent service centres, who are fully trained on Canon products, and Canon will supply them with any necessary components for any repairs, at least that is the case in the UK.

I can't comment on the policies of the numerous exporters, only the one that I've used for the last 10 years (Panamoz), who have proven to be utterly dependable.

At no additional cost, they provide a 3 year unlimited warranty. In the event of a warranty claim, I would be required to send the camera to one of the aforementioned Canon-appointed service centres in my country, (e.g. Fixation) and the exporter reimburses the full cost of parts and labour.

Fortunately, I've never needed to make a warranty claim, but I know a couple of people who have, and who use the same exporter that I do, and they had their gear repaired rapidly and their incurred fees were quickly reimbursed by the exporter.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Can you quote specific examples?

The official distributor (e.g. Canon Europe/USA) will obviously refuse to honour warranties provided by grey exporters/importers, but they will have a network of appointed independent service centres, who are fully trained on Canon products, and Canon will supply them with any necessary components for any repairs, at least that is the case in the UK.
In the USA, there are zero Canon-authorized independent service centers. There was one, but Canon stopped authorizing them for products released after about a decade ago. There are independent service centers, but if you want Canon-authorized service then Canon USA is your only option here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I have the exact issue in Africa where they have 8 kg limits as well. I am taking the vest so if needed I can put all batteries, both camera bodies in my vest to get under the 8 kg limit. I also upgraded my flights to business class and hopefully that helps as well.
I take a jacket with large zipped pockets that hold a couple of lenses while I'm checking in. Then after going through security I put them back in the carry on luggage. Most airlines have a scale to weigh luggage again at the boarding gate, but I do at least 60 flights a year and I've never seen anyone get their bag weighed at the gate. I suppose that if you appear obviously struggling with a really heavy case you might get checked, but almost everyone uses wheelie cases these days, so it's easy to disguise the weight.

As an aside, I really wish that airlines would weigh the people as well as the baggage. What weighs more and uses the most aviation fuel - a big guy with a small bag, or a little guy with a heavy bag? It's the combined weight that counts. Yeah, ok I'm not a big guy - I started out average but I've shrunk a little!

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
From Canon Japan (translated; link):

Apology and guidance for the supply status of products​

Updated date: April 24, 2023
Thank you very much for your continued patronage of Canon products.
Currently, we have received more orders than expected for each of the following products, and due to the impact of global parts supply, there is a delay in delivery. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers and business partners.
We apologize again for making the customers who are looking forward to us have been waiting for a long time. We will continue to take measures for a stable product supply so that we can deliver products as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
Note
product nameAbout the supply
  • RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM
It is scheduled to be shipped sequentially, but it may take longer than usual.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[…] As an aside, I really wish that airlines would weigh the people as well as the baggage. What weighs more and uses the most aviation fuel - a big guy with a small bag, or a little guy with a heavy bag? It's the combined weight that counts. Yeah, ok I'm not a big guy - I started out average but I've shrunk a little!
I’ve seen the aftermath of a short, slim person pointing to a tall, large bodied person behind them saying “Are you going to mention the importance of load balancing to them as well? The combined weight of me with my 1 kilo over budget suitcase is sure as hell a lot lower than theirs without a suitcase!”

The military police at Schiphol airport got to use all of their de-escalation training that morning :)

Your idea makes sense, but since we’re talking about air travel, there will only be losers in that case.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
In the USA, there are zero Canon-authorized independent service centers. There was one, but Canon stopped authorizing them for products released after about a decade ago. There are independent service centers, but if you want Canon-authorized service then Canon USA is your only option here.
Interesting. It's possible things may have changed here in the UK too, the last time I needed to contact CPS was 5 years ago.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting. It's possible things may have changed here in the UK too, the last time I needed to contact CPS was 5 years ago.
"In the event that your Canon product develops a fault, we provide a network of service locations (consisting of Canon Professional Service Centres and Canon Authorised Service Partners) who will be happy to repair your product to the original Canon specifications." It's illegal in the UK to insist on a monopoly for repair, and so Mercedes, for example, can't invalidate the warranty on your car if you choose a non-Mercedes garage. When I had a hassle with Canon over replacing the eyecup on the R7 they told me to buy it from CRC Tasktron!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
As an aside, I really wish that airlines would weigh the people as well as the baggage. What weighs more and uses the most aviation fuel - a big guy with a small bag, or a little guy with a heavy bag? It's the combined weight that counts. Yeah, ok I'm not a big guy - I started out average but I've shrunk a little!

sizeism

Discrimination towards people of a different height, usually against people at the extremes of the height range, i.e: Extremely tall people or extremely short people.
Similar to racism but concerning height, not race.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

sizeism

Discrimination towards people of a different height, usually against people at the extremes of the height range, i.e: Extremely tall people or extremely short people.
Similar to racism but concerning height, not race.
Not discrimination in my book, just the opposite i.e. everyone being treated by the same rule about how much impact our weight has on aviation fuel and hence on the cost of flights and inconvenience to other passengers. The woke crowd have created an "ism" for anything and everything, but perhaps this isn't the place to have a non-photographic debate.

