More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

scyrene said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
rrcphoto said:
sure if you want to wear a tin foil hat and assume that for some reason the 80D improvements and the 1DX Mark II improvements vanish with the 5D mark IV even though it uses the same styled of sensor.

so there's almost a great deal of likelihood that the improvements seen on the 1Dx MarK II will carry forward.

to think otherwise, is pretty weird.

it's precisely the 1DX2 and 80D that have us worried! they don't match Exmor even of a few years ago never mind currently or in the next year or two and more importantly, they just don't quite add enough to comfortably pull off lots of landscape stuff where you need more DR while the Exmor stuff now just manages enough

The 1DxII has more DR at base ISO than the D5, and that is its only direct competitor. So other cameras have more - they aren't in the same category, so they aren't really relevant.

Given your comments here are relentlessly negative, why not just give up and accept the 5D4 isn't for you (whatever they do, it won't be enough), and buy a D810 or its successor?

I've already partly given up and gotten a Sony and haven't purchased anything of any sort from Canon in a while now. I may eventually just have to go all Nikon but it would be nice to be able to stick with my lenses (which are a little bit nicer from Canon plus swapping super-tele over, especially having got back when they didn't cost as much, is a pretty vicious hit the pocket) and the Canon UI, but I'm more and more thinking it's hopeless to think Canon will ever bother to really catch Sony for sensors or video again. Hopefully Nikon won't bungle up the video in the D820 and give it full A7R II or better video. An A7R II (or even some III tech by then) in a DSLR body, without any video/liveview bungling by Nikon, would be one heck of nice thing. Anyway at least Sony makes stuff that works with adapted Canon lenses for now. A pain in a few ways and a pain in that it can't do it all so still need the 5D3 for more action type stuff, but man the A7R II does deliver.

I still had a bit of hope for the 5D4 again, but have less hope now that neither 80D nor 1DX2 can deliver exmor and it sounds like the 5D4 video won't oversample (or have something new like 10bits to make up for other stuff) and probably won't have 100% focus box or any other basic usability features. Hope they pull it off, but they just seem to have turned into such a conservative company. I still recall the day they became followers and I knew it would be trouble for the future. Way back at the show in Europe where their rep was bragging about how Canon was the king of the hill and Canon didn't have to bother, we are years ahead of Nikon who can't even make FF, so why should we bother, we are kings of the hill, Nikon will never catch us, nobody can catch us, why do we need to improve FF body peformance, we are the kings, we ARE THE KINGS OF THE HILL AND WE DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!!!!!!! if anyone does something we have so much time to react so we have no need to do anything! Why do we need to do anything! We are kings of the hill!!!!

Yeah well infinitely far behind Nikon came out with FF less than a year later and Sony now wipes Canon for sensors every which way. And everyone wipes them for video. Ah whatever, just a shame, as I really do like Canon, but what can you do. They wanna sit and milk and be followers, as kings I guess they can, just have to move on, not the Canon I long knew though, oh well.

Anyway maybe somehow there will be a nice surprise. Not really counting on it anymore, but see what they produce.

And the reason I started going negative way back was so that we'd never end up in this position years later where Canon ended up totally blowing their dominance in sensors and video (don't forget how for the entire early period of DSLRs it was the sensors that brought people to Canon as their bodies often had worse features (if much nicer UI), but man they had those amazing sensors, the Canon crowd used to always go on about the sensors and then for a while it was the same for DSLR video (if you can deal with really annoying mega RAW files, 5D3 with ML RAW does deliver pretty fine 1080p video and is still tops and again, only thanks to ML, gets the critical basic usability features, so ML kinda saved the 5D3 regarding video, but RAW video is a real storage killer and eventually gets to be a bit of a drag, but you can get some very fine 1080p video out of it you go through the trouble, you can even do relatively unique things like produce wide gamut video; one wonders if 5D4 ever gets those capabilites, it could easily be and stay worse to use and much worse for 1080p if adding 4k which is of course awesome).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Dave Del Real said:
unfocused said:
I'd even go so far as to say I'd gladly pay for a firmware upgrade that would add this capability to the 7DII and 1Dx II.

I'd pay for a firmware update to the 7D2 to allow 4K video.

As has been discussed quite thoroughly by people who know far more about it than I do, it seems that adding 4K video requires much more than a firmware update. There are hardware considerations as well. I don't know if hardware would be required for the focus adjustment, but it seems much more likely that any dual pixel camera might be able to have this feature added through software.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
unfocused said:
Dave Del Real said:
unfocused said:
I'd even go so far as to say I'd gladly pay for a firmware upgrade that would add this capability to the 7DII and 1Dx II.

