More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

Jul 28, 2015
naylor83 said:
ut I think we can trust Canon to underdeliver on its potential.

Having waited eagerly for the 7D2 to come out and the discussions around its delay, my reading is quite different in that Canon will only release a function when they know it works. There is a difference between what is technically possible and what is reliable.
I think this is also why their teleconverters actively block AF once the aperture reaches f8/f11 (depending on the model) and why they do not make ridiculous claims like Nikon about ISO 3,000,000.

Upvote 0
vishaltpt said:
Very very Underwhelmed with the specs of 5D4 :(

I was hoping for at least 36mp with No ALF (variable ALF like rxr2) for sharper images, great low light, DR & some new technology derived from the Mirrorless world....something vow like what 5D2 offered when released.

...How is this camera any better than Sony a7r2 / s2 , Nikon 810 ??? which are at their end life cycles & nearing upgrades themselves.

I don't think I can stick with this 5D4 for the next 4 years. Come on be realistic !! Canon philosophy with the 5D line seems to be 'Let's give them just a little so as not to jeopardize their higher end cameras/cine Line'. Canon is still playing the catch up game.Very soon we'll have the Hasselblad X1 medium format mirrorless, the pentax 645Z2, a7r3,.... coming to market. Way Better Image quality & prices are coming down.

I was waiting to upgrade from the 5D2. As a stills photographer & occasional video (70:30 ratio) ...the 5D3 did not offer much so was waiting for the 5D4...and now....this is not significant motivation enough for me to push the $$'s canon's way....I was sitting on the fence with the sony system with the new awesome GMaster pro & batis ,loxia lenses. Now I would be looking at the SONY a7r2 - a7r3 seriously....the awful battery life on the Sony, a general reluctance to switch & huge canon lens collection is what is holding me back tough....but imho still sticking with 5d4 now when there are so many choices would be a dodo approach...I want the best that's available & pl don't say go buy the 5DSR!! it has many issues & is very niche for my needs.

Whats wrong with the a7r2? i have had it for almost a year and since owning it, i have barely used my 5d3 as the a7r2 is superior in IQ, compactness and features.

In terms of battery life, you can get a battery grip and it still a bit lighter then carrying a 5d3.

If the mythical A9 does what its rumoured to do(unlimited buffer raw shots, 70mp version, same build/size as a 5d3) im afraid this 5d4 could be dead by the end of the year.

Already as you say you can grab the holy grail of zooms in 2.8 fashion thats as good as the canon's plus zeiss primes! the lenses are coming rapidly mate on the sony front!

Upvote 0
これまでに無い後処理の調整が可能なデュアルピクセルRAWファイル

The Google translation is totally mangled: "ever possible to no post-processing of the adjustment dual pixel RAW file".

I would translate that as "dual pixel RAW files open up previously unobtainable degrees of latitude in post-production processing". Or more literally "dual pixel RAW files opens up possibilities in post-processing adjustments that we previous did not have"

Upvote 0

azizjhn

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2012
;D Great News for me it is everything I wished for my next camera since I'm using 6D right now except there is no flip out screen

- 7 FPS with better autofocus
- 4K with DPAF
- Touch screen
- Nice they added a GPS & Wifi at least I'm not gonna lose it ::)
- Dual Card Slots
- Timelapse

Anything else is welcome addition.
now I'm waiting for the price

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I've updated the post with an explanation of Dual Pixel RAW.

“The way Dual Pixel works, 30MP DP sensor means a 60MP dual pixel raw file with a new RRGGGGBB pattern (vs RGGB), so potentially better dynamic range, and maybe an improved debayering algorithm.” @duvrai via Twitter

Upvote 0

azizjhn

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
I've updated the post with an explanation of Dual Pixel RAW.

“The way Dual Pixel works, 30MP DP sensor means a 60MP dual pixel raw file with a new RRGGGGBB pattern (vs RGGB), so potentially better dynamic range, and maybe an improved debayering algorithm.” @duvrai via Twitter

I wish it is something close to X-trans pattern so they can remove the AA filter to get even more sharper image

Upvote 0
jonneymendoza said:
If the mythical A9 does what its rumoured to do(unlimited buffer raw shots, 70mp version, same build/size as a 5d3) im afraid this 5d4 could be dead by the end of the year.

Already as you say you can grab the holy grail of zooms in 2.8 fashion thats as good as the canon's plus zeiss primes! the lenses are coming rapidly mate on the sony front!
I am willing to bet that the 5DIV will outperform any comparable Sony camera by a significant margin in volumes, value and lifespan. I wonder what features you refer to that "kill" Canon?

A 70MP Sony camera would have very limited value for the majority of users, because getting any return on that massive resolutin is rather difficult and you would have to spend a fortune on lenses, of which there aren't that many (unless you go for adapters). And limitless buffer depth for raws, at 70MP ..., good luck with your post processing and storage procurements.

