Lexar announces the world’s first 1TB SD card

It'll be a long time before I ever need 1TB capacity for shooting photos...or can even afford this card...

...but like others have mentioned, this would be a fantastic portable backup. Can't wait until they hit 2TB or 4TB!!

Right now, I carry a 2TB drive with me wherever I go (long story). Being able to carry just a couple of SD cards in my wallet instead would be simply splendid.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It'll be a long time before I ever need 1TB capacity for shooting photos...or can even afford this card...

...but like others have mentioned, this would be a fantastic portable backup. Can't wait until they hit 2TB or 4TB!!

Right now, I carry a 2TB drive with me wherever I go (long story). Being able to carry just a couple of SD cards in my wallet instead would be simply splendid.
What kind of case do you use to protect them from breaking when in your wallet?

Upvote 0
The write speed on other lexar 633x cards varies from 10MB/ Sec to 45 MB/ Sec, I prefer usb3 flash drives for off device storage esp the faster ones like the newer usb 3.1 ones which write at 150-380MB/ Sec.

I have wondered why usb flash cards could not e used as on camera storage in place of dedicated internal cards or as a second card option.

Upvote 0
I would never use a 1TB card but... what about storage for 8K video files in-camera?
Dual slots for security
Cards were kept in the camera to minimise damage and reformatted after transfer to PC and backup

8K files are minimum 50mps (compressed) as per recent articles about streaming 8k video
Uncompressed 8K is a different beast with 100gb ethernet probably being needed and 1TB = ~37 minutes of recording time

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
This card does solve the problem of having the change cards 'in the field' (my one objection to SD cards - I am less likely to drop a CF card when my fingers are cold). No need to bother changing cards - that would be hard to fill in one day (download at night).

I hope they prove reliable.
You'd definitely need a dual card camera in that case as a backup. I still can't see anyone filling up a 1TB, even in a day - unless they're shooting constantly in burst mode. The prospect of sorting through 1TB of photo files does seem very daunting though. Looks like it's going to cost $399.99.
https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/breaking-new-records-lexar-announces-worlds-first-1tb-sd-card/

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I just got mself a 128 g card, takes about 4000 CRaw images on the R. this is my biggest card ever...I still also use a couple of 32 g cards. On a busy European holiday I filled one 32 G card per day...touch wood I've never had a card fail on me...but I can imagine two 1TB cards in a dual slot camera....one can do A 3 week holiday without bothering to download or take laptops etc etc with...
How can you possibly fill a 32 gigabyte card let alone one a day?
I recently took a week long vacation to some incredible places and took about 180 photos total.
I can't comprehend there are that many unique and interesting photos in a day worth taking.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
How can you possibly fill a 32 gigabyte card let alone one a day?
I recently took a week long vacation to some incredible places and took about 180 photos total.
I can't comprehend there are that many unique and interesting photos in a day worth taking.
You need a kitten and to discover video :)

Upvote 0