As has been discussed quite thoroughly by people who know far more about it than I do, it seems that adding 4K video requires much more than a firmware update. There are hardware considerations as well. I don't know if hardware would be required for the focus adjustment, but it seems much more likely that any dual pixel camera might be able to have this feature added through software.

heat management is a pretty big issue as well.

speaking of the 7D2 .. we haven't heard much of that patch lately.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
LetTheRightLensIn said:
scyrene said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
rrcphoto said:
sure if you want to wear a tin foil hat and assume that for some reason the 80D improvements and the 1DX Mark II improvements vanish with the 5D mark IV even though it uses the same styled of sensor.

so there's almost a great deal of likelihood that the improvements seen on the 1Dx MarK II will carry forward.

it's precisely the 1DX2 and 80D that have us worried! they don't match Exmor even of a few years ago never mind currently or in the next year or two and more importantly, they just don't quite add enough to comfortably pull off lots of landscape stuff where you need more DR while the Exmor stuff now just manages enough

The 1DxII has more DR at base ISO than the D5, and that is its only direct competitor. So other cameras have more - they aren't in the same category, so they aren't really relevant.

Given your comments here are relentlessly negative, why not just give up and accept the 5D4 isn't for you (whatever they do, it won't be enough), and buy a D810 or its successor?

I've already partly given up and gotten a Sony and haven't purchased anything of any sort from Canon in a while now. I may eventually just have to go all Nikon but it would be nice to be able to stick with my lenses (which are a little bit nicer from Canon plus swapping super-tele over, especially having got back when they didn't cost as much, is a pretty vicious hit the pocket) and the Canon UI, but I'm more and more thinking it's hopeless to think Canon will ever bother to really catch Sony for sensors or video again. Hopefully Nikon won't bungle up the video in the D820 and give it full A7R II or better video. An A7R II (or even some III tech by then) in a DSLR body, without any video/liveview bungling by Nikon, would be one heck of nice thing. Anyway at least Sony makes stuff that works with adapted Canon lenses for now. A pain in a few ways and a pain in that it can't do it all so still need the 5D3 for more action type stuff, but man the A7R II does deliver.

I still had a bit of hope for the 5D4 again, but have less hope now that neither 80D nor 1DX2 can deliver exmor and it sounds like the 5D4 video won't oversample (or have something new like 10bits to make up for other stuff) and probably won't have 100% focus box or any other basic usability features. Hope they pull it off, but they just seem to have turned into such a conservative company. I still recall the day they became followers and I knew it would be trouble for the future. Way back at the show in Europe where their rep was bragging about how Canon was the king of the hill and Canon didn't have to bother, we are years ahead of Nikon who can't even make FF, so why should we bother, we are kings of the hill, Nikon will never catch us, nobody can catch us, why do we need to improve FF body peformance, we are the kings, we ARE THE KINGS OF THE HILL AND WE DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!!!!!!! if anyone does something we have so much time to react so we have no need to do anything! Why do we need to do anything! We are kings of the hill!!!!

Yeah well infinitely far behind Nikon came out with FF less than a year later and Sony now wipes Canon for sensors every which way. And everyone wipes them for video. Ah whatever, just a shame, as I really do like Canon, but what can you do. They wanna sit and milk and be followers, as kings I guess they can, just have to move on, not the Canon I long knew though, oh well.

Anyway maybe somehow there will be a nice surprise. Not really counting on it anymore, but see what they produce.

And the reason I started going negative way back was so that we'd never end up in this position years later where Canon ended up totally blowing their dominance in sensors and video (don't forget how for the entire early period of DSLRs it was the sensors that brought people to Canon as their bodies often had worse features (if much nicer UI), but man they had those amazing sensors, the Canon crowd used to always go on about the sensors and then for a while it was the same for DSLR video (if you can deal with really annoying mega RAW files, 5D3 with ML RAW does deliver pretty fine 1080p video and is still tops and again, only thanks to ML, gets the critical basic usability features, so ML kinda saved the 5D3 regarding video, but RAW video is a real storage killer and eventually gets to be a bit of a drag, but you can get some very fine 1080p video out of it you go through the trouble, you can even do relatively unique things like produce wide gamut video; one wonders if 5D4 ever gets those capabilites, it could easily be and stay worse to use and much worse for 1080p if adding 4k which is of course awesome).