Yes, Sony are releasing new lenses and they also have some very attractive lenses from Zeiss. All at a very higt cost and the reviews of the Sony lenses are not exactly raving. And; they don't reach Canon's offering to their knees and their service sucks. Three key lenses: 16-35/4: Sony: $1348, Canon: $999. 24-70/2.8: Sony: $2198, Canon: $1799. 70-200/2.8: Sony: $2598, Canon: $1999. Canon provides higher quality and a $1347 saving.

There are lots of unknowns about the 5DIV, even though we have a few spec items clarified, so to pass bastant judgement at this stage looks a bit foolish. DR, noise and high ISO performance, low light AF, buffer depth ... etc. To me, this looks to be a very capable camera for the user community it is addressing and I am really looking forward to read the first deep dives.

Upvote 0
vishaltpt said:
I was waiting to upgrade from the 5D2. As a stills photographer & occasional video (70:30 ratio) ...the 5D3 did not offer much so was waiting for the 5D4...and now....this is not significant motivation enough for me to push the $$'s canon's way....

If you see no advances from 5D2-> 5D3 -> 5D4 then perhaps upgrading bodies is not your thing..I get it. But as a working professional, I saw a HUGE leap from 2->3 and a marginal leap (in pre-release mumblings) to the MkIV, which makes me hesitate. But not for 3 full upgrades.

Upvote 0
To echo a lot of the negative sentiment that will ultimately come about from ANY new camera release.

It's about the individual needs of the user. Any camera I use must be lightweight and have features that allow me to make an exposure as quickly as possible.

The 1DX2 doesn't have the resolution I need, it's way too loud and way too heavy to shoot handheld for 12 hours with.

On a side note, I hear what some are saying about Canon protecting their pro line up but it shouldn't mean punching professional wedding photographers in the face. If it had the 1DX2 button configuration options and CF menu system I'd be pretty made up. But I doubt it will and makes it no better than what I already have.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:

I am willing to bet that the 5DIV will outperform any comparable Sony camera by a significant margin in volumes, value and lifespan. I wonder what features you refer to that "kill" Canon?

A 70MP Sony camera would have very limited value for the majority of users, because getting any return on that massive resolutin is rather difficult and you would have to spend a fortune on lenses, of which there aren't that many (unless you go for adapters). And limitless buffer depth for raws, at 70MP ..., good luck with your post processing and storage procurements.

Yes, Sony are releasing new lenses and they also have some very attractive lenses from Zeiss. All at a very higt cost and the reviews of the Sony lenses are not exactly raving. And; they don't reach Canon's offering to their knees and their service sucks. Three key lenses: 16-35/4: Sony: $1348, Canon: $999. 24-70/2.8: Sony: $2198, Canon: $1799. 70-200/2.8: Sony: $2598, Canon: $1999. Canon provides higher quality and a $1347 saving.

There are lots of unknowns about the 5DIV, even though we have a few spec items clarified, so to pass bastant judgement at this stage looks a bit foolish. DR, noise and high ISO performance, low light AF, buffer depth ... etc. To me, this looks to be a very capable camera for the user community it is addressing and I am really looking forward to read the first deep dives.

value?

Well when both the 5ds and a7r2 came out, the a7r2 had more features and better value in my book.

right now, the canon cameras are more robust and have better AF. no ifs or buts about that.

Do you mean sales volume? who cares, this is not iphone. Canon outsells Nikon in every shape or form. does that mean Nikon suck in every department?

Matter of fact, D810/D750 looks slightly more attractive then this 5d4!!

What would be your excuse when Nikon announces a D900 that quite possibly will blow away the 5d4?

Its not just the sony that canon need to look out for. what about nikon?

Upvote 0

azizjhn

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2012
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:

value?

Well when both the 5ds and a7r2 came out, the a7r2 had more features and better value in my book.

right now, the canon cameras are more robust and have better AF. no ifs or buts about that.

Do you mean sales volume? who cares, this is not iphone. Canon outsells Nikon in every shape or form. does that mean Nikon suck in every department?

What would be your excuse when Nikon announces a D900 that quite possibly will blow away the 5d4?

"Matter of fact, D810/D750 looks slightly more attractive then this 5d4!!" How ??

"What would be your excuse when Nikon announces a D900 that quite possibly will blow away the 5d4?"
You mean Sony Ar2 sensor with D5 Autofocus with 4K without DPAF & inferior low light performance due to higher megapixel & less FPS.
I think it will be like 5D3 vs D810. The 5D4 will be superior all-rounder & the D900 or whatever the name is will be better for high detail photography which it will be beating the 5DS.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a rumour that Sony will produce a 75MP camera with unlimited buffer. However, that is more a result of SAR failing to screen out nutty rumours and feeding the mindless masses with any fantasy they are fed just as clickbait. A 75MP camera will NOT have unlimited buffer. I am always amazed at the gullibility of Sony fanboys, and their willingness to believe anything they read on the internet.

