Lower end EOS R body to omit the touch bar

'Value' is a personal thing.
You could spin it around and say the R gives you 5D4 image quality at 50% less cost (comparing on RRP at launch)
I notice that the price of the 6D2 has dropped considerably since the R arrived, but the price at launch was not that dissimilar.
But we live in today and the R wasn't available at the 6DII's launch. So my statement still stands...the Eos R is expensive compared to a 6DII...for little real world photographic benefits. The fact that it's currently priced matched to the vastly more capable 5D4 says volumes. If the Eos R was more feature and UI matched to the 5D4 then I would be more persuaded. But today in today's market with my current equipment needs....I'll pass until Canon launch something more worthy. I find it ironic and most of the R mount lenses are pro orientated but the only body so far released is the weakest part of the system.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Canon is in the game. Canon is still #1... by a wide margin.
Fiddle while it burns! Fanboy, the "game" is innovation and product development. Canon's CEO has publicly confessed that his company has fallen behind in both. The entire industry is moving to FF mirrorless and Sony dominates. A legacy ecosystem will only carry Canon so far. Whether ISO, AF, Dynamic range, frame rate, or 4k, Canon is behind.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The entire industry is moving to FF mirrorless and Sony dominates.
Yes, more companies are offering FF mirrorless now...but APS-C ILCs still massively outsell FF models, and given the cost differential that’s not going to change anytime soon. Even so, Canon still sells more full frame cameras then Sony.

Whether ISO, AF, Dynamic range, frame rate, or 4k, Canon is behind.
Yeah, they’re only ahead in sales, where they are crushing the competition. Sorry that you’re having such trouble grasping basic facts and reality.

Troll on, bub!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Fiddle while it burns! Fanboy, the "game" is innovation and product development. Canon's CEO has publicly confessed that his company has fallen behind in both. The entire industry is moving to FF mirrorless and Sony dominates. A legacy ecosystem will only carry Canon so far. Whether ISO, AF, Dynamic range, frame rate, or 4k, Canon is behind.

1. Why Sony fanboys love coming here...?
2. Sony no longer dominates in FF mirrorless, which isn't such a big bragging right considering Sony was the only FF mirrorless manufacturer until a couple of months ago.
3. 4k? Not a big deal for me. No video at all would be fine with me.
4. ISO, Dynamic Range, frame rate... I had no idea Canon lags. I must be a happy customer.

What we seem to miss is the fact that the spec sheet doesn't tell the whole story. Canon will be fine. Sony... not so sure. With Canon, Nikon, and others entering the FF mirrorless market, Sony is going to be in serious trouble. Of course 14% market share never was too solid anyway.

Upvote 0
I really don't understand the move to release an entry level R camera now, where you can only buy high end lenses for it. If someone was interested in buying into the new system via an entry level camera, he probably would want to use entry level priced lenses to come with it. Since this is not in the portfolio of canon right now in the R line, this really doesn't make sense for me. Who might be the target audience for it? Who will buy an entry level camera with a 50 F1.2 or a 28-70 F2? Looking at the prices right now, 3600 Euros for a body, kit lens and adapter isn't cheap. On the same page, comparing the features of the EOS-R with other cameras in the mirrorless market and with DSLRs: What could entry mean in this case as this more or less entry already? Really puzzled about this.

I don't know, but people get hung up on "entry" level terminology and equate that to something that doesn't work properly. Canon is the lens leader so it makes sense to push that. So an "entry" level camera with a world class lens along with a good sensor is going to take world class images. Right now mirrorless is not for me, but if I were an event photographer an R with the f2 zoom would be tempting, or their new 50mm prime.

Upvote 0
After several weeks and a proper customization, I came to the conclusion the Touch Bar is a great feature. I think my productivity and ability to control the camera has improved significantly.
Considering the huge gap between initial reviews from "experts" and actual feedback from real users, I came to the conclusion to exclude them from my sources of regular product updates. Stefano

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I'm no fan of the touch bar, but I don't bother too much - I simply disabled it.

What does bother me though is the size of the body and grip.
It is too small for my taste, and both control wheels aren't naturally
under thumb and index finger like they used to with the 5D MkIV.
The grip and handling experience of the 5D MkIV is unparalleled
until today, and in darker environments I had a hard time seeing
what the top display shows - it is too small.

The R is very a fine camera, but unfortunately with crappy ergonomics.

