Jared Polin a7III Review comparing with 6D Mark II

Dec 17, 2013
Heck, I am still very pleased with my 6D "classic". It does what I need it to do, and fits well in my hand. I shoot manual exposure a lot, often with manual focus. Super-fine screen installed. I didn't see a compelling reason to upgrade yet, since my uses for this camera are low light, landscape, and macro. For all of these uses, the camera is often on a tripod, and most L-bracket designs seem to interfere with full screen mobility on my 60D (my starter DSLR camera). It would be nice to have L bracket compatibility with a flip screen, would make using Live view for ground-level macro shots (mushrooms, etc) a little easier. Tethering is a PITA in the field, not going to happen for hiking with photo gear.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Isaacheus said:
For what I shoot, the orignal 6d batteries last about the same on a single charge to my a7riii, but it's the usb charging that really makes the difference. Probably doesn't matter for most people, but it's huge for how I'm often shooting

Having to use your camera as a battery charger, or pay extra for a dedicated charger, is a good thing? Or is it that you often need to recharge your camera battery when you have no access to AC power?

USB charging is a good thing for me..... on canoe trips I USB charge my P/S camera...... but my poor Canon..... since they have kept the same LP-6 battery for so long, I can bring along 4 or 5 spares, so no need to recharge there.....

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
Isaacheus said:
For what I shoot, the orignal 6d batteries last about the same on a single charge to my a7riii, but it's the usb charging that really makes the difference. Probably doesn't matter for most people, but it's huge for how I'm often shooting

Having to use your camera as a battery charger, or pay extra for a dedicated charger, is a good thing? Or is it that you often need to recharge your camera battery when you have no access to AC power?

USB charging is a good thing for me..... on canoe trips I USB charge my P/S camera...... but my poor Canon..... since they have kept the same LP-6 battery for so long, I can bring along 4 or 5 spares, so no need to recharge there.....

I really like the compatibility of the lp6 batteries ugh the 6d and 5d models, and bringing extra batteries is usually fine (until you forget to charge the backups, which has happened once or twice). Adding USB charging to this would be perfect for the next release, just gives it more flexibility

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Isaacheus said:
I really like the compatibility of the lp6 batteries ugh the 6d and 5d models, and bringing extra batteries is usually fine (until you forget to charge the backups, which has happened once or twice). Adding USB charging to this would be perfect for the next release, just gives it more flexibility

Agree that there are times when USB charging would be nice but.......when I lighten the load for trekking, one DSLR, 2 or 3 lenses, and 4 spare batteries is way simple enough and usually got for up to 2 weeks away from recharging if I am careful.

Moving back to the original post, I have friends who shoot and love their Sony and produce excellent images but I'll stick with my Canon. Use the gear you like and develop your own skills with that gear and all will be well. Each product has strengths and weaknesses which does not make them good or bad, just different.

Many reviews and blogs, while they can be informative, seem to exist to attract viewers and hence generate more income. With this statement, I do not mean to offend some of our own, here. I actually am thankful for any vehicle that allows people with knowledge to discuss and review equipment. I really appreciate the fine comments of all and do appreciate hearing why some might like or dislike a particular piece of gear.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Bennymiata said:
If you need to charge your LPE6 batteries from a USB port, you can buy USB chargers that work fine.
I've got one that charges 2 LPE6's at the same time. It's a cheap Chinese one.

Once I lost my LC-E6 charger in Central Asia. Knowing I'd need to charge batteries before the end of my trip, I went shopping and found a "knock off" charger at a local shop. The good news is that it worked. The bad news is that the batteries got unusually hot during charging. When I got home, the replacement generic charger went away and I got a new OEM charger. I am sure that some generic chargers are fine but I did not want to risk a cooked battery, a fire or just shortened battery longevity. Be careful.

JPAZ

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Talys said:
jd7 said:
Well, Jared Polin's views notwithstanding, I just ordered a 6D mark II. Can't wait to get it!

Congrats! I think it's a fantastic camera. I love mine.