Also, Sony semiconductors has a consistent track record of never allowing the format below to exceed the resolution of the next format above it. The next format above FF is 4433 medium format, which is currently stuck at 51MP. Hasselblad just released a camera based on the 51MP 4433 sensor, and Fuji is rumoured to be developing a camera based on this sensor. It would totally destroy confidence in Sony semiconductors if Sony cameras released a 75MP FF camera now (especially as the semiconductor firm and the camera firm are now two separate companies). Given that Sony semiconductors have consistently never allowed the format below to surpass the resolution of the next format above it, without exceptional reason to think otherwise, there are absolutely no grounds whatsoever to speculate that the semiconductor firm would suddenly start to change their practice now.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Rejay14 said:
vishaltpt said:
I was waiting to upgrade from the 5D2. As a stills photographer & occasional video (70:30 ratio) ...the 5D3 did not offer much so was waiting for the 5D4...and now....this is not significant motivation enough for me to push the $$'s canon's way....

If you see no advances from 5D2-> 5D3 -> 5D4 then perhaps upgrading bodies is not your thing..I get it. But as a working professional, I saw a HUGE leap from 2->3 and a marginal leap (in pre-release mumblings) to the MkIV, which makes me hesitate. But not for 3 full upgrades.

The 5D line was basically split in 2012. The 5D3 was a clear move upwards in terms of capabilities and that was also reflected in the price. It is telling that Canon continued to sell the 5D2 in parallel with its "successor" until autumn 2012... when the 6D was released. The 5D4, on the other hand, is a "natural" successor to the 5D3.

Upvote 0
Rejay14 said:
vishaltpt said:

Probably depends much on what's important to you.

To me picture IQ counts the most and here the difference between 5D2 and 5D3 was almost zero.

I think the leap this time around may be much bigger than anything the 5D3 offers.

However, generally its probably always wise to consider "jumping" camera generations to get better glass. You can get some very serious lenses for 3.500$.

Upvote 0
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:

value?

Sales volume and monetary value.

Yes, Nikon is most likely more of a threat than Sony. A Nikon D900, which is something I am sure the Nikon camp is dreaming of, may well be a great camera. Just like the D810 is a great camera, with a much better sensor than the 5DIII, but with some faults. Canon could make the 5DIV better than it will be, but they save for the next version and to separate their various models. If the D900 is good enough, they will be forced to release stuff a little earlier, which benefits us.

If you limit your lenses to just a few, it is of less cosequence to jump camp. However, for the majority of serious shooters, the investments in glass keeps you with your brand. Unless it becomes too painful.

Upvote 0
Now, suddenly there's a spec list that may make me even preorder! Cannot wait to see what this new double format brings to the table. Just a few RAW files to study before release please.

To me this seems like the innovative jump I have been waiting for Canon to take for so long.

To those already complaining about 30 MPIX - lets see how many of you end up not using this function to avoid the resulting 60 MPIX RAW files. :eek:

Anyway, my CF cards, PC and hard drives are all upgraded and ready for 100 MB files - just bring it on. ;D

Go Canon!

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:

value?

Sales volume and monetary value.

Yes, Nikon is most likely more of a threat than Sony. A Nikon D900, which is something I am sure the Nikon camp is dreaming of, may well be a great camera. Just like the D810 is a great camera, with a much better sensor than the 5DIII, but with some faults. Canon could make the 5DIV better than it will be, but they save for the next version and to separate their various models. If the D900 is good enough, they will be forced to release stuff a little earlier, which benefits us.

If you limit your lenses to just a few, it is of less cosequence to jump camp. However, for the majority of serious shooters, the investments in glass keeps you with your brand. Unless it becomes too painful.

i got lots of canon glasses but keeping my wallet closed to jump ship to sony.

For me, using both sony and canon is the perfect mix for me. Sony for travel, street and landscape and the canon for photo shoots and action stuff.

The thing is, i am not a blind canon fanboy. i appreciate stuff coming from any brand and i would jump ship if i know one camp is better then the other. Life is too short to be a fanboy of a brand. You aint married to a brand for petes sake and you can easily sell your L glasses for near same retail you got it for.

Upvote 0
Diko said:
rushfan21122 said:
Specs:

ISO: 100-102400 (extension) standard ISO up to 32000

Finally! ISO digits rumor.

However alongside the rest of the new and/or updated features most of which could be available already in 2012. :/

Back then they would be trully inovative.

Hate me for my opinion as much as you like I have been around for a while so most probably I have already read your opinion about Canon (milking or profit-oriented company ideas) somewhere else in this forum ;)

5D3 iso claim was a (very) bad joke. Banding and all. Already with the 5DS/R Canon showed very good progress on every single aspect of the 5D3 sensor. I expect 5DIV to be two full stop better than 5D3 - for real + no banding.

Upvote 0