New Canon EF-S Wide Angle Prime Announcement Coming April 5

Aug 31, 2012
LonelyBoy said:
But if you want the light-equivalent of the 70-200/2.8 for crop, so a ~45-120/1.8 or so, it'll be the same size except for the rear elements, and so as expensive as the 70-200/2.8. And for the body, yes, 10FPS is great for sports. Do you really think Canon can, or will, give a no-compromise body with FF and speed for mid-range price? I'm about to buy a 4Runner, wish I could afford a GX460, but I know Toyota can't (or won't) give me the premium version for the same price.

The zoom isn't mandatory; people can and do shoot basketball with a crop + 85/1.8. If you want to be all-in for less than $2000, there will be some compromises compared to the full pro-setup. And for a lot of people even $2000 is too much, so they'll just have to rely on whatever photographer is there from the school or paper (or go with a yet-cheaper option than you're talking about and manage to make do...).
It seems to me too that they don't get much smaller or cheaper at least for tele range. But isn't that different on the wide side?

And again, since the body difference is $2000, lenses don't need to be that much cheaper.

Primes are certainly good for indoor sports. I have used 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 for that many times, even if I much more often prefer zooms. When your photographing time is limited, you may not have a lot of opportunities and with primes they get even fewer.

With mid-price I refered to a 7D2 with suitable fast lenses. But Canon may not be the one to make those lenses.

Upvote 0