Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R1 development [CR2]

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Canon is doomed unless this does unlimited 8k 120p RAW with 10 stops IBIS and 16-bit DR
Surely it also needs to be pocket-sized and cost under $/£1000

Actually quite excited about the whole thing (and a little irritated... but I do love the 1DX3)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
OK, so my first SLR... the T70 (the first T-Series Canon), followed by the T90 (the most advanced FD-mount camera).
Then... the EOS 620 (the second EOS camera), followed by the EOS 3 (the most advanced EOS film camera).
Then... the D30 (the first DSLR), followed (eventually) by the 1DX3 (the most advanced and EF camera).
I seem to have already missed the boat for the EOS R-Series, but perhaps jumping in on the R1... hmmmmmm!

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
The Olympics is near the end of July. One can expect to see the device being used and or tested at that time.
That would make sense, together with the big whites announced a few days ago, the Olympics are of course subject to pandemic but if they go ahead July 2021 Canon can't miss the opportunity to show the R system as a full-fledged sport-oriented system, something they could not have done had the games gone ahead in 2020 as scheduled. All hands on deck I guess.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
That would make sense, together with the big whites announced a few days ago, the Olympics are of course subject to pandemic but if they go ahead July 2021 Canon can't miss the opportunity to show the R system as a full-fledged sport-oriented system, something they could not have done had the games gone ahead in 2020 as scheduled. All hands on deck I guess.

As I said in the previous thread, no one should forget that the 2022 winter Olympics are coming in only 15 months. Why not have the R1 ready for those instead of scrambling to make the summer 2021 rescheduled pandemic games?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
As I said in the previous thread, no one should forget that the 2022 winter Olympics are coming in only 15 months. Why not have the R1 ready for those instead of scrambling to make the summer 2021 rescheduled pandemic games?
Because (I live in South Texas) 70% of the planet has never seen snow or ice, and are pretty clueless about the various sports being showcased at winter olympics (their loss, I agree, I grew up on skis in Switzerland). Summer Olympics are much more popular. I found this online: "The 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, Canada, were watched by 3.5 million people worldwide. The most recent summer games, held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, drew in an audience of 3.6 billion viewers."

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My guess is minimum specs as R5 but in 1D body ( AF-On smart controller buttons, dual CFe slots) with:
- Global shutter (no mechanical shutter). Rolling shutter artifactys significantly better than current electronic shutter
- 45mp sensor with IBIS (IBIS can be turned off)
- 30fps electronic shutter burst with full tracking - perhaps with buffer ie not unlimited
- ~20mp on-the fly over sampled (no lossy compression/S-RAW) at full 30fps unlimited buffer. Best of both worlds.
- Dual Digic X to spread the heat generation and generate less heat per CPU
- Unlimited 8k cinema raw lite internal recording
- 6K/60. 4k/120 unlimited no crop internal recording.
- No line skipping/pixel binning 4k/6k modes
- 29:59 recording limit :cool:
- Clog3
- minimum 16fps using anti-flicker depending on frequency of the flicker lighting
- AF in very low light (quad pixel makes sense but would be equivalent to a 180mp sensor!)
- pixel shift high res stills
- 9+ megadot EFV with no blackout and fast refresh rates (at lease 120fps). >0.5" in size
- full sized HDMI 2.1 port (48G) or thunderbolt 3 USB-C or both
- Mini XLR audio option
- Ethernet port
- Flippy screen included. Won't be great for portrait recording but still needed I think. Weather sealing will need to be excellent though

This merges the 1D/R5 features with global shutter possibilities. Main differences are electronic processing/firmware and sensor. The 1D has always had excellent video capabilities and I would expect it to be similar for the R1

USD10k

Won't directly compete with cinema line due to form factor but there will be a similar specced cinema form factor with unlimited 8k raw option, heaps of buttons and vented/fan cooled. Cxxx option will be more expensive.

Upvote 0
Because (I live in South Texas) 70% of the planet has never seen snow or ice, and are pretty clueless about the various sports being showcased at winter olympics (their loss, I agree, I grew up on skis in Switzerland). Summer Olympics are much more popular. I found this online: "The 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, Canada, were watched by 3.5 million people worldwide. The most recent summer games, held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, drew in an audience of 3.6 billion viewers."
I can't imagine that only 3.5m people watched the winter olympics... maybe 3.5m within the US?
Won't be ready for the winter olympics as you can't see the big whites against the snow :)

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Hopefully Sigma will be coming to the rescue at some point.

As a wildlife shooter I've always been tempted by the Sigma 150-600 as well as the Tamron 150-600, but the image quality out of those lenses always leaves me wanting and I end up sticking with Canon's 100-400L II.

I know the guys that shoot the shorter glass get great results from the Sigma Art lenses. I wish Sigma would come up wit a 50-600 Art lens for the guys that are will to pay a little more for a really nice quality third party lens.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Frankly, I am annoyed that I can't reassign my "rate" button on my R5! I never rate my shots (YMMV) but it would be very useful in my underwater housing

But you CAN assign other buttons to do rating as well, in case you suddenly decide you need rating, and want to make up for lost time.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I wish Sigma would come up wit a 50-600 Art lens for the guys that are will to pay a little more for a really nice quality third party lens.
Well, there's the Sigma 60-600 mm Sports lens that is a bit better quality than the others you named from what I know. I suspect eventually, they'll do a follow up for mirrorless bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

According to USA Today and Variety, respectively, US Summer 2016 Olympics viewership, across all platforms, was 27.5 million, and for the Winter 2018 Olympics, 17.8 million. That's a difference of about 35%, which is far less than the factor of 1000 that your numbers claim.

Having now researched Olympics viewership, I'm even more convinced that Canon would do well to showcase the R1 at the Winter 2022 Olympics.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0