• Sad
Upvote 0
@entoman they do that indirectly.

Morbidly obese persons are physically unable to fit into an economy seat. Out of necessity they need to buy 2 adjacent seats. Naturally they complain but forget that their physical states is the exception and not the norm.

On weighing people + their things... that does occur with budget airlines with razor thin margins. Airlines that do not treat people as cattle avoid this business practice as the margins are sufficient enough.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
Grey sellers incorporated in Australia still have to provide a minimum of 1 year warranty. They ship back to Hong Kong for the repairs where they generally are sourced from. Canon Australia wouldn't touch them under warranty especially as they provide a local 5 year warranty. A real issue if you genuinely purchased in another country and moved to Australia vs a shopping holiday.
Canon Australia will service at normal costs if sent to them.
As far as I know, at one time Canon lenses had their warranties worldwide whereas the bodies were had only local support

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I thought that Canon USA may change this after the Apple service case for right-to-repair vs monopoly power.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Perhaps. But also, I’m sure based on sales and registration records they have a good estimate of the numbers of drop-in filters they’ve sold relative to the number of 300/2.8 lenses, the number they’ve lent out along with a 300/2.8 at an event, etc. If only a small fraction of 300/2.8 owners ever bought a drop-in filter, perhaps Canon felt it could be omitted.

If they have data suggesting only a very small minority of 300/2.8 users use a CPL, that’s also a reason to omit the window on the hood. Some find it beneficial, but I’ve heard complaints that it’s too easy to open when that’s not wanted. IIRC, Bryan/TDP even mentioned in one review he considered permanently closing it with epoxy.

Personally, I use a CPL with long lenses only very, very rarely. I don’t think I’ve ever mounted one on my RF 70-200/2.8 or 100-500. However, I have learned to mount the hoods on those lenses with the window down because it does frequently end up open if I’m walking around with the lens mounted. I won’t miss the window on the 100-300/2.8.
I also notice that the Canon sliding openings on the Canon long zoom hoods are much too loose, and will open or close on their own. I don't know how they could have designed something so poorly on a camera with such high lens & build complexity out the wazoo. I also notice that the 70-200 f2.8L lens zooms too easily and will sometimes drift off of the zoom position I want. Also, they have a zoom lock button which only works at the stowed position. I would have much preferred if the lock could have locks the zoom at any setting. And they often have a 2 position AF limit switch which ignores those who choose to shoot close images some of the times. They also have long tele feet without any Arca-Swiss grooves which would have cost next to nothing to add to their build (as other makers have done for a long time now). And they don't show the lens focal distance for the current zoom position on the EVF while you're composing and taking shots (which is no problem with other brands). It just looks to me like they might have a lot of engineers just out of college as major parts of the teams making crucial decisions without using all other makes of cameras & lenses to make sure they are making things at least as good as the competition in all possible areas.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
From Canon Japan (translated; link):

Apology and guidance for the supply status of products​

Updated date: April 24, 2023
Thank you very much for your continued patronage of Canon products.
Currently, we have received more orders than expected for each of the following products, and due to the impact of global parts supply, there is a delay in delivery. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers and business partners.
We apologize again for making the customers who are looking forward to us have been waiting for a long time. We will continue to take measures for a stable product supply so that we can deliver products as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
Note
product nameAbout the supply
  • RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM
It is scheduled to be shipped sequentially, but it may take longer than usual.
Thank you for posting. My local Canon dealer ordered mine the morning of the release date and I am the first order for the store. Hopefully, I have it in time for my trip to Alaska in August, but I am only mildly optimistic.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
I also notice that the Canon sliding openings on the Canon long zoom hoods are much too loose, and will open or close on their own. I don't know how they could have designed something so poorly on a camera with such high lens & build complexity out the wazoo.
They don’t seem ‘loose’ to me, there’s a click-stop in the fully closed and fully open position. Nor do they ‘open on their own’. Hyperbolize much? If yours actually does, it’s defective. I just took mine (both copies) and shook / wrist-snapped them as forcefully as I could, and with the window either open or closed it didn’t move.

If you bump it, sure it opens…and yes, I find that annoying. I know in my case, it’s usually because I carry it on a BlackRapid strap and it dangles with the hood bumping me. I suspect if I used the neck strap Canon provided (which remains unopened in the box) it wouldn’t be an issue.

Probably another debate at Canon – should we put a lock on it? But then some people would complain they couldn’t get it open fast enough.

I also notice that the 70-200 f2.8L lens zooms too easily and will sometimes drift off of the zoom position I want. Also, they have a zoom lock button which only works at the stowed position. I would have much preferred if the lock could have locks the zoom at any setting.
The zoom on mine doesn’t creep at all. I don’t use the lock, there’s no need even with the 70-200 dangling. Since you suggest other manufacturers employ superior engineering, which of them has a zoom lock that can be applied at any focal length?

