Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R1 development [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It’s no secret that Canon is developing an EOS-1D X Mark III level EOS R camera. We are calling it the EOS R1 until we’re told otherwise.
I have been told that this camera won’t simply be a mirrorless version of the EOS-1D X Mark III, but will be an “upgrade”.
Here are a few things I have been told by a good source, keep in mind that this far out from a product announcement, things can change.

An all-new image sensor with a global shutter
A “groundbreaking” new AF system, above the EOS R5/EOS R6
The fastest framerate for a stills camera ever from Canon
The second half of 2021 announcement

We’ve already seen mention of a full-frame sensor development with a global shutter, and this confirms that to some...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
It'll be faster than the 20fps in the 1DX Mark III. So somewhere between 30-60 probably? Sports shooters will essentially be taking videos and they'll just pull the frames out that they like for still images. No need to worry about a shutter breaking down. You can just hold the shutter button until you run out of memory lol. Also, wouldn't DR be worse with a global shutter than with a mechanical or rolling shutter?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Welp, sure looks like next year all of my EF glass and bodies are getting sold.

I thought this year was bad enough between the R5 and my RF glass, but with the R1 and all the new RF lenses, 2021 is going to be *expensive.*

Hopefully Sigma will be coming to the rescue at some point.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
It'll be faster than the 20fps in the 1DX Mark III. So somewhere between 30-60 probably? Sports shooters will essentially be taking videos and they'll just pull the frames out that they like for still images. No need to worry about a shutter breaking down. You can just hold the shutter button until you run out of memory lol. Also, wouldn't DR be worse with a global shutter than with a mechanical or rolling shutter?
DR won’t be worse really but iso usually gets hurt. It will be interesting to see how this works. If they pull off good iso with a global shutter this could replace most low end cinema cameras. It will be interesting to see how they cripple this to protect other cameras. If they do 120fps around 4K with a global shutter you will see a lot of sad cinema camera owners, if they pull a 1dc and have no record limit with a global shutter and stellar iso performance above 12800 iso with 12 stops of DR all I can say is take my money

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0