More Canon announcements coming in 2020

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
The funny thing is Canon is lying about the overheating. The R5 can shoot 8K raw without issue. The overheating warning is driven purely by a timer. Actual temperature has nothing to do with it. Pull the internal coin cell battery and the timer is reset. Nothing to do with temperature at all. I’ve personally shot 8 hours straight with the R5 in 4K HQ and the body while warm was never uncomfortable to the touch. It’s all just deliberate firmware timer crippling to segment this amazing body from the Cinema line.
Here’s a link to where a user pulled the battery while constantly monitoring the cameras with a thermal imager.

Canon did it, they made a mirrorless that can shoot all day long in 8K raw... without overheating... and then they purposely crippled it.
Perhaps a finer wordsmith than I may be more convincing...

Roger at DPReview

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Perhaps a finer wordsmith than I may be more convincing...

Roger at DPReview

Far from being a better wordsmith.

I'll just say that I think he's onto something. I think he, and everyone that owns the R5 and believes Canon intentionally crippled the camera's video functions to protect their cinema line, should open the camera and pull the battery so that they can record as much 8k video as their hearts desire.

• Haha
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
About the 'Canon crippled the video with a fake overheat warning!' posts in this thread...

Spoiler alert: I don't give two cents that the R5 overheats doing high end video. I care even less if Canon purposely installed software limits to cripple the video.

None of you can point to any camera on the market right now that can do what the R5 can do at the price point it is at. It's simply an amazing camera that no other manufacturer can touch right now. Even with that said, it appears that 'maybe' the R5 is capable of EVEN MORE performance without damaging the sensitive electronics. A very big MAYBE and I'm skeptical. After all, PHYSICS is real!

If Canon has developed a tech that allows them offer high end video without limits who the heck are we to get mad that they didn't give it to us in a sub $4k body? It's their tech. They can release it, sit on it, offer it for a ton more cash, or trickle it out.

Assuming Canon did cripple the R5, here's a mind-bender for you people feeling like Canon pulled a fast one:

Car manufacturers build their cars with the generic wiring harnesses. Every wiring harness already contains the wires and circuits needed for, say, blind spot assist. But you didn't want to pay for it, so you didn't get it even though your car is already capable of it. You angry?

Yes, I know you're going to say "but Canon PROMISED 8k video in their promotions for the R5!"

Yup. They did. And they gave it to you at a sub $4k price. You want the fully optioned 'unlimited' model? I guarantee It's gonna cost a lot more than $4k.

Canon didn't do/isn't doing anything any other manufacturer of any other product wouldn't do or hasn't done.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Far from being a better wordsmith.

I'll just say that I think he's onto something. I think he, and everyone that owns the R5 and believes Canon intentionally crippled the camera's video functions to protect their cinema line, should open the camera and pull the battery so that they can record as much 8k video as their hearts desire.

I think the only thing Canon did wrong was overmarked the 8k function AND the camera should not require a long recovery time before you can shoot stills (if that is a problem). Just because a mechanical or electronic piece of gear can be pushed farther, it doesn't mean it is healthy for the long term operation of the unit. I wonder how hap[y some of the folks pulling batter and shooting long 8k clips will feel when their cameras have 1/4 or 1/2 the life expectancy of cameras that are used as design. It should be easy for Canon to add firmware that will detect when customers have pulled batteries to extend recording. I shoot very little video and 4k 30p is fine for what I do need, so maybe that is why I am not upset about video unless if impacts the operation of the stills function.

If a company delivers a camera that meets the defined spec and a user buys the camera with that published spec, it doesn't matter that the device is capable of higher performance. The company has delivered a product to the specified price/capability and the user bought the gear because that met their need regardless if they wanted more. The problem is a lot of people have absolutely no idea what is involved in the concept, design, manufacture, logistics, market and general operation of a company.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Canon, You got served.
all he's basically doing is repeating the same mistakes and talking points as Andrew.

and still completely missing the obvious.

What I find curious is this.

d3395f8f8581d6ad20ee667cf95d81bc.png

this image shows the sensor rolling in at 50C. That's most likely too warm, and image quality will degrade at that point.

and btw, that is the sensor.. IN OPEN AIR, and again, not trapped air like you would have if a bloody lens was attached (this is why this entire test is so messed, it's not even realistic).

Notice that the image sensor is the hottest thing around it too?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Notice that the image sensor is the hottest thing around it too?
I wonder if that reading could be false. There is an IR filter in front of each camera sensor, right? How do these work - to they absorb IR, or reflect it? If it's the latter, the sensor brightness may come from reflecting something rather than actually heat of the sensor.

