More G Series PowerShot Cameras on the Way, G5 X Mark II to Feature 1\

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve already heard a lot of rumbling about an imminent replacement for the PowerShot G1 X Mark II. We’ve reported that the flagship PowerShot will receive a 24mp APS-C sized sensor, instead of the 1.5″ sensor found in the current version.</p>
<p>We’ve been told that the PowerShot G5 X is also receiving a Mark II version shortly, but that the camera will retain the 1″ sized sensor. The new sensor is rumored to be 20.2mp, which is the same resolution of the current camera. The new sensor should be upgraded in image quality and and be equipped with DPAF. We do not know if the camera lens is going to remain 24-105mm (35mm equivalent).</p>

<p>We have moved the PowerShot G5 X to a “don’t buy” along with the PowerShot G1 X Mark II in <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide-category/powershot/">our Buyer’s Guide</a>. We’re still waiting to hear if the PowerShot G3 X will be getting a Mark II version shortly.</p>
<p>While have been unable to confirm an announcement date for the refreshed PowerShot cameras.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 20, 2010
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

Sounds like Thom Hogan is right. Canon is now fabricating their own 1" sensors; they are moving away from their dependence on Sony to increase profit margins.

"An interesting followup to the sensor wars article: not quite noted yet by most of the Web, the new Canon XF405 Camcorder has a 1" sensor. It's not a Sony sensor ;~).

It appears that Canon has brought their dual-pixel technology down to 1", in an 8mp sensor for video cameras. I'm not sure why Canon targeted 8mp. That would imply that the sensor is actually 3920 x 2160 in photosite count, meaning that every pixel has Bayer interpretation to get the additional two color data points. It also means that you have fairly large photosites (something on the order of 3.5 microns, compared to the 2.5 micron size of the Sony 1" sensor).

That Canon is apparently now fabbing its own 1" sensor has implications on the lower end of Canon's still camera lineup. The PowerShot models still in Canon's lineup currently tend to use Sony-supplied sensors. I'm guessing that Canon is going to reign that in."
- http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-sensor-battles-continue.html

Upvote 0

DPAF sounds great, that was on my wishlist after seeing the AF performance of the Sony RX 100 V.

Still on my wishlist for the G5 X Mark II:
- 4K/30fps, 1440p/60fps, 1080p/120fps
- ~8fps RAW or maybe 24fps like the RX 100 V?
- microphone jack instead of remote
- dustproof lens
- Lens ring (stepped/stepless)
- slightly better ISO
- increased battery life

well wishful thinking...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
The new sensor should be upgraded in image quality and and be equipped with DPAF. We do not know if the camera lens is going to remain 24-105mm (35mm equivalent).

if canon indeed is starting to fab 20MP 1" sensors themselves, it means they had to have done alot more to their fabrication plants than many of us even thought.

I do believe that Sony is using 65nm design rules, and it means that canon must have gone from 500nm all the way down to sub 100nm design rules to get this to work well.

one problem though is that this isn't BSI, so there will be a loss of efficiency there. however, canon producing a competitive 1" CMOS sensor could be a good thing for video and future high resolution sensors.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
rrcphoto said:
one problem though is that this isn't BSI, so there will be a loss of efficiency there. however, canon producing a competitive 1" CMOS sensor could be a good thing for video and future high resolution sensors.

well ... we shall see just how "competitive" those new Canon sensors are going to be ... not expecting much on that end. I'd expect a similar difference as between Nikon D850 / Sony A7R II vs. EOS 5D IV ... the new 1" video-cam sensors with only 8 MP are a comparatively easy exercise vs. 20+ MP sensors.

Upvote 0
Re: The PowerShot G5 X Mark II to Feature 1 inch DPAF 20.2mp Sensor?

Nikon isn't using a Sony sensor in their D850 either.... so it seems that Canon is not the only company trying to shift away from dependence on Sony sensors.

Canon are probably slightly ahead on technology compared to the 5D mark IV (one year has passed since it was released), and by the time these powershots are announced and then released, another 6 months or so will probably pass.

Upvote 0

okaro said:
Wizardly said:
I'm disappointed that this won't get the APS-C sensor.

It would make no sense to make two basically identical cameras with APS-C sensor. APS-C necessarily makes the camera much bigger.

Not really. The m5/m6 do this. It's possible of course that the G1x.3 will have the detachable EVF.

I would still love to see an APS-C 22mm f/1.8 (or 1.4, as long as I'm fantasizing) compact with EVF to take on Fuji.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Wizardly said:
okaro said:
It would make no sense to make two basically identical cameras with APS-C sensor. APS-C necessarily makes the camera much bigger.
Not really. The m5/m6 do this. It's possible of course that the G1x.3 will have the detachable EVF.

