Leaked photo of 5DIII/X to be 38MP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hehe thats the best rumor i've read all day
but i think he forgot to factor in the proximity of the moon to the earth and the effect that will have on the pixels.... :p

i'm still hoping the surrent 22mp 61 pt AF etc rumor is on the money

i wouldnt mind having a look at a high mp camera but i feel the 22mp rumor speced one will deliver a solid workhorse in any situation

Upvote 0
T

Tijn

Nice post he made there... I don't quite get it though. On my 60D, when I zoom all the way in on an image, the size of the crop indication is basically identical to that of the 5D-? photo as he recovered it. Obviously, the 60D is 18Mpx. And its screen is the 3-inch 720 x 480 LCD that he's using for his calculations.

See included great quality webcam image of my 60D lcd screen when fully zoomed in on an image, and compare... (The horizontal lines are just the curtain-type things I took a picture of to make this comparison)

faynoo.jpg
(reference)

Attachments

• 60Dzoomcrop.jpg
    60Dzoomcrop.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4,217
Upvote 0
If the calculations are right the camera on the photo might be not the 5D Mk II successor.

5D is one of the most popular cameras in the world for professionals and enthusiasts and being not more than 28 MPx makes it great all-around camera capable to deliver good image quality in different situations.

I don't think many people will like the idea of 5D Mk III using a 38 MPx sensor, because it makes the camera too "narrow" for everyone and leaves an empty gap in product line.

The fact that 5D is so popular makes sense to improve the current one instead of replacing it.

Upvote 0
S

SomeGuyInNewJersey

And I thought I was getting obsessed.

At this stage I dont care whether its 22mp, 45mp or 346mp... Higher mp is good for me and not great iso is bad for me too (for different types of pics), so higher iso performance and lower mp also good for me for certain circumstances.

At this stage I just want them to release one (or preferably both) of the new 5d type models so I can just buy one.

I want to upgrade to full frame and I want it to be one of the new ones not the 5d2... so for me at this stage I'll probably get whichever they release first. Either one would be great for me with pros and cons for both.

Ooops I only meant to type first line of this, guess the fact I kept going shows I AM obsessed.

By the way for those ready to pounce and slap me down with comments about the physics of 346mp due them being so super and me being so stupid... 346mp was a joke...

Of course if you want to call me stupid for other reasons... go right ahead :)

Upvote 0
torger said:
That calculation does not work, the navigation window is not scale-correct, at least not if I compare my 7D and 5Dmk2.

His math is working on the basis of assumption and a hypothesis. It may not be 100% scale correct, more of a guideline, but i'm sure whatever they do to this camera will make it a worthy successor and competitor to the D800. Also, 30MP to 38MP is not as big as a jump, perspective wise, as 6MP to 12MP, so even if it's 30MP, that may only be an inch and a half off when compared to full OOC resolution.

Upvote 0
Not sure where this clown came up with his 38MP number but I did a similar analysis of the lcd screen bird picture several weeks ago and came up with 100MP+ as I stated on another thread here:

Mooose said:
I've ascertained from the picture of the LCD display of the bird that this prototype camera has at least 100MP! This is based on the following assumptions:

1. the LCD has at least a pixel count of the 7D (921,600 pixels) and has approximate dimensions of 1174 x 785 pixels (3:2)
2. the professional Canon photographer is not a pixel peeper (he's not viewing at over 1:1)

My calculations are based on the small box showing that approximately 1/7th- 1/8th of image's narrow edge is being displayed which would put the resolution at least 12327 x 8218 or 101,303,286 total pixels.

:)

Upvote 0
R

RedEye

3 Cheers for 38MP! - Actually, nice job for subject originator, a fun way to investigate an otherwise unrevealing 'leak' photo.

I think as the end of the day, no body really cares how many pixels the new camera has. We are guaranteed that it will have more than the 5Dii and that no matter how many it has, it'll have a better image quality, ISO, ect. Hopefully they'll nix the AA filter as an option the way nikon did. Eitherway, fun for all.

Upvote 0
Tijn said:
Nice post he made there... I don't quite get it though. On my 60D, when I zoom all the way in on an image, the size of the crop indication is basically identical to that of the 5D-? photo as he recovered it. Obviously, the 60D is 18Mpx. And its screen is the 3-inch 720 x 480 LCD that he's using for his calculations.

You need to remember to take into account a full size sensor versus a crop sensor. The same size minimum zoom indicator box (for lack of a better term) implies 1.6^2 or 2.56 times as many pixels for a FF camera vs. a crop. If the box was truly the same size as the 60D, that would imply the camera to be about 46Mpixels.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.