More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Canon Price Watch. https://www.cpricewatch.com/contact/

I have bought bodies and lenses via CPW in multiple transactions and I have never had an issue with any transaction, though the actual retailer changes.

Never buy any new Canon gear (and a few other manufacturers) without emailing Gordon over there, he will find you the best possible deal from either USA Canon dealers, Canon Canada dealers, or grey market dealers if that is what you want, it is your choice. You know where the deal is coming from and you are sending the money to a respectable brick and mortar store, they just can't advertise the price because Canon won't let them.

I was nervous initially but as Scott says Gordon is competent and you're purchasing from a well know dealer. In my case I also discussed other items with the dealer and all activities were straight forward and efficient. Both the 1DX2 and 400 DO came from CPW with sizable savings. Not great for the local store. The R I also bought from CPW but I had given the local store the opportunity to match, which they wouldn't (were not too far off but the adapters made the difference).

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I think in the very competitive environment that Canon faces today they will not release it for more than the $6k that the 1dx2 was released at.

That would hold true if it was only a video camera. The specs of this camera are about beating Nikon. There is a long rivalry between Canon and Nikon. Plus Sony doesn’t seem to be interested in being cutting edge anymore. Look at the A9II.

Expect an MSRP of $6500 - $7k. Hoping for less will likely leave you disappointed.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I was nervous initially but as Scott says Gordon is competent and you're purchasing from a well know dealer. In my case I also discussed other items with the dealer and all activities were straight forward and efficient. Both the 1DX2 and 400 DO came from CPW with sizable savings. Not great for the local store. The R I also bought from CPW but I had given the local store the opportunity to match, which they wouldn't (were not too far off but the adapters made the difference).

Jack

That poor local store is going out of business because of you. :sneaky:

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It is perplexing to me that the 1Dx series is so much louder than the 5D series. I understand that it has something to do with frame rate and I accept it as a fact of life, but it does make the 1Dx unusable in some situations. I don't expect my 1Dx to be as silent as my R, but it would be nice if it could come a little closer to the 5D.
It helps if you're losing your hearing like me ... otherwise I'd probably be too embarrassed to shoot with it. ;)

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
That poor local store is going out of business because of you. :sneaky:
That does bother me a bit. I was prepared to take a hit on the price if they came close enough but they declined. Ultimately, it's going to be tough for all local retailers and we may end up being the losers.

Jack

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical of an AF trackpad, given how bad the M-fn bar on the EOS R is... Would love to see something better than a joystick. I like using the touch-screen on my R to move the AF point, but hate how easy it is to accidentally move it with my nose (or, how you can't even use it if you have your screen flipped in).
I HATE the M-fn bar and have turned it off completely... BUT- I *love* the AF tracking on the touchscreen. Really missed the joystick at first and took a long time to get used to it, but it was really the latest firmware update that made AF tracking so much better. The only downside is I have to move my eye slightly off the viewfinder if I really want to slide around quickly. If the 1dx mIII has a dedicated trackpad instead of using the read screen, that would pretty much solve my last remaining qualm with the AF point selection.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
If somebody has a working camera and doesn't need an immediate upgrade, the $500 might be worth it to him/her. And if we occasionally, due to excitement or actual need, buy something at the release price, it might not mean much in the scheme of our finances. However, by waiting for price drops consistently, you start adding up $500 here, $300 there, $1000 on another item...Before you know, you're starting to talk about some real money.

And you are the one talking about price, so I thought it meant something to you.
Well, the prices here, since I don't live in the US are subject to the currency exchange rate, taxes, VAT etc...

• Sad
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
They should have made a mirrorless 1DX III , Canon is so far behind the curve :sleep:
They will, it just won't be anything except a Mark l. Which isn't a Mark l until there's a Mark ll ;)

All you need is patience and understanding of product cycles, R&D, market research and tooling. Ok? Now, where were we?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Having owned the 1DX and 1DXII, two things with this announcement seems like a bummer to me. First, using a 1D camera in live view isn’t very tempting. The ergonomics, controls and weight of the camera is designed for viewfinder shooting. Improving live view functionality (such as those announced in this rumor) would be wasted for my personal use of a 1D camera. Second, a touch pad for controlling the AF may be awkward when using gloves. It actually works somewhat on the EOS R, but it doesn’t replace the tactile feedback you get from a joystick.

Since the improvements of the 1DXIII to a large degree seems to be linked to live view and dual pixel AF, I would really hope that it comes with both an EVF and OVF, as seen in the Fuji 100-series.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Having owned the 1DX and 1DXII, two things with this announcement seems like a bummer to me. First, using a 1D camera in live view isn’t very tempting. The ergonomics, controls and weight of the camera is designed for viewfinder shooting.
The camera is as well designed for remote shooting, where OVF is useless.

We are yet to see if it has an ergonomically compatible HDMI EVF.

Second, a touch pad for controlling the AF may be awkward when using gloves. It actually works somewhat on the EOS R, but it doesn’t replace the tactile feedback you get from a joystick.
What if it has a laser sensor akin to one of all-surfaces mouse, and not a touchpad?

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
4k 8bit footage is fine from the gh5/sony a7iii and eos r its fine with that, 4k 10bit 422 is what is more difficult it takes forever to render preview and scrub into order to edit for a 3 minute 10bit 422 file it took over an hr to just render preview the footage.
I'm seriously not joking. 3 years has made a lot of progress on your spec'd system.

Upvote 0
Even iPhones shoot 4K.
Why the hell can't we get at least 6K by now?

This old chestnut :rolleyes:

Leaving aside the technical reasons (for instance, that it's easier to pull 4K from a smaller sensor) and the fact that 4K (or any given resolution) doesn't look the same/have the same quality on a phone compared to a dedicated camera, why are you even comparing unalike products? iPhones and 1-series DSLRs are different devices, for different jobs, aimed at different markets. The 1Dx3 also won't run apps or make phone calls - I'm being a bit flippant but fundamentally it's the same issue. Just because one device does X doesn't mean device Y should.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
To be REVOLUTIONARY instead of just 'our best version yet because we improved a few things' it would need to offer 6k video.
Everyone mastering in 4K wants to be able to crop in. Shooting video in 4k is the past, not the future.
Is my assumption correct that your post is jokingly intended? Because pretty much nobody who shoots in 4K is concerned about cropping down to 4K from 6k.

Upvote 0