One thing that doesn't often get mentioned is that the 6DII is very good in post in low light. To the human eye, when it's unprocessed, the RAW noise not much different than any other. But when you put it in DPP default settings or use Lightroom at 25 - 50 noise correction for luminance/color, I find that the results are really, really pleasing.

For me, it's like every other Canon enthusiast camera -- very reliable, easy and comfortable to use, and doesn't get in the way of photography.

mover said:
The thing I will say is that flip out screen on the 6dII is so handy. I remember when I shot the sx20, still got it, but I thought wow this flip out screen comes in handy. Then I went to the 7D and 5DII and I still curse the things when I want to shoot reAl low or high.

I would have bought the 5D4 if a flip-out screen version of it had been made =X I think it is amazingly handy.
25-50 is really too much unless you mean 25 for luminance and 50 for color. Even with 25 in luminance you lose sharpness a little. OK you may tweek the sharpness settings but still. Having said that I use these settings too for my highest iso shots but I am comparing apples to oranges since I do not refer to shooting in the dark pictures but action ones. Also many report that 6DII files can be cleaned nicely in PP so yes you have a point. Could you please elaborate more about your noise handling settings by the way?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
tron said:
25-50 is really too much unless you mean 25 for luminance and 50 for color. Even with 25 in luminance you lose sharpness a little. OK you may tweek the sharpness settings but still. Having said that I use these settings too for my highest iso shots but I am comparing apples to oranges since I do not refer to shooting in the dark pictures but action ones. Also many report that 6DII files can be cleaned nicely in PP so yes you have a point. Could you please elaborate more about your noise handling settings by the way?

Right: generally, on midrange-ISO shots I like 25 luminance, 50 color, and recover a bit more sharpness with a tiny bit sharpening, because you can control the edges there. On ISO 400 and below, luminance will be between 0-20. Color is generally pretty non-destructive to detail, so it's just whatever looks good for the shot.

On photos that are higher ISO and have undesirable grain -- obviously depending on the subject -- up to 50 luminance, but that will appear obviously artificially sharpened. It happens with wildlife shots where there was no choice because of available light, and I where I don't have many photos of that bird or other animal.

But basically, there are photos I really care about and the infinite number of other ones. On the small number of photos I really care about, it's different for every photo (or set) anyhow. I start with color, get it where I want it, play with luminance sliders, and then finish with sharpness, often going back to luminance.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Talys said:
tron said:

Right: generally, on midrange-ISO shots I like 25 luminance, 50 color, and recover a bit more sharpness with a tiny bit sharpening, because you can control the edges there. On ISO 400 and below, luminance will be between 0-20. Color is generally pretty non-destructive to detail, so it's just whatever looks good for the shot.

On photos that are higher ISO and have undesirable grain -- obviously depending on the subject -- up to 50 luminance, but that will appear obviously artificially sharpened. It happens with wildlife shots where there was no choice because of available light, and I where I don't have many photos of that bird or other animal.

But basically, there are photos I really care about and the infinite number of other ones. On the small number of photos I really care about, it's different for every photo (or set) anyhow. I start with color, get it where I want it, play with luminance sliders, and then finish with sharpness, often going back to luminance.
OK, we agree more or less. I have 5D4 among others and it is superb at low light. I love it for night scenes, museums, churches interiors, even low light scenes with action. It is only for bird action where I use 5DsR and/or 7D2 that I have a need for rather strong noise reduction sometimes when the light is low. In these cases sometimes I use a 2-step denoising (by producing a raw .dng file as an intermediary) and continuing with ACR. But back to the topic, many have stated how well the 6DII files can be cleared from noise.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
When I first got the 6D2, I went out in front of the house at night and shot blooms on the bushes with just a little light spilling over from the front porch and maybe a bit from the street light a couple doors down. Everything was set on auto, and IS was turned on. The ISO turned out to be 40,000. The IS took care of shake. The color was surprisingly decent. And noise was easily toned down in ACR. It didn’t look like noontime on a sunny day, but it had an interesting look, and would be quite usable after moderate NR. I was much impressed.

Upvote 0