Limited Edition PowerShot Cameras Coming

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Zv said:
...The prob is that Japanese companies are very slow when it comes to change. I work for one and can tell you they spend most of the time filing paperwork. Nothing gets done. Not much progress due to the fact that they don't change they're system of working. It's prob the same boss whose been making the decisions for the last 35 years. They need new thinking and new blood. But its impossible for young engineers to move up in the company. Seniority rules as does old style of thinking. And then there's the stagnant economy...

Yeah...those Japanese companies just don't know how to innovate. That's probably why nobody buys cars, cameras, electronics or anything else from Japanese companies. I guess they would be better off if they turned over all their decision making to a bunch of pissant engineers.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:
What's that thing sitting next to the G-16? It looks like a lens.

Looks like the Canon TC-DC58E. Canon makes wide and tele converters for the G series (an adapter is also needed).

Thanks. I thought it might be some sort of wide or tele converter. I'm guessing it must be packaged with the special edition G-16.

Now if they just would make a Jackie Chan special edition G-16. http://www.itechnews.net/2010/04/26/canon-eos-550d-dslr-jackie-chan-edition/ and maybe a mouse calculator.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Zv said:
Who knows in 5 years we might be shooting Samsung DSLRs.
What? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
that is SACRILEGE[/b] ... please do not joke about such things ;D

@ Rienzphotoz,
Would you buy SamsungTV 3-5yrs ago? I wonder where Samsung stands today in term of LED/LCD/LOD TV ::)
My first Samsung TV (CRT) was bought in 1999 and it still works (Samsung TV's have been very popular since the late 90's in India as they performed just as good as a Sony but much cheaper ... we gave it away 2 years ago coz no one was willing to buy it even for a $2) ... the second Samsung TV was an LCD bought in 2008 and I have hated every single day of its existence (bad experience - bad customer service ... long story) ... since then I have switched to LG TV's ... but I do currently use a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (but its "13 megapixel" camera sucks ... the 8 MP camera on my wife's iPhone 5S out performs the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in any given condition) ... my wife also uses a pink colored Samsung Laptop and a pink colored Samsung Point & Shoot camera (performance of both, are kinda 5h!tty) so my confidence in a Samsung camera (let alone a DSLR) isn't all that high ;)
But if eventually Samsung comes up with a DSLR that can outperform a Canon or a Nikon FF DSLR and if I can afford it, I may buy it.

Upvote 0

TeenTog

Fear no man, for he bleeds just like you.
Jun 26, 2012
Palatine, Il
www.teentog.com
Yes, this is what I expect from Canon. Some useless items in between some perfect ones such as the 5D3, 24-70 II, 17 TSE, the great whites, etc.

If you take off your doomsday glasses and look at the financials of Canon and Sony, probably you'll be surprised that it is Sony that seems to be more likely than Canon to go under. They make more money on life-insurance than their electronics division, actually they don't make any money on their electronics division at all./quote]

+1 I actually think it's a cool idea. Some manufacturers create classy looking cameras, that also have excellent IQ and performance, but are pretty expensive. These days, kids my age are all into this whole classy hipster photographer thing, but don't want to plop down cash on an "ugly" DSLR or an 1K+ FF or large sensor classy camera. These collectible, non-mainstream different-colored camera definitely fills a niche, albeit a small one, that no other prominent manufacturer has yet to fill.

Also- please don't start on the whole "canon should be spending money and time on upgrading pro equipment, not Powershot cameras!" First off, they are two completely separate departments, and second, canon has other customers than you

Upvote 0
I have to agree with the many posters on here lamenting this announcement. Yes, Canon has some great products and we want to see more of them. But nobody wants to see blinged-up point and shoots.

And yes, it is doubly embarrassing for Canon that this comes while Sony is releasing a new full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that will doubtless sell very well.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Zv said:
...The prob is that Japanese companies are very slow when it comes to change. I work for one and can tell you they spend most of the time filing paperwork. Nothing gets done. Not much progress due to the fact that they don't change they're system of working. It's prob the same boss whose been making the decisions for the last 35 years. They need new thinking and new blood. But its impossible for young engineers to move up in the company. Seniority rules as does old style of thinking. And then there's the stagnant economy...

Yeah...those Japanese companies just don't know how to innovate. That's probably why nobody buys cars, cameras, electronics or anything else from Japanese companies. I guess they would be better off if they turned over all their decision making to a bunch of pissant engineers.

Cars? Italian, British and German cars are pretty well built too and more appealing. Electronics? LG and Samsung are catching up fast. South Korea is advancing at a rapid pace. Japan is no longer the world leader in these respects. They just do alright. How long before Samsung make a decent camera? Is it really that improbable?

Companies like Sigma give me hope though and I hope the pressure they're putting on Canon sales creates a new way of thinking and competition in the photographic dept.

Upvote 0
For a limited edition, the prices seem pretty reasonable. I personally think the G16 with the gold ring and dial look pretty cool. I would probably get this version if I was in the market for one, but I am happy with the (299 deal) EOS M white with pancake for my point and shoot. And yes, one of the reasons I jumped on that special was because it was available in the white version. (And as for the other technology analogies mentioned, believe or not I do not own a cell phone or a television).

Upvote 0
My 2c are on Canon knowing there are enough people who want to own those P&S to make the edition profitable. As it has zero R&D cost, I say good for Canon.

And I agree Canon MILCs are not as impressive as Sony's.

TimC said:
I have to agree with the many posters on here lamenting this announcement. Yes, Canon has some great products and we want to see more of them. But nobody wants to see blinged-up point and shoots.

And yes, it is doubly embarrassing for Canon that this comes while Sony is releasing a new full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that will doubtless sell very well.

Upvote 0