Mushrooms And Fungi Of Any Kind

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I prefer shorter focal length for mushrooms. If they are that large You don`t even need a mocro lens.

Two versions of the same series of in body focus bracketing. First made of 22, second made of 36 single pictures.
R5 + RF35 @ f/4
View attachment 206923View attachment 206924

@ all
Which version do You prefer?
If I need to ID the fungus I would prefer the second one (more info from different fruit bodies)! If I want to isolate particular fruit bodies from the group I will prefer the technique applied in the first photo! On other hand in this particular case I like more the second photo - my brain feels somehow more relaxed watching it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
One more - a tiny (say 3mm) transparent fungi on a bushrock wall, with a raindrop in its cup - it was gone when I walked back 15 minutes later:

View attachment 207025
It's the same Mycena sp. on both photos. Very similar in the outer features as the Mycena alphitophora that we have on Hawaii.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
One more - a tiny (say 3mm) transparent fungi on a bushrock wall, with a raindrop in its cup - it was gone when I walked back 15 minutes later:

View attachment 207025
You missed your chance. If you had waited around not more than 15 minutes you could have caught it in flight.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
If you had waited around not more than 15 minutes you could have caught it in flight.
They are sooooo fast!!!!:eek: That's why there are no pictures of mushrooms in flight!!!!:alien:

OK, I couldn't focus stack them so here is a common one:
28 single pictures, R5 + RF 100 @ f/5 + LED by cell phone
LED.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
They are sooooo fast!!!!:eek: That's why there are no pictures of mushrooms in flight!!!!:alien:

Nicely done, Nemorino.
a025.gif

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018

View attachment 207095
Congratulations on keeping a realistic background in a 28 photo stack!!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
This is one of the tiniest fungi I've taken - with the old EF24-70 f4, which had (has!) an excellent macro performance. Only a couple of mm each (for the cups), natural light:
View attachment 207024
I like mine (EF 24-70) too. A very sharp lens, in my opinion better than my RF 24-105.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Why not? Do You think it is a high or a low number?

Laowa 60mm macro + R5
33 picture focus stack
View attachment 207116
I thought it was a very high number (I know people stack into the 100s). From my point of view, I aim as much for an artistic background as I do for full (or partial) clarity in the subject fungi - so I look at your image above and see a crystal clear fungi, but also a great background, without the sort of syncopated blur I see in some stacks.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
The number of frames depends on the magnification, the look of the BG on the distances subject-BG/camera -subject, focal lenght and aperture.
The distance in the first picture is small and I got that look. But it was the second rendering, the first was made of 69 frames.
But I didn't want to edit the halo and I didn't liked the "sticker-look". This shows why some experienced stackers choose a blurred BG when framing.
Probably You know this yet.;)

69frames.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The number of frames depends on the magnification, the look of the BG on the distances subject-BG/camera -subject, focal lenght and aperture.
The distance in the first picture is small and I got that look. But it was the second rendering, the first was made of 69 frames.
But I didn't want to edit the halo and I didn't liked the "sticker-look". This shows why some experienced stackers choose a blurred BG when framing.
Probably You know this yet.;)
Actually not - I'm a very inexperienced 'stacker'! I've generally taken 'natural light' single frame pictures - which obviously involves compromises.

Upvote 0