More features coming to Canon EOS R5 in future firmware [CR2]

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
The sensor feature order you mention is not a law. In my opinion, the Cmos sensor standard will be gradually removed from now on.

These are my predictions, ;)
They might, but it’s going to be one hell of an expensive camera. Can’t see how they can keep the price lower than an R3 with that type of sensor and the amount of processing required to push those megapixels, the buffer required alone will push a processor to the extremes.
61 mp at raw would be maybe 50+ MB files?
At 40 fps the cf express card would have to be able to write 2GB of sustained data a second.
See where I am going with this? The amount of tech required to make this work will logically be something put in the R1, not the R5ii.
And if they did do something more impressive in the R1 and you predict this in a $5000-7000 R5ii correctly, then what will replace the price gap from a:
R6ii - $2500
R5 - $3700
R3- $6000

These specs for an R5ii do not fit well when you consider the price it would have to sell for. If it’s cheaper than an R3, then why would I buy an R3?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They might, but it’s going to be one hell of an expensive camera. Can’t see how they can keep the price lower than an R3 with that type of sensor and the amount of processing required to push those megapixels, the buffer required alone will push a processor to the extremes.
61 mp at raw would be maybe 50+ MB files?
At 40 fps the cf express card would have to be able to write 2GB of sustained data a second.
See where I am going with this? The amount of tech required to make this work will logically be something put in the R1, not the R5ii.
And if they did do something more impressive in the R1 and you predict this in a $5000-7000 R5ii correctly, then what will replace the price gap from a:
R6ii - $2500
R5 - $3700
R3- $6000

These specs for an R5ii do not fit well when you consider the price it would have to sell for. If it’s cheaper than an R3, then why would I buy an R3?
I always thought the price for the R3 was far from competitive. Considering a body like the Nikon Z9 and the price. Paying $6,000 for R3? I won't, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Only when one becomes available :) ...
A few thoughts:

The number of people willing to fork out $5000 for a R5ii body, when they already have the truly excellent R5, is probably quite small...
True, and I fully agree.
But other companies did else, even with HW flaws.
I remember some oil leakage problems that were solved with a new body. Do you, too?

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2022
The images from the pixel shift function are never going to approach 400mpix resolution because none of the RF lenses are capable of this resolution
You didn't understand how this is working, all this needs to work is 45 MP resolving power. Thing of it as an interlaced panorama shot, each time the sensor moves, it actually "sees" a different part of the image. Just look at the results posted by people, it's remarkable.
It's a good feature, people bitch about it, myself included because it's badly implemented. No raw, no movement compensation, at the very least the camera should optionally offer to saves all the 9 files separately in raw, and without the computing time so sticjh it together. So we could then stitch this in post, with better tools keeping the rawness.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I suspect the R1 will be 36-38 MP, sufficient for 8K video but not much more.

For the most part, people on this forum hoping for a high MP R1 are not the people who will buying and using it. It’s the latter group that Canon has listened to, not the former.

While it’s possible Canon goes the route of high MP with binned output for speed (e.g., 90 MP with 22.5 MP binned RAW), doing so would mean compromising image quality of the full resolution output, and I don’t see Canon doing that in their flagship camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I always thought the price for the R3 was far from competitive. Considering a body like the Nikon Z9 and the price. Paying $6,000 for R3? I won't, thanks.
That’s ok. Canon priced it where they think it should be, and they’re better at this than you or me.

I will point out that the Z9 won’t work with my 28-70/2 or my small/light 70-200/2.8. But then, my R3 won’t work with some of the nice Nikon lenses.

Upvote 0
That’s ok. Canon priced it where they think it should be, and they’re better at this than you or me.

I will point out that the Z9 won’t work with my 28-70/2 or my small/light 70-200/2.8. But then, my R3 won’t work with some of the nice Nikon lenses.
Yes, canon may think so, but things don't work that way anymore on the user's side, price and performance force many users to switch to different brands.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, canon may think so, but things don't work that way anymore on the user's side, price and performance force many users to switch to different brands.
YAPODFC. :rolleyes:

Seems you’re another of those forum warriors who knows more about making and selling cameras than the company that’s led the market for 20 years. Because that makes sense.

