Monopod & Head recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
How much lens do you need to support?

I've previously used a Manfrotto 694CX carbon fiber monopod with the 234 tilt head (and a Wimberley C-12 clamp on top for AS plates). Sturdy, light, pretty smooth and supports up to a 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 with a gripped body.

I currently have a Really Right Stuff MC-34 carbon fiber monopod with the MH-02 Pro head. Simply awesome. Supports my 1D X + 600mm f/4L IS II just fine.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
How much lens do you need to support?

I've previously used a Manfrotto 694CX carbon fiber monopod with the 234 tilt head (and a Wimberley C-12 clamp on top for AS plates). Sturdy, light, pretty smooth and supports up to a 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 with a gripped body.

I currently have a Really Right Stuff MC-34 carbon fiber monopod with the MH-02 Pro head. Simply awesome. Supports my 1D X + 600mm f/4L IS II just fine.

Thanks for the recommendations. I need support for a 70-200, so I think you first suggestion would work for me.

Upvote 0
My suggestion is to get the monopod and skip the head. Watch the photographers at your next pro sporting event (or Google it) and you will not see many with heads on their monopods. The beauty of the monopod is you can simply rock slightly forward or backward to change angle and you lose little or no support - even with large lenses.
Was just in a new Calumet store that opened in Ft. Lauderdale and saw that they sell some store branded carbon fiber monopods which seemed pretty nice (and reasonably priced.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.