More accurate would be to say that it would make the lens much bigger. But given that this is a fixed-lens camera, it makes the camera as a whole bigger, unless they cut the zoom range and/or aperture size considerably.

Upvote 0

mistaspeedy said:
Nikon isn't using a Sony sensor in their D850 either.... so it seems that Canon is not the only company trying to shift away from dependence on Sony sensors.

Stating that Nikon is not using a Sony sensor in the D850 is slightly misleading. It appears that they are using Sony technology (Exmor R) with custom modifications designed by Nikon, made on the old Toshiba fab line (now owned by Sony, who acquired Toshiba's sensor business in late 2015). So technically, you could argue that it is not a 100% Sony sensor, but you know what they say about looking, swimming and quacking like a duck...

mistaspeedy said:
Canon are probably slightly ahead on technology compared to the 5D mark IV (one year has passed since it was released), and by the time these powershots are announced and then released, another 6 months or so will probably pass.
Or, as Thom Hogan seems to be suggesting, is Canon trying to get most of their premium lineup onto one basic sensor design, i.e. 24MP APS-C=~60MP 35mm FF=~ 8MP 1"? This would signal that Canon is trying to get away from Sony sensors in their 1" models, but this current rumour's suggestion of a 20.2MP 1" sensor for the G5X Mkii looks a lot like a Sony product. The newly announced pro camcorder use an 8MP effective sensor... Strangely, this is quoted as "Approx. 8.29 megapixels (3840 x 2160)" effective resolution, but with a total resolution of "Approx. 13.4 megapixels (4268 x 3148)"
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/camcorders/professional/xf405

I'm no video expert, so perhaps this disparity is normal in that world (aspect ratio issues?). Either way, there doesn't seem to be much of a technological leap on these new (Canon?) 8MP 1" sensor designs.

Upvote 0

I have no idea how accurate this information is, but the angry photographer says the D850 sensor was designed by a company formerly owned by Panasonic, but was sold to an Israeli company (Towerjazz). The fab that actually manufacturers them is in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZGDpAZiSI
http://www.funtechtalk.com/makes-image-sensor-nikon-d850-camera-not-sony/

There are other articles and sources stating the same.... again, I have no idea how accurate the information is.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015

Wizardly said:
okaro said:
Wizardly said:

I would still love to see an APS-C 22mm f/1.8 (or 1.4, as long as I'm fantasizing) compact with EVF to take on Fuji.

The G7 X is the G5 X minus EVF. G1 X is a separate top level model. If they made G5 X with APS they would have then to make G6 X with one inch sensor. You cannot make a small camera with larger sensor unless you make huge compromises like using a prime lens. This would make it a marginal product. Canon will happily eleave the marginal products to other manufacturers like FujiFilm.

It might be better to focus on the aperture. Having a f/1.4 lens would be nice. Panasonic has one. In fact they have pretty nice set of just two one inch cameras: one high large aperture and one with long zoom.

Upvote 0

traveller said:
mistaspeedy said:

Stating that Nikon is not using a Sony sensor in the D850 is slightly misleading. It appears that they are using Sony technology (Exmor R) with custom modifications designed by Nikon, made on the old Toshiba fab line (now owned by Sony, who acquired Toshiba's sensor business in late 2015). So technically, you could argue that it is not a 100% Sony sensor, but you know what they say about looking, swimming and quacking like a duck...

nope

Upvote 0

VooDooZG said:
traveller said:
mistaspeedy said:

nope

This may be true, or it may not. I've never heard of Funtechtalk.com before your link and they do not state their source. I'm still thinking it's more likely a Sony fab until either Nikon, Sony, or more likely someone like Chipworks do a tear down.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015

powershot2012 said:
Agree. Thought Canon learned a lesson with the G5X I.

At this point only looking forward to the G1X III... Just hope Canon doesn't screw that one up.

Wizardly said:

You just cannot have a large sensor in small form factor:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,534,637,ha,t

G1 X Mark II Depth 66 mm, weight 553 grams. G5 X Depth 44 mm, weight 377 grams.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

okaro said:
powershot2012 said:
Agree. Thought Canon learned a lesson with the G5X I.

At this point only looking forward to the G1X III... Just hope Canon doesn't screw that one up.

Wizardly said:

You just cannot have a large sensor in small form factor:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,534,637,ha,t

G1 X Mark II Depth 66 mm, weight 553 grams. G5 X Depth 44 mm, weight 377 grams.

Clearly somebody forgot to tell that to the designers of the EOS-M http://camerasize.com/compact/#637,351.349,534,ha,t

Upvote 0