Upvote 0
I wonder if that reading could be false. There is an IR filter in front of each camera sensor, right? How do these work - to they absorb IR, or reflect it? If it's the latter, the sensor brightness may come from reflecting something rather than actually heat of the sensor.
yeah I don't know, the entire test is flawed.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon, You got served.
the guy is legally illiterate OR purposefully misinterpreting Canon Advanced User Guide:

at two minutes into the video:
says that Advanced user manual in not clear enough in saying that video recording is UP TO 20 min in 8K30 mode and then put this screen up where it says PROMISED: 20 minutes. which is a complete lie. Shame on you, Tony. Sensationalism in its ugliest form.

1598096254970.png

Upvote 0
About the 'Canon crippled the video with a fake overheat warning!' posts in this thread...

Spoiler alert: I don't give two cents that the R5 overheats doing high end video. I care even less if Canon purposely installed software limits to cripple the video.

None of you can point to any camera on the market right now that can do what the R5 can do at the price point it is at. It's simply an amazing camera that no other manufacturer can touch right now. Even with that said, it appears that 'maybe' the R5 is capable of EVEN MORE performance without damaging the sensitive electronics. A very big MAYBE and I'm skeptical. After all, PHYSICS is real!

If Canon has developed a tech that allows them offer high end video without limits who the heck are we to get mad that they didn't give it to us in a sub $4k body? It's their tech. They can release it, sit on it, offer it for a ton more cash, or trickle it out.

Assuming Canon did cripple the R5, here's a mind-bender for you people feeling like Canon pulled a fast one:

Car manufacturers build their cars with the generic wiring harnesses. Every wiring harness already contains the wires and circuits needed for, say, blind spot assist. But you didn't want to pay for it, so you didn't get it even though your car is already capable of it. You angry?

Yes, I know you're going to say "but Canon PROMISED 8k video in their promotions for the R5!"

Yup. They did. And they gave it to you at a sub $4k price. You want the fully optioned 'unlimited' model? I guarantee It's gonna cost a lot more than $4k.

Canon didn't do/isn't doing anything any other manufacturer of any other product wouldn't do or hasn't done.
Agree, but whiners are gonna whine. It’s what they do. You can’t convince a zebra to change his stripes.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
actually get the drop in filter EF/RF adapter and actually SAVE money by upgrading to an RF camera.

Yes, I bought the R with a control ring ef-rf adapter as a stop gap while waiting for the R5 last year.

I will get the R5 when the price level a little in Australia.

The R is a capable camera for landscape and portrait so it will be my 2nd camera once I acquired the R5, and I think I will sell the 5D3?

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I agree, not cheap at all. I did it slowly when the F2.8's were released, since I figured when the R5 came along lenses may be harder to get. Looks like this is true with the 15-35, not so much the others. So now I just need an R5 lol. And the RF's will probably drop a little in price, but I bet not much and very slowly.

There is nothing wrong with using those EF's on an R body, they work very well too!

Yes, I have the R with a control ring adapter last year.

Will get the R5 once the price dropped a little in Australia and we are allowed to travel again.

I think I will get a fast RF prime instead of replacing my ef collection.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

Sold listings are an impressive rebuttal against the bullshit. With an average sold price of $5,400 I don't know of another mass market camera that has sold for so much above list price.

Those are new - Bounce claims there are used R5s flooding the market. I was hoping he could link to one of the many listing he claims so I could add a second R5 to the inventory.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Those are new - Bounce claims there are used R5s flooding the market. I was hoping he could link to one of the many listing he claims so I could add a second R5 to the inventory.
No most of them are not new retail units, they are unused retail purchased units, basically people flipping them and making a very handsome profit!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
No most of them are not new retail units, they are unused retail purchased units, basically people flipping them and making a very handsome profit!

You'd have to follow the discussion.

He was claiming that the cameras were so bad they were being returned in droves and retailer's had scads of used R5s for sale. Models that would have to legally be listed as 'used' at say - B&H for example - that was the cite he was referencing.

I asked him for a link to one. I'm still waiting.

This was right after he spouted some crap with an EOS HD reference..

His quote:

" Moves like this will see canon going out of business. When the R5 was released it was a “number one” seller on BH websites... after the cripple debacle it’s since been reduced to just “top seller” status. Do knew what took its place? The Sony A7S3. There are already used models of the R5 in stock. This is harming Canon. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0