Moon photos

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The clouds never parted here, so I didn’t get any pictures. In January, 2019, I took some shots with my 100–400mm zoom at 400mm during the progress of the eclipse. But as it got toward totality, and the moon got very high in the sky, my tripod didn’t support the camera well enough to aim at the moon. (And yes, I had it fastened to the foot on the lens, not the camera. And since then I have got a better tripod head.) So I gave up and came inside. When I went out to see the red moon for myself, I decided to take a shot with my G7X II. Of course the moon was rather small, but the picture turned out surprisingly well. I had hoped last night that I would be able to take a picture at totality with 400mm, but the weather did not cooperate.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
The clouds never parted here, so I didn’t get any pictures. In January, 2019, I took some shots with my 100–400mm zoom at 400mm during the progress of the eclipse. But as it got toward totality, and the moon got very high in the sky, my tripod didn’t support the camera well enough to aim at the moon. (And yes, I had it fastened to the foot on the lens, not the camera. And since then I have got a better tripod head.) So I gave up and came inside. When I went out to see the red moon for myself, I decided to take a shot with my G7X II. Of course the moon was rather small, but the picture turned out surprisingly well. I had hoped last night that I would be able to take a picture at totality with 400mm, but the weather did not cooperate.
10 photos compiled into one JPG from last night's eclipse.

View attachment 203618
Nice to see the composite.
I was planning on a similar image, but my clumsiness reappeared and I accidentally changed focus. After refocusing and cranking the ISO, I refocused successfully, but haven’t taken the time to put things together.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I understand. There are many small things that crop up with night photography. Where I live, it’s usually clouds and my clumsiness.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Stayed up most of the way through the totality, but the clouds here never cleared. Was planning to use the R3 with the RF 1.4x and EF 2xIII stacked behind the 600/4 II.

Here's a shot from the September, 2015 eclipse. 1D X, 600/4 II + 2xIII, on a RRS TVC-33 so no issues with support.

Blood Moon.jpg

Hoping for a clear night on the next total eclipse, in November.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Excellent shots. Especially the second one. Well done!
a025.gif

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The last supermoon of the year, the Sturgeon Moon. It was so clear last night I couldn't resist putting the RF 800 f/11 on the R7 and poking it through the bedroom window at about 11 pm, some 3 1/2 hours before the official full moon. Hand held iso 200, 1/640 s and then pushed through 2 ev. I upped the microcontrast.

Sturgeon_Moon_iso_200-ls-sh-S.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0