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
That is exactly my point, IF the R3 is that expensive, imagine how much more a body with the specs you listed will cost. Hence why it cannot be sub $6000 and will most likely be something we can expect from the R1 at around $8000. Especially since there is no other body in the market that would be able to do that.
The R3 direct competitor is the A9ii at $4500, The A9iii I can see coming out for $5000. The A1 is $6500 and when the R1 comes out, I could see the A1ii bring priced around $7000-$7500 to match the R1's price tag.
Having your R5ii feature list for $4000-$5000 seems pretty impossible with today's technology. And if you won't pay $6000 for an R3, why would you pay $7000 for an R5ii lol

What I think they will do with the R5ii is more so a refresh update.
Dual CF Express cards (will allow redundant recording for the high bit rate video that requires a cf express card)
Same 45mp Sensor (It has a great readout speed for a non-stacked sensor)
New interface hot shoe
Separate IBIS and lens stabe controls (Turn off IBIS but keep lens OS on, or turn off Lens OS and keep IBIS on, No more wobbles at wide focal lengths)
Faster processing power to allow 20-30 fps, 14 bit electronic high speed
More video features, Clog4, more codec options, H264, H265, All-I, IPB and 4k Raw for all settings (Still sour I cannot record 4k 120 in H264 IPB, but I can record 8k 30 IPB)
Maybe with a faster processor and sensor cooling, all the 4k can be down sampled in 8k HQ mode. 4k 120 down sampled from 8k would be a very nice option to have.

I don't think there is much to add in terms of photography use, other than and increased shooting speed and the latest AF features. Especially since The R5 should be getting pre-shooting buffer, etc with the v2.0 firmware which means it should automatically be in the R5ii.
Video is where they can add a massive improvement and basically make it a video workhorse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
yes, I have a few specs for the upcoming R5 Mark II,

1. 61 Full-Frame Stacked BSI CMOS Sensors, possibly, but they may stick with 45MP
2. No mechanical shutter. Electronic shutter speed is variable and high (30-40 frames per second.) I think they'll retain mechanical shutter
4. Sensor Read out speed at R3 level or faster. not if they up the sensor res to 61MP
4. High resolution LCD as in R3, (4.2m-Dot ) agreed
5. Dot EVF with increased resolution, agreed
6. 8K 60fps and more detailed options. (There may be a time limit for 60 fps) agreed
7. Dual CFexpress Memory Card Slots. agreed
8. Moving the power button to the left, like the Canon R6 Mark II. agreed
9. Of course, much more advanced Auto focus and tracking features. agreed
10. Advanced Focus-breathing compensation agreed

there may be some shortcomings. My guess is this. :)
I've appended my comments above.

I'd also expect (and very much hope) to have the AF smart controller from the R3/1Dxiii.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Having your R5ii feature list for $4000-$5000 seems pretty impossible with today's technology. And if you won't pay $6000 for an R3, why would you pay $7000 for an R5ii lol
^^This. My observations from years of being on this forum are that people want cameras packed with the features they personally want, and they want Canon to give them away for a song.

"Canon needs to put all the R1 features I dream of but can't afford into the R6III and it needs to cost $2500, or else they're not competitive and everyone will switch brands and Canon is d00med."

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
That is exactly my point, IF the R3 is that expensive, imagine how much more a body with the specs you listed will cost. Hence why it cannot be sub $6000 and will most likely be something we can expect from the R1 at around $8000. Especially since there is no other body in the market that would be able to do that.
The R3 direct competitor is the A9ii at $4500, The A9iii I can see coming out for $5000. The A1 is $6500 and when the R1 comes out, I could see the A1ii bring priced around $7000-$7500 to match the R1's price tag.

What I think they will do with the R5ii is more so a refresh update.
Dual CF Express cards (will allow redundant recording for the high bit rate video that requires a cf express card)
Same 45mp Sensor (It has a great readout speed for a non-stacked sensor)
New interface hot shoe
Separate IBIS and lens stabe controls (Turn off IBIS but keep lens OS on, or turn off Lens OS and keep IBIS on, No more wobbles at wide focal lengths)
Faster processing power to allow 20-30 fps, 14 bit electronic high speed
More video features, Clog4, more codec options, H264, H265, All-I, IPB and 4k Raw for all settings (Still sour I cannot record 4k 120 in H264 IPB, but I can record 8k 30 IPB)
Maybe with a faster processor and sensor cooling, all the 4k can be down sampled in 8k HQ mode. 4k 120 down sampled from 8k would be a very nice option to have.

I don't think there is much to add in terms of photography use, other than and increased shooting speed and the latest AF features. Especially since The R5 should be getting pre-shooting buffer, etc with the v2.0 firmware which means it should automatically be in the R5ii.
Video is where they can add a massive improvement and basically make it a video workhorse.
Yes, I agree with you about pricing by model. Frankly, when you look back, Canon's 5D series came with many firsts and innovations. I don't think the Canon R5 Mark II will come with a few upgrades like the Canon R6 Mark II. If so, pricing close to the R6 and R6 Mark 2 price gap wouldn't surprise me. $4,500 - $5000. This is actually the price range you are talking about. Let's see what kind of camera will come after 1 year. :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
^^This. My observations from years of being on this forum are that people want cameras packed with the features they personally want, and they want Canon to give them away for a song.

"Canon needs to put all the R1 features I dream of but can't afford into the R6III and it needs to cost $2500, or else they're not competitive and everyone will switch brands and Canon is d00med."
The R8 was a very nice surprise in that regard!

Upvote 0