Why torture yourself by moping around CR, just go out and buy the best and you'll be happy. If I felt like you do about Canon I'd have left long ago. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jack

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
Wesley said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Wesley said:
The 1DX-II already has Sony DR and then some albeit lower MP and sharpness.

You need to compare at the same scale and use the Print not Screen option, so no, compared fairly, it does not.

I was not aware that you can get more DR by downsizing the image...this is true? ???

Not just more DR, more of everything except resolution. Normalization is a pseudo-science popularized by DXO among some photographers. The idea is that you can't compare apples with oranges, they are different, so you must first convert both to grapefruit and decide which one is tastier.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Wesley said:
3kramd5 said:
At the risk of getting my hopes up over unconfirmed capabilities, if Canon T Engineer called me up as said "two options: 1. we increase the DR of your 5D by 2EV, or 2. we enable you to adjust the focus in post by up to approximately an eyelash's length, I'd jump at the second option. Jump. For my usage, that would save far more photos than would be made possible by the additional range.

Do you have your AF calibrated?
Saving photos by changing focus within eyelash length seems more like a back/front focus issue.
I'd rather calibrate than shoot double the image size & use Canon DPP.

Yes, my lenses are calibrated on all my DSLR bodies, and my AF isn't infallible. Sometimes eyelashes are in front of pupils.

Upvote 0
K said:
I'm expecting the dynamic range to be better than the 80D, but weaker than the 1DX2.

It is very hard to imagine the 5D4's sensor besting the 1DX2 sensor on anything except for megapixels.

At ISO 100, they will all be close, but the fall off (curve) will be between 80D and 1DX2. That's my guess.

Good Guess.

If it's just 1/3 stop better than the 6D I'll be perfectly OK with it.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Wesley said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Wesley said:
The 1DX-II already has Sony DR and then some albeit lower MP and sharpness.

You need to compare at the same scale and use the Print not Screen option, so no, compared fairly, it does not.

I was not aware that you can get more DR by downsizing the image...this is true? ???

If one defines DR as a function of FWC/noise, since downsampling reduces noise (averaging), it increases DR.

You can play that game until all cameras are equal (two adjacent pixels, one white and one black), but if you choose a consistent output size somewhere in between (in the case of that chart: 8x10 at 300ppi, I believe), you get different numbers.

There are multiple ways to view the data. If you typically fill the frame, then "print" in DXOs lexicon is perhaps applicable. If you crop, screen is perhaps applicable. In the end it's just numbers which have very little impact on average photography. Scenes of course exist in which range exceeds that of the camera and there is no way to augment it, but I find that the extra range of my Sony (A7R2) is rarely enough to make a shot that my canons (5D3) aren't capable of. YMMV.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Dave Del Real said:
unfocused said:

I only bring it up again because memory strings have already been found for 2K4K video recording by the ML crew a long time ago. It was suggested then that maybe a future firmware update might unlock this feature. It's not impossible that the hardware is already capable of dissipating heat, supplying a 4K readout, etc. Obviously if Canon were to unlock 4K it would seem that they had planned it all along. The CF slot is more than fast enough for 24p/30p 4K - albeit the lame 8 bit 4.2.0 h.264 codec though. Still, I wouldn't mind it. I think that takes care of the hardware considerations you speak of.

Also, since it seems that there probably won't be a 7D update until 2018, Canon has to do something to keep this thing relevant.

Upvote 0
Diltiazem said:
Not just more DR, more of everything except resolution. Normalization is a pseudo-science popularized by DXO among some photographers. The idea is that you can't compare apples with oranges, they are different, so you must first convert both to grapefruit and decide which one is tastier.

What does it have to with DxO?

Normalization has been used in science/math for ages. The fact that you refer to it as pseudo-science is pseudo-science.

You have to compare things at the same scale.

How about this.... let us say you have two square sheets of gold 1cm thick. You photograph both from the same distance, using the same lens set at the same focal point, using the same size sensor with two cameras, the only difference being one camera has 9MP and the other camera has 36MP. Now let us say gold 1cm thick costs $10 per pixel with that setup using the 9MP sensor. And let us say it measures 10pixels x 10 pixels on that camera. But now how about I instead present you a photo of the sheet of gold for sale taken with the 36MP camera and I show you that the gold sheet covers 20x20 pixels and say that I have a great discount and charge only $9 per pixel instead of $10 and offer it to you for 20x20x$9, do you take the deal? ;)

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
I was wrong. I was comparing two different data sources.

Using DXO's data (which is good to make a point, because of their anti-Canon bias) ...