And they often have a 2 position AF limit switch which ignores those who choose to shoot close images some of the times.
The point of a focus limiter switch is to speed up AF. The available options are generally matched to the focus gearing of the lens, which is not necessarily linear. If a lens focuses slower at near distances than at far distances, it makes sense to be able to block the near part of the range and a two-position limiter does the job. If a lens has a more linear drive with a long focus throw, as is the case with many of the supertele lenses, it makes sense to be able to select the near range, the far range, or the full range and thus those lenses often have three-position limiters.

They also have long tele feet without any Arca-Swiss grooves which would have cost next to nothing to add to their build (as other makers have done for a long time now).
I don't see integrated AS grooves on new Nikon or Sony long lenses. Looks like Tamron puts them on a lens or two, and Olympus put them on one. Am I missing some new trend among major OEMs? It doesn't seem all that common, as you imply.

Perhaps one reason they don't is that there's no such thing as an 'Arca Swiss' standard. What if the grooves on an OEM foot didn't work with every clamp? In particular, Really Right Stuff warns, "Due to wide variations in other brands of Arca-Swiss compatible plates, we recommend using our lever-release clamps only with Really Right Stuff or Wimberley brand quick-release plates. ... Our lever-release clamps are not user adjustable, so the plate that you use in our lever-release clamp has to be EXACTLY the right width. Only Really Right Stuff and Wimberley build plates to the same exacting tolerances." Screw clamps are more forgiving, but personally I prefer lever clamps.

There's also the issue of balance. Compare the Canon foot of the 600/4 to the RRS replacement foot:
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 9.59.26 PM.png

Note how the Canon foot sweeps forward while the rail on the RRS foot extends further back (behind the attachment to the collar). I know from experience that with a TC on the lens, that very back part of the foot needs to be at the back of the clamp to balance the lens on a gimbal (and balance is key for that application). With a flash mounted on the body, the back edge RRS foot needs to be within the clamp (i.e. the foot only occupies part of the clamp) for balance. The RRS setup is robust enough that that's fine. The point is that if the Canon foot had grooves, it still would not work in a common use case for the lens (extender with a 1-series body). Note that I have the MkII version of the 600/4, the MkIII seems to use the same foot design, but a 'feature' of the MkIII lenses is that the weight was moved further back in the lens to make them easier to handhold. That would actually make the problem of balancing on a gimbal worse!

And they don't show the lens focal distance for the current zoom position on the EVF while you're composing and taking shots (which is no problem with other brands).
My R3 shows the zoom focal length in the EVF while composing, it changes as I zoom (and I also have the option to show the focus distance enabled, which also updates 'live' during composition). My R8 has both of those options as well, they are menu options that need to be enabled.
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.24.52 PM.png
No idea if older Canon MILCs lack the capability, but certainly it's no problem with the Canon brand as far as my cameras are concerned.

It just looks to me like they might have a lot of engineers just out of college as major parts of the teams making crucial decisions without using all other makes of cameras & lenses to make sure they are making things at least as good as the competition in all possible areas.
It just looks to me like you want to complain. :p

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
Finally seen an Australia price for the RF100-300mm =
Camera Pro is AUD27000 => minus10% GST and current exchange rate => USD16500 (plus US tax)!
Business class tickets to US just to buy (when available off the shelf) and you would still be ahead
I am guessing that it is a typo or maybe they might get a sale.

But Digidirect is AUD17000 => USD10300 + tax
It pays to shop around!

• Wow
Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
If you bump it, sure it opens…and yes, I find that annoying. I know in my case, it’s usually because I carry it on a BlackRapid strap and it dangles with the hood bumping me. I suspect if I used the neck strap Canon provided (which remains unopened in the box) it wouldn’t be an issue.
Probably another debate at Canon – should we put a lock on it? But then some people would complain they couldn’t get it open fast enough.
Maybe not a lock but perhaps a more positive force (or a sliding lock so 2 directional force needed like the EX600 speedlite. It would increase the cost though. It is rare that most people would open the window open so perhaps making it harder to open would help most users.

The zoom on mine doesn’t creep at all. I don’t use the lock, there’s no need even with the 70-200 dangling. Since you suggest other manufacturers employ superior engineering, which of them has a zoom lock that can be applied at any focal length?
Mine doesn't creep as much as the old EF24-105mm/4 but it is certainly does extend sometimes. I would prefer the zoom lock ring to be much tighter than it is as it is easy to move the zoom length with the ring fully rotated with minimal effort.
This could be manufacturing copy variation as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I take a jacket with large zipped pockets that hold a couple of lenses while I'm checking in. Then after going through security I put them back in the carry on luggage. Most airlines have a scale to weigh luggage again at the boarding gate, but I do at least 60 flights a year and I've never seen anyone get their bag weighed at the gate. I suppose that if you appear obviously struggling with a really heavy case you might get checked, but almost everyone uses wheelie cases these days, so it's easy to disguise the weight.

SIXTY! o_O

Upvote 0