Lens Fungus - Advice Needed

Is weathersealing (what ever that means) actually making the fungus problem worse in our lenses? Would a lens that has less weathersealing, while more prone to water and dust damage, be less prone to fungus and vice versa?

Just from a completely unscientific observation, I have lenses 30-40 years old that have not exactly been kept in sterile containers and none of them have fungus. They may have dust though.

Is there a coorelation between "weathersealing" and fungus?

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
AcutancePhotography said:
Is there a coorelation between "weathersealing" and fungus?

Probably yes, as already stated above and experienced by people who managed to get water inside their "sealed" lens it takes much longer to get it out again. If conditions are unfortunate (i.e. high humidity and temperature) you can probably create a small fungus paradise inside an L lens. If you leave it there for a few millenia, who knows what will end up inside :->

simpsons_kang_kodos.jpg

Upvote 0
A while back tried to sell my daughters 450d and kit lens to a uk shop ( daughter inherited my much loved 550D and 15-85 combo, after I upgraded to a 5D3) the shop examined the lens, said it had traces of fungus, so where not interested in the lens or body (the spores easily spread between lens, camera, and any other lens used. Glad I never let her use any of my new lenses. The kit that she bought second hand at university was a Kiss version of the 450d, so probably originated from a humid climate, lens was dumped, body sold with a lens I wanted rid of to another uk retailer for near on peanuts.

Upvote 0
alben said:
(the spores easily spread between lens, camera, and any other lens used.

Is that really true?

Do we really have to practice "safe photography" and establish a monogmous relationships with our cameras/lenses? :)

Is this the time for my Kickstarter for camera condoms? ;D

I can see it now.

"Folks, you love your 135mm L lens. The problem is that many people may have loved that same lens. Protect yourself and your camera with Accutance's KameraKondoms"

I will make millions!!! ;D

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
alben said:
the spores easily spread between lens, camera, and any other lens used.

This is strange, but it might depend on the kind of fungus? Spores are all around us, as are bacteria. It's just that under everyday conditions, they don't spread beyond the normal measure. I find it hard to imagine some spores inside a lens are a danger to the whole electronics household.

Hey, I am eatin lunch here!!!

Speaking of eating: Did you know about 100 different strains of bacteria live in your mouth right now :-> ?

monsters2.jpg

Upvote 0
The high air humidity during a short trip, will not bring create fungi on your lenses. Moreover, the high air humidity for 300 days a year will be a perfect nursery for the fungus. ::)

All preventive measures that I know, has any side effects over the years: ???

1- Keep lenses in container with dessicant, will dry out the internal lubricants of lens.

2- Keep lenses in container a little warmer than the outside, will mean temperatures above 30 degrees Celcius (in my city) and lubricants will dry out, and the rubber parts too. :-X

3. Expose the lens monthly to UV light "C", seems harmless to the lenses, but my skin and eyes can be over the years. :(

4- Exposing lens to the sun puts a few minutes (no covers or lens hood) is extremely dangerous overheating.

I use the options 2 and 4, in moderation. 8) May God protect me. :-\

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
But have you seen those pop-up ads for the toe nail fungus???gross

Nope, haven't seen a browser ad in years, and a tv ad since I gave a away my set 15 years ago :)

ajfotofilmagem said:
Moreover, the high air humidity for 300 days a year will be a perfect nursery for the fungus. ::)

Where do you live - Florida? Tropical rainforest? If so, I sympathize - but living in moderate climate western Europe, I really cannot imagine this being a problem to a broader public... or am I mistaken?

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Moreover, the high air humidity for 300 days a year will be a perfect nursery for the fungus. ::)

Where do you live - Florida? Tropical rainforest? If so, I sympathize - but living in moderate climate western Europe, I really cannot imagine this being a problem to a broader public... or am I mistaken?
I live in Brazil.
Not in the forest but in a seaside town where it rains (at least a few minutes) 200 days a year, where temperature is always above 25 degrees Celcius. :eek:

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
mnclayshooter said:
This is a post not about how to rid yourself of existing lens fungus, but more about why we still have the problem of lens fungus.

