New 5DSR Vs. refurbished.

Mar 23, 2016
USA
I am in the market for a 5DSR. Canon has refurbished for around $2800. I sent an email asking about if they had a shutter count policy concerning refurbished bodies and was told I could not get a shutter count on those products and they have no published policy on at what count do they do a replacement before sale. They reinforced the 1 year warranty and that they are proud of their refurbished products.

I can easily shoot over 1000 pics in a single day and I'm worried that in a year or two, I might need a new shutter on a refurb body. I have bought Canon refurb lenses in the past and been very satisfied but this is a little different with respect to wear and tear. Would folks buy it anyway and take a chance? How much does a new shutter run? I am a CPA member.

I have never bought a refurbished Canon product. However, I have used Canon for 40 years and I know the quality level of Canon services. There is no reason for Canon to push an inferior product through their refurbished sales. If it is a faulty product, it will show up during the warranty period. On that background, I would not hesitate to buy, if you think the price level/discount is right, compared to a new or alternative second hand.

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
I purchased my 5DsR gray market from GetItDigital before Canon shut them down. The 5DsR was $3K and I think the 100-400mm II was $1800. I don't know to what extent gray market still exists for Canon products. These purchases were over a year ago, and I couldn't be happier. Both products registered on line without any issues. I have only purchased a couple refurbished items, which all looked brand new. Neither were a body, so I don't know what would be typical as to shutter count. A replacement shutter isn't that expensive anyway. My brother purchased a refurbished 6D that had a very low shutter count. By the way, the cropping ability of images taken with the 5DsR is amazing. Often wildlife shot with a 400mm lens is still focal length limited. The 1.4X TC III does work well on on the aforementioned zoom with the 5DsR

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
Thanks, it seems like a safe bet.

I bought a grey market L lens last year and it also registered on line. Being overly cautious maybe to a fault, I ended up getting a 3 year replacement warranty from the dealer for accidental damage and manufacturer's defect. It kind of defeated the purpose of saving money but I did get a better warranty for the same price. Have had no problems with that lens.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Labdoc said:
I am in the market for a 5DSR. Canon has refurbished for around $2800. I sent an email asking about if they had a shutter count policy concerning refurbished bodies and was told I could not get a shutter count on those products and they have no published policy on at what count do they do a replacement before sale. They reinforced the 1 year warranty and that they are proud of their refurbished products.

I can easily shoot over 1000 pics in a single day and I'm worried that in a year or two, I might need a new shutter on a refurb body. I have bought Canon refurb lenses in the past and been very satisfied but this is a little different with respect to wear and tear. Would folks buy it anyway and take a chance? How much does a new shutter run? I am a CPA member.

I've bought refurb cameras that could be checked for shutter count, they ranged from about 25 to 250.

However, the sales that Canon has on refurb cameras sell out the popular ones in short order, sometimes in minutes.

Know what you want, and be ready to jump, otherwise they may be sld out as this camera is.

You can get a new USA model for $3199, which is about $200 more after taxes are added to the Canon Refurbished camera, so its not all that great of a deal.

Upvote 0
I have brought two cameras from Canon refurbished. One of the first things I did was check the shutter. My t2i was 23 and and my 6D was like 50. To me that is pretty much brand new just them testing it. My plan was if my camera had a horrible high shutter count was just return it. I would buy refurbished before I brought grey market, if they were the same price.

Upvote 0
We bought 7D refurb with shutter count of 4, that's right FOUR clicks. And a 60D with 68 count. BOth were in like-new condition, with all accessories and in Canon box with refurb stamp ... Excellent products. We've bought lenses too, also excellent. All come with a Canon one-year warranty.

If the price is right, would never hesitate to go Refurb with Canon...

Upvote 0
You won't be able to check the shutter count of the 5DsR without sending it to Canon. I tried several different utilities with a 5DsR I bought from KEH and that's what I found out.

In terms of buying refurbished from Canon, I bought my 6D that way and had no issues.

Personally, especially for the 5DsR I would buy it refurbished or barely used. I had mine for about two months, but I was unhappy with the image quality so I wound up selling it for what I paid.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2015
I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished 5DSR. I have bought 3 L lenses from Canon's refurbished store, and all three have been flawless. Other than not coming in retail packaging, I couldn't tell they had ever been used. I don't think many people buying $3500 cameras or $1500 lenses mistreat them brand new.

I personally would choose refurbished over new "gray market" because of the warranty.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
Labdoc said:
I can easily shoot over 1000 pics in a single day

One thousand 60-80MB shots in a single day? Yikes That's a lotta data!!

What are you shooting that you need that many 50mp frames?
I often go out for wildlife shoots and spend 10-14 hours per day. On a really good day with cooperative subjects I can easily hit 1500-2000 frames in a day. It takes about an hour to transfer 120GB. The trouble is culling through those shots to pick out the 10 - 15 keepers.

Back on topic...Canon refurb and service is incredible. I would not hesitate to purchase Canon refurb.

Upvote 0