I'd opt for more direct access buttons any day.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It is too small for my taste...
That applies to most (all?) MILCs – for some, the small size is an advantage (I like being able to literally tuck my ‘travel backup’ EOS M6 + M11-22 in it’s Dashpoint 30 case inside a bag in the space above the lens mounted on the 1D X). For others, it’s an ergonomic challenge. I suspect the challenge will be worse with larger/heavier L lenses – I can hold my 1D X + 70-200/2.8 all day, but doing so with a non-gripped body resulted in a sore hand, and with something like the EOS R that would be even worse.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
Yeah, they’re only ahead in sales, where they are crushing the competition. Sorry that you’re having such trouble grasping basic facts and reality.

Troll on, bub!

Blah blah blah..... i am sure canon shareholders are happy about that. Not that photographers should care.
I am sure Hasselblad owners would agree. The marketshare of a camera brand does not mean much for me.

Fact is that he is correct. When it comes to AF Tracking, 4K, DR, FPS the EOS R is lacking compared to other FF mirrorless cameras.

Upvote 0
'...the Eos R is expensive compared to a 6DII'

Personally I think the R is way more camera than the 6D2...the Af imo is much more accurate and works with all my lenses and some that would only work with the centre AF point on the 6D2 and here I'm talking about the Tamron 35m F1.8 and the 100mm non L Canon macro. I thought the 6D2 was more camera than the old 6D in almost every way except image quality, which was about the same. But for me the image quality of the R is a big step up from the 6D2. On the 6d2 I was always aware of the noise, even at low iso but with the R sensor I don't worry about ISO, DR, highlight recovery and stuff like that. The 6D2 felt like a 80D whereas the R feels much more solid and well build. The adapter feels like its part of the body and I don't even notice its there and focus is just solid and consistent, unlike the 6d2 that had some unexplained AF misses which I also experienced on the 80D.

And the centre cluster of AF points on the 6D2 is really limiting when compared to the R where I can put the AF quickly and accurately anywhere on the sensor. MF is just in another league with the R.

I have never tried the 5D4 so I could not comment on how it compares to the R. I dont do sport photography so I cant comment on that either. But for portraits , studio, interiors architecture and events it is a pleasure to use.

Personally I would buy the R over the 6D2 anyday and I think the price difference is more than worth it. For me the 6D2 feels like 'The Budget' camera compared to the R. When I bought the 6D2 I had quite a bit of buyers remorse but with the R I'm thrilled to use it every time. So I've kept the old 6D for a backup and sold the 6D2.

And did I mention what a pleasure it is not to have to worry about micro adjusting my lenses anymore!!!

Upvote 0
It is too small for my taste...

For me the R has a much nicer grip than the 6D and 6D2. The R has a deeper grip because of the thinner body I presume, when put side by side the R is surprisingly almost the same size as the 6D2, just a little bit smaller but feels the same ito weight. In the shop I looked at the R with the 70-200f2.8 L lens attached and the lens looked and felt heavy and enormous....but I have not held it on a dslr either so cant say how they compare. My 70-300L, much more compact, feels just fine on the R...the only problem is the neck strap which is thinner and more ala M6, it looks nice , but is not comfortable with a heavy lens on my neck...

Upvote 0
Blah blah blah..... i am sure canon shareholders are happy about that. Not that photographers should care. I am sure Hasselblad owners would agree.
Fact is that he is correct. When it comes to AF Tracking, 4K, DR, FPS the EOS R is lacking compared to other FF mirrorless cameras.

So presumably most Canon users that feel that these things where Canon is lacking is most critical for their photography would have changed over to Sony or Nikon by now? Unless of course I suppose that they are a bit like me akin to an ostrich with its head buried in the sand oblivious to how much more satisfying life would be without a Canon mirror less?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Blah blah blah..... i am sure canon shareholders are happy about that. Not that photographers should care.
I am sure Hasselblad owners would agree. The marketshare of a camera brand does not mean much for me.

Market share means nothing to me in terms of choosing a camera system. But when a member troll is claiming that Canon is ‘not in the game’ and is ‘not competitive’, the fact that more people who actually buy cameras are choosing Canon than those manufacturers that are ‘ahead’ is highly relevant. What photographers should care about, and what I believe they do care about, is what camera(s) they purchase, and the features offered by those cameras...and more photographers choose Canon than other manufacturers. So while Canon may not be competitive in your mind or in the personal realities of some CR trolls, out here in the real world, where people buy cameras to meet their needs, Canon dominates.

But you keep on blah blah blahing about your choice to ignore reality. YKNJS.

Upvote 0