Max size of print

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madkrafter

I would say 24x36" is definitely doable on a 5D2 if the exposure is good. I have done a 20x30 print from my old, old D60 (6.2MP) as well as up to 30x40" from my old 50D (15.1MP), and that's because that's as big as mpix and some other labs would print. I have yet to make a print from my new 5D2.

When sending to the lab it's a good idea to find out the native resolution of the printer. For most, 200dpi is default. Some may go up to 300dpi if you want to retain a lot of detail. I send my files to the labs by Dimming the resolution to 200dpi but don't size to your final size. Dimming, BTW, is an old Scitex Prepress term, which in Photoshop-speak means adjusting the image size with the "Resample Image" box unchecked. The image size will adjust to the new resolution.

Most labs will tell you to leave the sizing to the imager's RIP. They can handle the interpolation better than Photoshop.

Upvote 0
G

ghosh9691

gwei8 said:
Hi,

What is the maximum poster size you can print 5D2 files to and still have good results? I was thinking about 24"x36"... please let me know your thoughts.... the shot was taken at ISO100, f8, on tripod.

Thanks
G

The correct answer is "it depends" :). With a 5D2 file at full resolution, it is 5616 pixels wide. With that, you can print to a 187-inch width at 30dpi. That would be a billboard sized print. When viewed at an appropriate distance, things will look good. If a gear head views it, they will complain about how it is not 300dpi and that when they stick their noses against it, the photo looks terrible.

For most magazine prints, 300dpi is a good and the 5D2 can print to 18.7 inches wide. For a wall hanging, you can print at 200 dpi to get an image 28 inches wide and it will look good at "normal" viewing angles - just don't take a microscope to it and don't stick your nose against it :)

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0
I doubt most people would be able to see the difference between a 300 ppi and 200 ppi image if printed on a good printer. Many images will also still look good at 150 ppi, although you do start to get into the realms of how good the image quality is and what the subject/amount of detail is. At 150 ppi on the 5D MkII, you can get over 37 inches or almost one metre on the long side.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.