More Canon EOS 6D Specifications Talk [CR1]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
daaningrid said:
not bad not great and that is essentially a 6d

Largely, I agree. But some would argue the 6D was (at one point) the finest FF sensor Canon sold for less than $6k, and it was the first to have -3 EV center AF point functionality.

That's the rub with balancing our orderly & tidy good/better/best way of pegging things versus the latest thing out of the gate may have some new hotness. That is where I get excited:

5D3 got the first (Canon DSLR) silent shutter --> that was a huge feature
70D got DPAF
6D got -3 EV center AF point sensitivity
7D2 got anti-flicker mode
5DS got mirror lockup delay
5D4 got nerfed down to 7 fps DPRAW functionality and 4K in a non-flagship rig

And so on...

What will the 6D2 get? The first Canon FF tilty-flippy seems a 'meh' sort of thing (it's wanted and needed, but it's also expected), so I wonder what else Canon has under the hood with the 6D2.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Etienne said:
Pr0grammed_Reality said:
No 4k, No buy. I do too much video. I will be taking this opportunity to go mirrorless when canon's full frame mirrorless comes out instead. My 6D with be my last mirrored camera.

Agreed .... 4K is standard video today. The Panasonic GH5 will come out with 6K, and 4K at 60p.
Withholding 4K from the 6D would look really stingy and stupid in 2017.

Fair point -- and I look forward to the full-frame f/1.4 isolation and bokeh that the GH5 will deliver. :p

Those waffling between a GH5 and a 6D are the same people that are torn between buying a Mustang and a Volvo... in that they don't exist. If video is your focus, get a GH4 / GH5 or A7S II. If great stills are your focus, get a FF DSLR.

If Canon were to look over its shoulders at it's like segment competition -- something they rarely do -- they'd see a D610 without 4K (but certainly due for an upgrade) and they'd see an A7 II also without 4K (but surely to get it with its next model).

I'm not convinced a 6D2 has to have it, but it wouldn't be surprised if it did get it.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
canonographer said:
I would be shocked if they did this, but I would love to see them implement one of the EFV/OVF hybrid patents we keep seeing.

Having the ability to adjust exposure while looking through the viewfinder and actually seeing blown out or clipped areas is a game changer, one of many.

As has been discussed many times over, I hear you, but such a product would not be a sequel to an existing DSLR brand -- it would be a new product line altogether.

Just wait for FF mirrorless. It is eventually coming. If you can't wait, get an A7 rig and an adapter and keep using your Canon glass.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hellish said:
With no 4K this will be a huge FLOP, what reason is there to even get this over the current gen Nikon D750, not to mention this camera has to last 4 YEARS which by then 4k will be a thing of the past. Unless canon plans on doing yearly refreshes without 4k this camera will not do well.

Just a few thoughts:

[list type=decimal]
[*]It's a lesser known fact that the 6D has an EF mount and the D750 doesn't. (I know -- that shocked me, too.) If you already own a Canon SLR -- which is who this rig is principally aimed at -- you are overwhelmingly going to stay in the EF fold because you know the camera's layout, controls, etc. and you likely have Canon EF glass you would like to use on it.

[*]Some people don't give a whip about video, or those that do don't have a 4K display on their comp or in their living room.

[*]And those that do give a whip about video might like touchscreen DPAF focusing and STM / Nano USM lenses with power zoom functionality, something the D750 does not have. Remember, no matter how good the video codec / resolution is, it looks like s--- if it's out of focus.
[/list]

I agree there is upside for 4K, but I don't deem it essential. This is supposed to be the affordable FF rig. From Canon's perspective, 4K is possibly not a must for this rig to hit its cost / profit targets.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tangent said:
Weaken or removed AA filter. Maybe the rumored variable AA filter but controllable by user. Turn it up for people, turn it off for nature.

If the 5D4 keeps the AA filter and the 6D2 doesn't, I could see a bunch of 5D4 owners going absolutely nuts. In theory, such a feature could see a 24 MP sensor deliver as sharp shots as a 30 MP 5D4 sensor with an AA filter.

I just don't see it happening -- at least with this 'wave' of 1DX2 / 5D4 / 6D2.

- A

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Hellish said:
With no 4K this will be a huge FLOP, what reason is there to even get this over the current gen Nikon D750, not to mention this camera has to last 4 YEARS which by then 4k will be a thing of the past. Unless canon plans on doing yearly refreshes without 4k this camera will not do well.

That's probably how long it will take for Sony to develop reliable 4K recording, and chances are Canon will have equal or better tech by that time as well.

Upvote 0
Famateur said:
If these rumored specs are accurate, this will be my next body.

Honestly, I just want a full-frame version of my 70D with the newest generation of sensors from Canon. I'm guessing it won't keep up with 70D frame rate of 7 FPS, and I prefer fully* articulating screen to tilt-only, but everything else will be enough for me to go for it.

Okay, to be really honest, if the 5DIV had a fully articulating touch screen, I would have figured out a way to scrimp, save and/or sell things to buy it. :p

* Fully articulating means it can be closed to protect it while in my bag. It also gives more flexibility in tight spaces or weird positions. Tilty would be better than fixed, but not nearly as useful as articulating...for me.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Exactly my thoughts.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
tilty could be useful for those low angle shots when you otherwise would be covered in mud, dust or wet as fish :).
It is also useful when your camera elevated above your head.

P.S. looks like me and dsut4392 were posting simultaneously; great minds think alike! :D

Ladislav said:
I don't mind "only" 19 AF if they are nicely spread and all cross type. It will be better than "one" on 6D1.

What I don't understand is tilt screen. This camera will have limitations in video to not compete with 5d4. Tilt screen is mainly important for video, so removing video features and adding tilt screen is strange.

Upvote 0
Hellish said:

Personally I couldn't care less about video whatsoever. If I want video I'll buy an exclusive video without the common compromises inherent with dual products. None of the other manufacturers have perfected a 4K system as of yet. I want a great still camera if I buy a still camera. If you're unsatisfied with Canon products I'd suggest you make a switch and leave the forum to whine somewhere else possibly on a Sony forum.

I do wish they would have come out with a 5DIV with the AA filter removed but life is about compomises and I accept that. I'm sticking with 5D3 for now and accept the many shortcomings with a GREAT camera.

Upvote 0