With all of the advancements in anti-microbial materials and technology developed to maintain interior environments, why can't we (collectively) come up with some kind of insert that can go inside the body of the lens and outgas an anti-fungal or fungus-averse gas or otherwise make the interior of the lens body unfavorable for microbial development/colonization? It seems like it should be possible - we have drop-in filters for some lenses, a very similar cartridge-type system could be employed, if the material was a consumable... otherwise things like Ag+ (silver ion) are commonly used in modern sports apparel/equipment to help mitigate some of the body odors caused by microbes. Seems like it shouldn't be a big brainstorm/leap to incorporate similar technology into the lens body.

The issue is that the lens body "breathes"... therefore you cannot realistically keep out both the spores and the food source/water that they need to continue propagation... at least not without significant filtering at the "breathing" points of the lens.

Anyone out there with sound scientific reasoning why an antimicrobial treatment wouldn't work?

Try a kick starter project to develop your idea.

The issue is that probably 1 lens in 10,000 has issues with fungus, so the cost might be out of proportion to the problem.

Upvote 0
LOL... Maybe get some kind of anti-fungus humidifier additive. You know, sort of like spraying Lysol inside the lens but cleaner and more micronized. I'm not endorsing doing it, I'm just thinking out loud... ???

It wouldn't remove the fungus already there but it might stop it from getting worse or prevent the fungus from growing in all the other 'infected' lenses you shared with that promiscuous camera that's making the rounds on all your unsuspecting lenses! ;D

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Mt Spokane Photography said:
mnclayshooter said:
This is a post not about how to rid yourself of existing lens fungus, but more about why we still have the problem of lens fungus.

With all of the advancements in anti-microbial materials and technology developed to maintain interior environments, why can't we (collectively) come up with some kind of insert that can go inside the body of the lens and outgas an anti-fungal or fungus-averse gas or otherwise make the interior of the lens body unfavorable for microbial development/colonization? It seems like it should be possible - we have drop-in filters for some lenses, a very similar cartridge-type system could be employed, if the material was a consumable... otherwise things like Ag+ (silver ion) are commonly used in modern sports apparel/equipment to help mitigate some of the body odors caused by microbes. Seems like it shouldn't be a big brainstorm/leap to incorporate similar technology into the lens body.

The issue is that the lens body "breathes"... therefore you cannot realistically keep out both the spores and the food source/water that they need to continue propagation... at least not without significant filtering at the "breathing" points of the lens.

Anyone out there with sound scientific reasoning why an antimicrobial treatment wouldn't work?

Try a kick starter project to develop your idea.

The issue is that probably 1 lens in 10,000 has issues with fungus, so the cost might be out of proportion to the problem.

As a kickstarter, it does sound intriguing... and you're right, the quantifiable "need" might not be there. But I still have the question - for the thousands of dollars of investment in lenses most serious photographers have... it seems that a buck or two-worth of an antimicrobial liner film or some such thing might be yet another "thing" that canon could sell to us. hahahah I can't believe I just wrote that.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
AlanF said:
dolina said:
Have it clean then sell it. It will never be optically the same ever again.
Absolutely wonderful for the poor sucker who gets caught buying it. The fungus will come back.
+1 for that, I already mentioned it above. But it seems to be common practice to sell snake oil, probably the reason why so many people want to have f2f business like craiglist.

car_salesman_sleezy.bmp

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
dolina said:
Have it clean then sell it. It will never be optically the same ever again.

Absolutely wonderful for the poor sucker who gets caught buying it. The fungus will come back.
As the seller price it appropriately and make a disclosure.

As the buyer ask questions and thoroughly test before agreeing on the purchase.

Anyone buying used should never expect brand new condition.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
thelebaron said:
why exactly is lens fungus so hard to get rid of?

1. It can get into inaccessible places inside a lens. It can and usually does etch the glass surface, so if its gone that far, the lens element needs replacing. That's usually not a big cost, but for a lens worth $300 or so in good condition, it might not be worth chasing after it throwing $100 bills at it.

Upvote 0
thanks everyone for the generous response. I am not planning to sell the lens to individual buyers as I don't want them to suffer :) . I assumed that the big companies like BH, Amazon and all will do some level of clean and check before putting it in the used gear market.
I spoke to someone at adorama and told about the fungus. they are glad to take a look. I did not think it was in such a bad state yet. With macro lens, for me its a heavily used lens in summer and stay in the shelf during winter. I will have to find ways to use it like my other lenses.
if I get something in return, I will gladly invest it in the L lens and try to follow the advice I got. If they also say its bad,
then I am not going to attempt to sell it again

thanks again

Upvote 0