March 2, 2012 The Day for an Announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fotoray said:
SomeGuyInNewJersey said:
DBCdp said:
Maybe take away all your CF cards.... :D

Or even worse all your batteries haha

But in all realities all the penalties/lawsuits/litigation/your name/brand being tarnished, that would be enough to keep anyone quiet. Plus, while I cant speak for everyone, but I'd love to be on that short list of pro's who gets to try out new/prototype gear if not anything else but experimentation, and if I got that chance, losing that trust/relationship would not be worth the 15 minutes of fame on the internet.

Upvote 0
JonJT said:
awinphoto said:
JonJT said:
awinphoto said:
tt said:
650D feb 28 and 5D Mark III on 2nd.
And then iPad 3 about a fortnight after?

An expensive tech month!

Darn right... now I need to gently explain to my wife why my 5 month old 5d mark II is going up for sale shortly haha.

Maaaaaannnnnnnn, it is good to be single.

Shoot, if i was single, I could just imagine all the gear I'd have... but... but...

but.... but.... ?

Haha, I know. Well, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.
You can have your cake and eat it. It's just your partner will want some too! :)

Upvote 0
BDD said:
DzPhotography said:
Quite honestly, I don't get why you guys are so impatient. I never buy something which has been recently released, and surely no cams. My reasons:
1. avoid child diseases
2. wait a bit until the way too high launch price goes down

:p

I won't be buying till the end of the year. Xmas gift to myself. :)

And regarding price drops...that won't happen (in Toronto) for at least a year after the camera hits the market.

The 5D2 debuted up here at around $2500 CAD...several weeks ago sold for the best price I've seen it ($1999.95)...and just recently Canon Canada decided to raise the selling price back up to $2500.

How long can any of us really wait for the 5D3/X? Or should we? I say buy when we can afford one and need one.
Here in Europe that happens quite quickly actually. After a few months you start to see reductions of +10% ;)

Upvote 0
DzPhotography said:
Quite honestly, I don't get why you guys are so impatient. I never buy something which has been recently released, and surely no cams. My reasons:
1. avoid child diseases

While I understand/respect your POV, i do have to ask, do you have this approach with every thing you buy or just cameras? When your computer is on the fritz, do you go and buy the latest and greatest computer or get an older one that you know is quirk free? What about new cars? Appliances? While canon has provided a few (not many but enough big ones to cause alarm) mistakes with newer releases such as the 5d2 black dots, 1ds3 AF or was that 1d3 AF? 24-105 flare issue upon first release... Given the current time line, I wouldn't expect to see rebates on this camera until maybe 2013 spring/summer rebates or even the winter rebates depending on the initial supply and demand goes... Sometimes it's worth waiting, and others it's not.

Upvote 0
RedEye said:
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
...the same specs as before keep coming up. 22mp, 61AF points, full frame, 6.9fps and all that.

As I stated previously, if the above is true, I'll be carefully considering whether to get this camera instead of the 1D X. The main advantage the 1D X held for me was the AF performance - if the new 5-series gets the same AF system, that will make for a tough decision...

All the more reason to thing that these are not accurate specs. That's Porsche building an Cayman 4s. It's not just canabilizing the lines as much as not offering sufficient differentiation within the market - Buick/Oldsombile problem.

What do you want them to do? 4fps? 7D AF? 22MP? The D800 will make that look silly and even many 5D2 owners might just wait things out, if they don't switch.

22MP, 6.9fps, full 1DX AF that would actually give us something. Better lose a few $7000 1DX sales (and how many actually buy a $7000 cam and the few who do are serious, serious action/PJ pros who want the full sealing and 12fps and all that) than tons plus tons of lens sales to Nikon no?

Upvote 0
Ricku said:
gaborszantai said:
I have just checked the UK price of 5D mark II:
The street price was about £1500 yesterday at the popular sellers as Calumet, Jacobs, Jessops...
Today these stores rose the price to £1700 which is ridiculous.

It just doesn't make sense....
That is indeed a strange.

It's a sign from the few above to NOT BUY A CAMERA RIGHT NOW and wait a few more days. Cant be more obvious jeez [/sarcasm]

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
DzPhotography said:
1. avoid child diseases

While I understand/respect your POV, i do have to ask, do you have this approach with every thing you buy or just cameras? When your computer is on the fritz, do you go and buy the latest and greatest computer or get an older one that you know is quirk free? What about new cars? Appliances? While canon has provided a few (not many but enough big ones to cause alarm) mistakes with newer releases such as the 5d2 black dots, 1ds3 AF or was that 1d3 AF? 24-105 flare issue upon first release... Given the current time line, I wouldn't expect to see rebates on this camera until maybe 2013 spring/summer rebates or even the winter rebates depending on the initial supply and demand goes... Sometimes it's worth waiting, and others it's not.

