New EOS M camera specifications [CR1]

Eagle Eye

Recovering Full-Framer
CR Pro
Jul 5, 2011
Virginia
The 12 FPS is odd, as the M6 II already does 14 FPS mechanical and even 30 in the electronic crop mode. A downgrade in speed makes no sense for higher end model, and dual cards seem unlikely for an M50.

Of course it may be that Canon is getting ready to take the gloves off and ripp their competitors a new one. But I don't think the M system really requires that mucb aggression.
I agree that 12 FPS seems weird for the new flagship. In terms of aggression, by bifurcating their camera line into the M and R, Canon can essentially put whatever they want/can into the M bodies without fear of hurting their R-series sales. I wouldn’t be surprised if they roll out some M cameras that are impossible for Nikon and Sony to adequately compete with without Nikon and Sony cutting into sales of their full-frame models, which yield greater margins. Pretty genius, IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Where have you seen the two directly compared on image quality? I've been looking for basically the same reason and haven't found a good head to head comparison which seems odd for the direct successor in a line.
Specs sounds like higher than M6 II.
But if it is M50 II then that is a BIG upgrade.

Upvote 0
Unless the m50 moves upmarket, it seems likely this will be the m5 II or a new higher model, since dual card slots in a crop body is usually a high end feature (eg. 7d II).
I agree as well. I don't see the M7 which is the flagship of the EOS M line to have 12 fps meanwhile the m6 II has 14 fps. Some people get triggered when we talk about the specs of the M50 II especially M6 II owners saying things like "you might as well just wish to have everything that's superior to the M6 II but at half the price". But these people don't understand, remember back when we were comparing lower end T3i T4i DSLRs vs higher end DSLR like the 7D? They all use the same sensor with full HD 1080 recording, but the differences are things like focus points, fps, build quality, weather sealing, etc. Technology keeps on advancing and you can have newer tech on a lower end camera thats not built as tough, with lower fps, dual card slots, but with new stuffs like IBIS and animal eye AF. I don't see how thats contradicting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
If this is priced right, this might be the smaller, second body I'm on the market for. My M3 is long in the tooth, but I still want to be sure I know where Canon is heading with regards to APS-C and the R mount. I'm not one who particularly believes that an APS-C R-mount camera is coming. But because of the M-line, I'm more likely to keep my EF lenses rather than move over to RF anytime soon.

Either way, no main body R5 anywhere in sight, so this body is definitely far off for me (maybe around this time next year if I've forgiven Canon). Hopefully I'll have my R5 by then. :cautious:

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
With the Digic X I am sure there are plenty of parts that don't meet the spec that can become a lower speed part for a APSC. Though, I think at this point they need to put the best processor and best EVF into every camera to really push them. People using any Canon EVF should feel like it is the best experience ever and if they upgrade they know they'll be getting the best EVF and AF performance possible. Cut out the lag and dispel peoples distrust of the EVF.
When everything is “the best” nothing is the best.

Upvote 0
The specs look like someone analysing the R5/R6 and applying it sensibly to a higher end M series.

12fps may be heat conservation if they are increasing it elsewhere.

The M6 II and it's predecessors must be selling well enough for Canon to consider this investment. The lower models probably sell better so I would expect them to upgrade first - especially as the M6 II is coming up for 1 year old. Canon did the R5/R6 I think 2 years after the R - but that could well be as the design for those took longer and required interim models using existing tech. I'm not sure an upgraded high end M series this soon makes sense, nor do I think the mid-range will get specs above the high end....

Yet, as there is a slight possibility, I will hold off a second M6 II - I always prefer 2 bodies, and pairing it with a R5/R or even a 5Ds/5IV is a bit of a mismatch.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
7DII replacement? I was rather hoping that the flagship APS-C would be an RF mount. Maybe the new M-mount APS-C will become the M1?
I agree with you for a number of reasons which was in another thread about the M7.

