Just got 5D MK III. What do I check?

Skulker

PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
Aug 1, 2012
jollybdap said:
Hi everyone,

I just got a Canon 5D MK III in my hands. What should I check and look out for before the return period expires on me?

Thank you,
Eric

check you know how to use it, you know composition etc, then get out and enjoy. Don't bother looking for problems it'smuch more fun using them rather than looking to try and find a problem, you can catch trollitus infections.

Upvote 0
Skulker said:
jollybdap said:
Hi everyone,

I just got a Canon 5D MK III in my hands. What should I check and look out for before the return period expires on me?

Thank you,
Eric

check you know how to use it, you know composition etc, then get out and enjoy. Don't bother looking for problems it'smuch more fun using them rather than looking to try and find a problem, you can catch trollitus infections.

And read the manual. Especially the AF section. You'll probably end up re-reading it a couple of times a day for a week or two while you experiment with the AF modes & selections before it starts to become automatic.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Eric.
I think everyone else has covered the basics, beyond checking that it has improved your photography so you don't need to return it! ;)
You can find manuals for the camera on the canon sites, download it to your phone or better yet your table if you have one, that way you can search it for info you want and easily bookmark pages you will visit frequently.
It is possible to find most of, if not all, the manuals without the COPY watermark if you find it too distracting.
I have the manuals for my cameras on phone and tablet, I tend to grab my tablet during lunch and if the 3G signal is not reaching and I can't read the forum, I will revisit a manual and refresh myself on some of the less used functions.

Cheers Graham.

Drizzt321 said:
And read the manual. Especially the AF section. You'll probably end up re-reading it a couple of times a day for a week or two while you experiment with the AF modes & selections before it starts to become automatic.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2012
I would do a long exposure of a blue sky at f/11 and see if any dark spots show up. That would be a dirty sensor. While not something to return the camera back for but you could get a sensor wet cleaned before you get started on the journey.

jollybdap said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Eric

Upvote 0