I totally agree with the original post there. And although I guess it's all down to personal circumstances and the way we feel about new acquisitions for all the examples you give I can only say that: I have never purchased a new car - always second hand (the car market especially is prone to serious devaluation within a very short time indeed) I had to re-build my computer over christmas: Again, I bought components that were top notch but not the newest models and managed to re-build my setup for £170 that way. I am a graphic designer by trade so we're not talking a glorified netbook here...
I do think there is something to be said for letting the dust settle and being a little patient at times. Having said that, I also understand that serious pros must keep up with the technological advances in order to stay ahead in the market. If your income and profession allows it, sure be the first in line. Me, I'm happy being the patient kind. Although I am very intrigued to find out what's round the corner in camp Canon!

Upvote 0
G

gaborszantai

awinphoto said:
Ricku said:
gaborszantai said:
I have just checked the UK price of 5D mark II:
The street price was about £1500 yesterday at the popular sellers as Calumet, Jacobs, Jessops...
Today these stores rose the price to £1700 which is ridiculous.

It just doesn't make sense....
That is indeed a strange.
It's a sign from the few above to NOT BUY A CAMERA RIGHT NOW and wait a few more days. Cant be more obvious jeez [/sarcasm]

It's a sign of you shouldn't expect anything because nothing is coming: mark II is still cheaper than D700/D800, people will queue for D800 for month so theres is no reason to launch a new camera until August.

Upvote 0
CowGummy said:
I totally agree with the original post there. And although I guess it's all down to personal circumstances and the way we feel about new acquisitions for all the examples you give I can only say that: I have never purchased a new car - always second hand (the car market especially is prone to serious devaluation within a very short time indeed) I had to re-build my computer over christmas: Again, I bought components that were top notch but not the newest models and managed to re-build my setup for £170 that way. I am a graphic designer by trade so we're not talking a glorified netbook here...
I do think there is something to be said for letting the dust settle and being a little patient at times. Having said that, I also understand that serious pros must keep up with the technological advances in order to stay ahead in the market. If your income and profession allows it, sure be the first in line. Me, I'm happy being the patient kind. Although I am very intrigued to find out what's round the corner in camp Canon!

Fair enough. From my experience, with used stuff, especially cars, I find that if a car is for sale used, there is a perfectly good reason it is for sale... not all of them are bad... but a lot of unknowns go into that purchase and if it's a private sale where there may be 4-5 other people looking at that car, you may have even less time to make your mind up. With new cars, you get a beautiful thing called a warranty... If anything breaks... if anything could potentially become a hazard (except for toyota last year), They fix it on their dime. Computers I've never built my own but know a few who have... While I commend them for that, and am sure they are better machines than my 1 year old imac, I know if anything happens God forbid, apple will take care of me. If this camera has even half of my wishlist for this camera, I'm selling my 5d2 immediately to finance this camera because professionally I cannot afford not to.

Upvote 0
bdeutsch said:
This is very bad news. What's going to happen to CR if the 5dmiii is announced? 75% of the board's traffic is going to drop off. :)

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos
Why? As soon as the 5D III is announced, we start speculating about the features of the 5D IV since the 5D Mk III wasn't what we were hoping for... ;D

Upvote 0
Camera pricing varies so much at certain times of the year depending on where you're from.

Currently, both the 5D2 and D700 are at the same price point...$2500 CAD. For most of 2011 the D700 was cheaper. For most of last year the 5D2 was $1999.95 CAD. What gives?? Some one said (in another thread or forum) that as we near the announcement date of the newer model the cost of the current model will go back to it's original price. It's happened here in Toronto...assuming the 5D3/X is announced either on the 28th or the first week of March.

While I'm not in a rush to buy (because I'm out of the country) I am eager to get some confirmed specs on the new 5D (s). When they will be for sure on the market. And how they do in testing. If we do get a 5D3 & X, and the test reports are good...I'm getting a 5D3 for Xmas. :) (along with some L series glass)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I couldn't care less aboutan announcment, I'll get excited when Canon get a product into the shelf of a store. The only one the mangaged to put out is the G1X, and quite frankly, it's no faster than a G9, af is terrible, useless macro abilities, and crippled VF compared to the X10. It feel svery outdated and heavy.

Is this the story from now on Canon?

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
CowGummy said:

Fair enough. From my experience, with used stuff, especially cars, I find that if a car is for sale used, there is a perfectly good reason it is for sale... not all of them are bad... but a lot of unknowns go into that purchase and if it's a private sale where there may be 4-5 other people looking at that car, you may have even less time to make your mind up. With new cars, you get a beautiful thing called a warranty... If anything breaks... if anything could potentially become a hazard (except for toyota last year), They fix it on their dime. Computers I've never built my own but know a few who have... While I commend them for that, and am sure they are better machines than my 1 year old imac, I know if anything happens God forbid, apple will take care of me. If this camera has even half of my wishlist for this camera, I'm selling my 5d2 immediately to finance this camera because professionally I cannot afford not to.

Hats off to you awinphoto for such a balanced and fair response. And thanks for taking my comment not to heart, but instead as a personal opinion. I do agree with you that if the 5DII replacement ticks all the right boxes, someone such as yourself would be hard pressed not to be first in line. I can't wait to see some sample shots of this new baby! All the best.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.