Let's see some great shots taken with old, cheap gear!

One of my first forays into the world of manual mode shooting
I like to think of it as a beer or rum wagon, but it was probably a milk wagon or something equally as tame

Rebel XTI (I think it was called a "Kiss" overseas)
EFs 60mm macro

Attachments

• IMG_0055 2000 wide.jpg
    IMG_0055 2000 wide.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Bronica ETRSI 6x4.5 medium format, 70mm F2.8 and 40mm F4 scanned with Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED. Cant remember the film but it was a nice warm contrasty film at 100ISO.

Absolutely love this bad boy! This is the camera I used to learn during my Fine Art Photography degree at University. Nothing comes close to the quality not even my 5DMKIII.

I won Illford technical photographer of the year 2010 with the shot of the mannequin below.

Mannequin, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

Calculator, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

Sowing machine, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

This work was my final year project, this was my artist statement:

This work is based upon the documentation of one of the oldest family business in the UK, N. Arnison & Sons. Established in 1742 is becoming one of the few independently run family business, selling high quality goods and servicing the local community. The building itself being a historic monument in its own right, is abundant with history. It was primarily built as a residence by a wealthy family called the Cookson's, who were the grand parents of the famous Lakeland poet William Wordsworth. Although the work is about the preservation of the business, the work is personal as it has been the backbone to my family history for 8 generations.

The work is not based in the everyday areas of the shop as I have focused in on the areas which are out of public view. This space is abandoned and has been left in a degrading time frame since it has been absent from its residence. The rooms which were once maid and workrooms are now laid bare to occupy the discarded paraphernalia and remnants of people who lived and worked there. This relationship between the objects, people and history increases its importance of the environment. Why the objects are there, the remnants of peoples belongings and existence, an age gone by but preserved in this degrading time frame encapsulated through the space directly relating to the family history.

The objects are by no way extraordinary, but the mannequins are void of the space they occupy. The mannequins remain inanimate to the space, yet still relate to it through the way they are arranged . This arrangement produces a surreal and uncanny atmosphere. It could almost be a scene from the holocaust but the faces tell a different story, more a story of hope. The photographs have given these objects a new lease of life through the documentation, that the space, objects and people wont be forgotten when the business ceases to exist.

Few others from the same series with a 40D and 17-85mm so I suppose also old and cheap gear, at the time was the best I could afford digitally.

Few more here if your interested

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDy1ohi

Upvote 0
The camera is old and cheap now: Canon 1D (MK I)- easy to find these for about $300 or less (mine is a well cared for survivor). The lens is not old or "cheap": Canon 100L Macro.

Pretty good for 4.2mp :) Yeah, focus isn't on the eyes of the bee. Operator error.

This is pretty much straight out of the camera. I have noticed that the 1D files respond very well to a little bit of sharpening, at least with Canon's DPP. The 1D RAW files are not coded correctly, so 3rd party software will not recognize them unless you change the file extension, and then the RAW files are not read by DPP...

I could dig out some pictures taken with a Power Shot G2 that I purchased new for like $800 at the time- certainly not cheap then. I still have it. The 1D was like 10X that back then, and less than 1/2 of that today...

Attachments

• 145H3336.JPG
    145H3336.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 1,117
Upvote 0
tayassu said:
As my 7D is in the "hospital" at the Moment, I got my very first camera out of retirement: the PowerShot A520... worse ISO Performance at ISO400 than my 7D @ISO12800, but who cares? Love this thing, has got ISO50 and an OVF!! :D
#vintageselfie ;)

I had a Canon PowerShot A590 IS that I loved. Unfortunately it had a lens centering defect that was apparent in the middle of the zoom range. No matter, here's a panorama of Porto de Luanda I made from the top floor of Hotel Presidente, Luanda, Angola. The A590 IS was perfect for this business trip because I didn't dare take my DSLR over there... The a590 IS was very practical and it was the smallest and cheapest *real* camera that I have owned. In fact I may at some point try to find a good copy for nostalgia sake (and it's still a really great little camera with great controls and fantastic color reproduction).

Attachments

• 2009-12-17_Pano1.jpg
    2009-12-17_Pano1.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 313
  • a590is.jpg
    a590is.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,039
Upvote 0
I shot this with a Mamiya /sekor SX 135mm f2.8 on a Canon t3i. I found the lens at the bottom of a big box of used photographic gear, which the camera store was practically was giving away because most of it was mostly broken.

I can only shoot it wide open, but it's tack sharp and I really like the colours and bokeh.

10668813_10204139043509421_7778589560040224451_o.jpg

Upvote 0

TMSCanon

Canon Enthusiast!
Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA
To: "mrsfotografie" & "tayassu"
You've inspired me to share my image of Black Beach in San Diego. I like this image so much that I printed it and have it hanging in my house. It constantly amazes me that I took it with a Canon SD600, even now that I have much more advanced equipment.

Attachments

• SD600.jpg
    SD600.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 828
  • Blacks Beach.jpg
    Blacks Beach.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 267
Upvote 0
TMSCanon said:
You've inspired me to share my image of Black Beach in San Diego. I like this image so much that I printed it and have it hanging in my house. It constantly amazes me that I took it with a Canon SD600, even now that I have much more advanced equipment.

That is a very nice shot and it shows the great color reproduction and tonal qualities that Canon Powershots can be capable of. Thanks for sharing :)

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
TMSCanon said:

That is a very nice shot and it shows the great color reproduction and tonal qualities that Canon Powershots can be capable of. Thanks for sharing :)
+1 :)

Upvote 0