I think Canon will either hope that some of the APS owners will transition to RP or discounted R, and that for the enthusiast / pros using 7D II, they will offer a Rx range. Their challenge will be how to balance it with the R6.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I have nothing to back this up but I think we may see a Canon M mount to RF adapter at the same time as the new cameras launch.

There needs to be more budget RF glass to really make this work but I could see it.
I think the size of the RF lenses negate the advantages of the size of the M series.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
RF lenses would look a bit daft on the M, surely any of the RF lenses you would really want are just comically too big and too front heavy for the M mount. Keeping M smaller seems to be the goal, Canon may have stats that M users don't upgrade to R, or perhaps hope if M uses do that they'll buy all new lenses.

As a M6 II owner, you could not be more wrong about the "too big and too heavy" comment. I've had 400 2.8 on it and my 100-400 II just about lives on the adapter. It just works and just isnt an issue.

Why do people keep saying this when actual owners keep say "Wait up a sec here...."

The 12 FPS is odd, as the M6 II already does 14 FPS mechanical and even 30 in the electronic crop mode. A downgrade in speed makes no sense for higher end model, and dual cards seem unlikely for an M50.

Of course it may be that Canon is getting ready to take the gloves off and ripp their competitors a new one. But I don't think the M system really requires that mucb aggression.

The 14fps is in shutter priority ie it doesnt really try to achieve focus between shots. The actual max speed is the tracking priority H+ which is effectively limited to 7fps. The 30fps is a burst of what is effectly a 1-2 second video grab that you need to extract the image manually. 12fps if it does it in tracking priority is a very noticable step up.

TBH most of the CR1 in this case ticks off the boxes for a potential 7D II replacement. The already superb 32mb sensor? Dual card slot? EVF? higher speed? New Digic? IBIS? All checks off nicely. Will it have different tracking cases? Thats somethign I miss from the 7D II.

Having some sort of speedbooster adapter from RF to EF-M might work????? Dont know how possible but I guess given how well Canon adapters work if they do it it'll make RF AND EF doable. That would be interesting!

SO IF this camera has dual card slots, IBIS etc, it'll prolly be bigger than all the other M series bodies so it could possibly take a bigger battery. TBH the only thing then that will make it clear wether this is the mythical 7D replacement is the weatherproofing and rugged build. THAT is a absolute must no arguement brokered requirement - and that's where I would like to have clarity on this rumoured camera. Rugged body? Thats gonna be the 7D replacement!

Upvote 0
Would be funny if this one didn't overheat as quickly in 4k60 as R5/R6 :LOL:

If it has dual card slots it has to be a high end M (like M5 II) and have a better build quality then the M50 (toyish quality) and hopefully some weather sealing.
I would like to use it as a 3rd camera with the 32mm f1.4 for weddings as the other camera's have my 24-70mm and 70-200mm.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
As a M6 II owner, you could not be more wrong about the "too big and too heavy" comment. I've had 400 2.8 on it and my 100-400 II just about lives on the adapter. It just works and just isnt an issue.

Why do people keep saying this when actual owners keep say "Wait up a sec here...."

As an M6 owner I played around with adapting heavy lenses, but after the novelty wore off, the only non-native lens I use with it is the 50 f1.8 STM because of the small size and weight.

I think we just negated each other.

On the other hand, after hearing so many comments about balance with the R5 and giant lenses like the 28-70 f2 (I have the lens in hand, but no body to test it out for myself), it reminds me of my experience with adapting lenses to the M mount anyway. If Canon makes lenses heavy enough, the difference in weight between an R and M mount camera will be negligible. :p

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Why do people keep saying this when actual owners keep say "Wait up a sec here...."[..]

I've found that using the 100-400II on an M6II is vastly improved by the Smallrig LCC2516 L bracket. It adds an extra wooden finger grip that makes it easier to control the lens when your other hand can't support the lens. Like when you need to hold nature out of the way :)
I mostly use it for dragonflies, so weird angles and tall grass are par for the course.

Upvote 0