The 1DX2 is only 1/2 stop under Sony's latest and greatest at ISO 100 & 200, then identical the rest of the way up.

Only the D810's sensor has a full stop advantage at ISO 64 and 100 only. Then it is even for a stop or two, then is a full stop weaker going up.

It will be very pleasant surprise if the 5D4's DR matches the 1DX2. It is said that DR is not tied to megapixels...

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
scyrene said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
rrcphoto said:

*snip*

You can type long posts about your mythical perfect camera all your life or buy a 1DX-II since you already have Canon lenses.
The post right before yours from rccphoto shows less than half stop DR difference from 100-200 and negligible onward.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Wesley said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
scyrene said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
rrcphoto said:

*snip*

You can type long posts about your mythical perfect camera all your life or buy a 1DX-II since you already have Canon lenses.
The post right before yours from rccphoto shows less than half stop DR difference from 100-200 and negligible onward.

The cost differential isn't negligible however.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Wesley said:
3kramd5 said:
At the risk of getting my hopes up over unconfirmed capabilities, if Canon T Engineer called me up as said "two options: 1. we increase the DR of your 5D by 2EV, or 2. we enable you to adjust the focus in post by up to approximately an eyelash's length, I'd jump at the second option. Jump. For my usage, that would save far more photos than would be made possible by the additional range.

Saving photos by changing focus within eyelash length seems more like a back/front focus issue.

Yes, my lenses are calibrated on all my DSLR bodies, and my AF isn't infallible. Sometimes eyelashes are in front of pupils.

I would recommend focusing where it says "caruncula lacrimalis". It is harder to focus on pupil especially darker iris and susceptible by the eyelashes.

https://s10.postimg.org/ot2nmadjd/eye_A.jpg

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Wesley said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
scyrene said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
rrcphoto said:

*snip*

Strictly by camera cost? Yes, but LetTheRightLensIn never originally complained about cost & owns super-teles.
You won't find super-teles in FE mount and long range is currently the weakest link for the A7's mirrorless AF system.

For anyone else, jumping ship costs more money.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Wesley said:
3kramd5 said:
Wesley said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
scyrene said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
rrcphoto said:

*snip*

Strictly by camera cost? Yes, but LetTheRightLensIn never originally complained about cost & owns super-teles.
You won't find super-teles in FE mount and long range is currently the weakest link for the A7's mirrorless AF system.

For anyone else, jumping ship costs more money.

Yes, strictly bodies. Someone who chases down the 1DxII for dynamic range is barking up the wrong tree. I'd rather have a 1DxII than any current Sony body every day of the week, but it's cost prohibitive. Granted, I spent more than the cost of a 1DxII buying Sony stuff (A7RII body + metabones adapter [my second, I owned an older model with the A7R] + two Zeiss lenses), but the purchases allow me to keep using much of my infrastructure, and with native FE lenses fave me a compelling capability for a major section of my shooting (EyeAF). That being said, for almost anyone, changing systems entirely is almost always going to be a financially losing battle.

Wesley said:
3kramd5 said:
Wesley said:
3kramd5 said:

I would recommend focusing where it says "caruncula lacrimalis". It is harder to focus on pupil especially darker iris and susceptible by the eyelashes.

https://s10.postimg.org/ot2nmadjd/eye_A.jpg

I'll give it a shot!

Either way, just like my AF system is not infallible, I am not infallible, and I'd gladly trade a little bit of post-processing focus adjustment for a little bit less noise in the shadows!

edit: oh, just to keep this on topic, I fully intend to buy a 5D4!

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Yes it most certainly is. What I meant by compelling capability is that with EyeAF and a flip screen I can shoot portraits of moving models with the camera held significantly away from my face (arms outstretched), facilitating angles which would be significantly difficult otherwise.

Like my 5D stable, it EyeAF is not infallible and I often hit lashes, especially when shooting as described above. I'd love to be able to adjust them in post!

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Yes it most certainly is. What I meant by compelling capability is that with EyeAF and a flip screen I can shoot portraits of moving models with the camera held significantly away from my face (arms outstretched), facilitating angles which would be significantly difficult otherwise.

Like my 5D stable, it EyeAF is not infallible and I often hit lashes, especially when shooting as described above. I'd love to be able to adjust them in post!

I see. Don't know how extreme your angles are so can't really imagine what type of portraits you're shooting.
Are you further back more to give extra space around the frame because of moving portrait? If so, even a single AF point could be too big since it cover the whole eye area and that's when it gets the eyelash sometime.

Upvote 0